Author Topic: Chapati  (Read 2261 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Chapati
« on: 17 July, 2014, 10:33:00 pm »
Right, I have purchased a 10 kilo bag of chapati flour for the amazing sum of £3

So the first recipe that I will try is : http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chapatis_77146

First impressions are that it feels like I'm making glue and it seems to stick to my fingers and bowl.  Am going to let the 'dough' sit for about 45mins..ok while I listen to the news quiz extra.  Then I shall attempt to make 12 balls and then flatten them out and then fry the bread.

Wish me luck.

Re: Chapati
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2014, 10:47:57 pm »
Many years ago, when I was a student, I watched Asian friends flattening the dough by hand, tossing it from hand to hand until it was wafer thin, then deftly turning it over a bare gas ring. I had moderate success trying to copy them.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2014, 12:14:27 am »
Ok I cheated and sprayed my hands with oil before rolling the mix in to balls.  Then rolled the balls in flour before rolling out thin.

This is really easy, must be the bread making experience, rolled thin the mix turns out some crispy thin chapati's.  Adding a few infused oils seems to make the chapattis even more awesome.

It is my new thing....well until I have consumed 10kg of flour.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2014, 07:50:09 am »
If you don't want the dough to stick to your hands, dust them with flour, not oil.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

levitator

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2014, 12:38:14 pm »
I've been making chapattis for years, usually use ordinary wholemeal flour because we don't often have chapatti flour in although chapatti flour is probably better.

You need a gas cooker or burner, an old frying pan (preferably NOT non-stick), and an 'implement' (see below).  If you have all electric, get a single burner butane stove from a camping shop.

The dough should be simply flour and water, oil is optional, and fairly dry.  Much drier than the consistency of the dough for making ordinary bread.  After kneading (not too much) it should be really firm with no hint of stickiness.  Sorry I can't think how to describe the feel of the dough in words.

I usually add a spoonful of oil into the dough to make it a bit moister, but you can do without.

Let the dough rest for an hour or so after kneading.

Roll into balls about the size of a walnut and roll out with a rolling pin until quite thin and the size of the frying pan.  Keep dusting the sides with more flour to avoid sticking.  If youre not going to cook the chapatis straightaway, stack them up between layers of kitchen paper and cover the stack with clingfilm to keep moist.

heat the frying pan really hot but dry, put in a chapatti but turn it after only ten or fifteen seconds, when you can feel the dough beginnng to bubble up under your fingers, then another ten or fifteen seconds on the other side.

Transfer the chapatti to your implement and wave it around horizontally over the gas flame turning over several times until it puffs up all over.  Mind your fingers!  Serve at once.

Good luck.

levitator

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2014, 12:40:27 pm »
Ah, the 'implement'.  I meant to explain.  It's a wire ring, with a couple of 'spokes', a bit smaller than the base of your frying pan, and with a long handle to hold it by.  I made it out of an old wire coat-hanger.  You simply lay the chapatti on the ring and hold it (but not your fingers) over the gas.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2014, 08:13:23 pm »
If you don't want the dough to stick to your hands, dust them with flour, not oil.

Tried that but get the feeling that I'm just adding flour to the mix making a dry mix.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2014, 08:19:17 pm »
Have seen the chapatis being 'cooked' with open flame from a gas pipe, but think in my case I'll just use a frying pan to cook the chapati.

Have used the atta flour to make pasta.  The flour is supposed to be good for eggless pasta but I stuck a couple of eggs for flavour.  Will stick it through the pasta machine a few times to get the pasta ready after the first rest.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2014, 08:55:17 pm »

Tried that but get the feeling that I'm just adding flour to the mix making a dry mix.
Coating your hands with oil will make the dough stickier. Use flour.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2014, 11:06:11 pm »

Today did the flour method and the pasta came out dry, really dry but I suspect that the mix was quite dry to start with.  Not helped by the weather being so nice.

Also oil means that items don't stick to other surfaces and the item remains moist.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2014, 05:42:43 am »
I've been bought up to not use nowt but flour and water, open flame and a bent coat hanger :) Always worked a treat.

If it's sticking to your hands, use flour on your hands. I sometimes tend to mix in some chilli/salt/mustard seeds/chives for extra flavour.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2014, 08:40:34 am »

Today did the flour method and the pasta came out dry, really dry but I suspect that the mix was quite dry to start with.  Not helped by the weather being so nice.

Also oil means that items don't stick to other surfaces and the item remains moist.
Gattopardo, I have been making pastry and dough regularly for nearly 40 years. If it's sticking to your hands, you need to flour your hands. Oil will make the dough stickier.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 21 July, 2014, 09:08:20 pm »
I've been bought up to not use nowt but flour and water, open flame and a bent coat hanger :) Always worked a treat.

If it's sticking to your hands, use flour on your hands. I sometimes tend to mix in some chilli/salt/mustard seeds/chives for extra flavour.

Agree on the adding something to make the chapati special.

My stove is electric so used the pan method.  This is the first time that I have made chapati's, so am looking to get proficient first.  Have been flouring as chapati mix is quite dry.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2014, 09:38:34 pm »

Gattopardo, I have been making pastry and dough regularly for nearly 40 years. If it's sticking to your hands, you need to flour your hands. Oil will make the dough stickier.

Have never had a problem with pastry and crumbles sticking to fingers. With wet doughs for bread I always use oil that way the dough stays wet and doesn't stick.  It is what I have been taught, with chapati's it is all new.

rr

« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2014, 12:19:32 am »
The first method on this video -- the one with the tea towel, is the way my Rajistani inlaws make their roti - http://youtu.be/WkzTt1jpdDM?list=PL28SSg2U_Izjj9haXClS09GqJdyZtA963

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #15 on: 27 July, 2014, 10:45:15 pm »
Ah now I'm going to 'cook' them with blow lamp.  ;D after the initial bit in the pan.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #16 on: 29 July, 2014, 12:39:10 am »
I did this tonight and it was fun....