Author Topic: [LEL] Nice/funny/strange etc. anecdotes from en route  (Read 46500 times)

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
Re: Nice/funny/strange etc. anecdotes from en route
« Reply #125 on: 08 August, 2013, 11:24:06 am »
Is it such standard practice that noone feels it worth commenting on ...

the (nameless) rider who pulled a full-size glass bottle of Jack Daniels from his saddle-bag?
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #126 on: 08 August, 2013, 11:25:26 am »
orange tricksy bike?

the famous teethgrinder

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #127 on: 08 August, 2013, 04:33:27 pm »
I was passed by a Finn/Brit duo 20-30 km before Edinburgh. When they were about 100m ahead of me, they do a U-turn (led by the Finn) and stop at the side of the road. Finn whips out his camera and points it at a dead badger (which looks bloated and ready to burst). Brit looks at me and shrugs his shoulders. When they pass me again there is an explanation of sorts: "They don't have badgers in Finland."
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #128 on: 08 August, 2013, 04:45:50 pm »
I was passed by a Finn/Brit duo 20-30 km before Edinburgh. When they were about 100m ahead of me, they do a U-turn (led by the Finn) and stop at the side of the road. Finn whips out his camera and points it at a dead badger (which looks bloated and ready to burst). Brit looks at me and shrugs his shoulders. When they pass me again there is an explanation of sorts: "They don't have badgers in Finland."

That was me and Markus.  ;D

The pic was for his girlfriend. Who says romance is dead?  :-* :smug:
Powered by Minions

« Reply #129 on: 09 August, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »
I mentioned the badger crash to a foreign rider at Great Easton and then had to attempt to describe what a badger is. Surprisingly tricky!

simonp

« Reply #130 on: 09 August, 2013, 07:27:34 pm »
As I was waiting at the lights to turn left onto the A1123 leaving St Ives northbound, I saw a tandem riding up the hill from the centre of St Ives. Briefly, I wondered if they were on the event and had missed the turning for the control, but then realised the stoker was a kid, so decided not. I passed them on the hill, then thought little more of it, but they caught up with me on the flat heading north on the B road past RAF Wyton. So they rode with me for a bit, and each asked where the other was going. "Edinburgh," I said. "The Lake District," they said. They were heading for Nottingham that night, then the Lake District the next day, so not trivial daily milage by any means. They were carrying a couple of well-filled panniers, and were going well on the flat, but not quite so fast on the gentle inclines north of St Ives. I think they probably had a very nice holiday, and it was nice to see a bloke and (presumably) his teenage son - 12 years old or thereabouts, at a guess - enjoying cycling together and taking on a decent challenge. We parted company when LEL riders turned right towards Kings Ripton.

« Reply #131 on: 09 August, 2013, 08:10:40 pm »
Ahhh, is *that* DrMekon. From Emmen!

Indeed - the joys of sub £5 second hand jerseys from eBay. Delighted to know its provenance.

« Reply #132 on: 09 August, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »
Little rise from King's Ripton up to B1090, young fellow wearing cap glances at me and spins furiously past, no greeting just a withering look. On the main road his cap blew off.

At the next junction, on another rise to the RAB, he catches me again, same thing, no greeting, just the look.

The kid inside me reacted and overtook him before the RAB.

He shouted "Git!" as I went by
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #133 on: 10 August, 2013, 07:45:46 am »
I mentioned the badger crash to a foreign rider at Great Easton and then had to attempt to describe what a badger is. Surprisingly tricky!

I had that with some oregonites as well. I think there was an assumption of something cute, fluffy and charming about the size of a rabbit

Unfortunately we'd lost contact before the corpse hove into view. I was mildly tempted to stand there and wait just to say "told you"

« Reply #134 on: 10 August, 2013, 09:02:27 am »
My alaskan ride buddy on day one was rather startled by a corpse on the road I didn't see.  Clearly it was a badger, which apparently they have in Alaska, but they are very rare.

(Personally I was startled by a road-kill hare, which had huge back legs and I though for a minute was a Wallaby)

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #135 on: 10 August, 2013, 06:16:33 pm »
My alaskan ride buddy on day one was rather startled by a corpse on the road I didn't see.  Clearly it was a badger, which apparently they have in Alaska, but they are very rare.

(Personally I was startled by a road-kill hare, which had huge back legs and I though for a minute was a Wallaby)

I saw something on Day one which I swear was a peeled monkey. Didn't stop to investigate though.
Powered by Minions

Phil W

« Reply #136 on: 10 August, 2013, 06:35:38 pm »
Riding south from Pocklington the rain started. As I headed up a hill there were thousands of tiny frogs trying to cross the road, picked out in my lights. I zig zagged with the best of them as I attempted to weave a path through. I think I succeeded.

« Reply #137 on: 10 August, 2013, 09:30:26 pm »
Riding south from Pocklington the rain started. As I headed up a hill there were thousands of tiny frogs trying to cross the road, picked out in my lights. I zig zagged with the best of them as I attempted to weave a path through. I think I succeeded.

Waste of time mate, they'd all been squished by the time I got there  ;D

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #138 on: 10 August, 2013, 09:38:20 pm »
I rescued a few toads, as well as the newt I found on the road to Eskdalemuir. I also found a very large water vole sitting on the road. It was looking rather traumatised, as if something really horrible had just happened. I picked it up and put it safely on the verge, but I don't hold up much hope for it.  :-[