Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191185 times)

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #800 on: 30 April, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »
I get the Newcastle train (as far as Durham) when I come down for these rides. I end up going back on the 21:54 or 23:44. The 21:54 can be tight. The 23:54 means that' there's lots of drinking time.

A problem at that time of night is finding someone to open the guards van. The bike often ends up in the lobby between carriages which I'm happier about. I've had to wedge myself in the door when getting off before to stop the train leaving before they've found the key to unlock the van door.

Ruth

« Reply #802 on: 01 May, 2014, 07:26:57 pm »
Hm.  Could've done with a ride tonight.  Never mind.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #803 on: 06 May, 2014, 09:43:14 am »
Can anyone do Thursday this week?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #804 on: 06 May, 2014, 02:31:02 pm »
Sorry - I'm not available Thursday night.

Ruth

« Reply #805 on: 06 May, 2014, 03:40:54 pm »
I finish work at 8pm this Thursday.  But I thought I might wander down to the Copper Beech for the open mic night Tiermat if you fancy?

Ruth

« Reply #806 on: 07 May, 2014, 10:55:11 pm »
I'll take that as a 'no' then shall I?

tiermat

« Reply #807 on: 08 May, 2014, 08:02:09 am »
Sorry, Ruth, I read that and then forgot.

I am, actually, doubtful for a ride tonight as I appear to have a trapped nerve, which is causing me no end of pain and sleepless nights.  This makes me even less delightful company than I normally am :(

Sorry for being totally carp...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruth

« Reply #808 on: 09 May, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »

Plonker  ;)

tiermat

« Reply #809 on: 12 May, 2014, 10:58:10 am »

Plonker  ;)

Thank you :) ;)

Any one up for this week? Wednesday or Thursday are both good for me...

« Reply #810 on: 12 May, 2014, 12:05:24 pm »
I can do this Wednesday. Usual time at yours, t?

tiermat

« Reply #811 on: 12 May, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
I can do this Wednesday. Usual time at yours, t?

Yes, see you there, then!

« Reply #812 on: 12 May, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »
There's an outside chance I might make it this Wednesday. How fast is the pace likely to be - i.e. would it be worth my while bringing the wobble-machine down (I'm not that fast yet).

« Reply #813 on: 12 May, 2014, 05:04:06 pm »
It'll be as fast (or slow) as needs be, I reckon. I haven't seen you for yonks, SC.

How about a nice trip down Foxton Lane?

« Reply #814 on: 13 May, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »
I have a pass out. Will be down for about 6:30 (and how deep is the ford on Foxton Lane at the moment?)

tiermat

« Reply #815 on: 14 May, 2014, 08:06:55 am »
Cool, see you then. If the ford is too deep we can use the bridge!

« Reply #816 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:39:37 pm »
Lovely ride, that. Yet again I was struck by mechanicals just south of Great Smeaton. At least it was just a puncture this time, rather than my crank falling off - but what a puncture!

A puncture and a half by dean.clementson, on Flickr

I've kept the bit of metal, and may frame it.

We set out at a pace which kept us just behind a grim black cloud and riding in sunshine, a combination which splayed some fabulous contrasts over the Hambleton escarpment as we rode east. We'd planned to take in Foxton Lane in the lesser-used south to north configuration, but a slight navigational error (I blame the local boys) led us instead onto the gorgeous golden road through West Harlsey and a descent into the sunset across the Vale of Mowbray, looking across to the distant Pennines.

I have some nettle rash on my shin from the footpath along the A684 to the Green Tree in Brompton. "Slow"coach's experience of the narrow, overgrown path might have been slightly different on his bent.

And a quick word about the feast of food at the Green Tree. I could hardly finish mine - the audax world needs to know how much food can be had there for six quid.

Sorry I had to scarper, but I wanted to catch the last TPE, which I did, with three minutes spare.

Good to see you both again.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #817 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:57:40 pm »
Fack! You don't do things by halves, do you!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #818 on: 14 May, 2014, 11:11:40 pm »

I've kept the bit of metal, and may frame it.

Frame it ? You could almost build a frame from that.

« Reply #819 on: 14 May, 2014, 11:14:47 pm »
Fack! You don't do things by halves, do you!

That's not the half of it - the other half was still inside the tyre.

Ironically, I only hit it cos I swung a bit out from the kerb to avoid all the hedge cuttings.

« Reply #820 on: 15 May, 2014, 10:45:17 am »
I might as well ask on here instead of starting a new thread - Can any of you recommend a route from Northallerton to Bedale that doesn't take the 684? It's only about 7 mile, but not the most pleasant riding I've done.

« Reply #821 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:01:56 am »
Romanby-Yafforth. Then go south and take Shark Lane past the riding school into Thrintoft. This lane has some sort of NCN sign on it, so it's hard to miss. Can be rough going, especially once past the riding school.  Along the gorgeous lane to Great Langton, over the Swale at the wee bridge, then Kirkby Fleetham, Little Fencote and under the M1 near Leeming and down the back road into Aiskew. I think it's possible to hop under the M1 there, but I haven't tried since the upgrade. If not, carry on down to Leeming Bar to cross the A1 near Londonderry and go into Bedale via the b-road near Exelby.

Tis a bit longwinded, but there are only so many bridges across the Swale.

« Reply #822 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:17:01 am »
Cheers, that looks just the ticket. Don't mind longwindedness, I'd just be going to Hawes, so might as well take the scenic route.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #823 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:20:57 am »
There's a good ole transport cafe in Londonderry which is worth a visit if you fancy a bite to eat. Tiermat might invite you round for coffee when he sees this, too.

tiermat

« Reply #824 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:56:56 am »
Cheers, that looks just the ticket. Don't mind longwindedness, I'd just be going to Hawes, so might as well take the scenic route.  :thumbsup:

The good news is, if you have had enough by the time you get to Leeming, you can jump on the Dales Railway, go all the way to Redmire and just finish off the last bit to Hawes!

Of course you are always welcome to pop around to THoFC for coffee.