Author Topic: Looking for some local knowledge - Gloucester  (Read 1371 times)

AJB

Looking for some local knowledge - Gloucester
« on: 03 May, 2020, 03:37:18 pm »
With all this extra time on my hands (like many), I'm in the process of reviewing all the PERMS that I run with the intent to revise route sheets and generate GPX tracks. Extensive use of googlemaps and its streetview facility is being used. However, for those rides further from my home area I'm lacking local knowledge.

One of the rides (El Supremos 1000) uses a control at Michaelwoods Services on the M5, following by another control at the Strentham Services again on the M5.

The most direct (legal) route would be to take the A38 from just north of Stone heading north through Gloucester and Tewkesbury continuing on the A38 before turning off towards Strentham

The shortest walking distance is https://goo.gl/maps/tpgXkZ49s5zfqTMe6

I recall cycling along the A38 for a distance on Blacksheep's Rough Diamond 300 a number of years ago into Tewkesbury and was not that concerned at the time.

However in recent years road usage has increased so this lack of concern may now be displaced.

What do people, with local knowledge, think about cycling on the A38 into Gloucester?

Is Southgate St in Gloucester open to cyclist or are there timed restrictions?

My current thinking is

Retrace back to the Mule St      
R @ T      
R @ T $ A38 Gloucester      
2nd exit @ RAB $ A38 Gloucester      
2nd exit @ RAB $ A38 Gloucester      
1st exit @ Cross Keys RAB $ Gloucester      
L $ Hardwicke (Avoids more of A38)      
2nd exit @ RAB $ Gloucester      
3rd exit @ RAB by Tesco $ Gloucester (Bristol Rd)      
SO @ T/Lts & keep in L Ln $ City Centre      
Keep L into Bus Lane      
R Imm after KFC       
SO @ T/Lts  onto Bristol Rd Trading Estate      
SO @ T/Lts      
SO @ T/Lts      
SO @ T/Lts by Lidl      
SO @ T/Lts    
SO @ T/Lts passing Travelodge on L      
2nd exit @ MRAB      
Keep L Large Iron Art Work & Imm R onto Pedestrian Zone (Southgate St)      
Keep L at end of Pedestrian Zone      
1st exit @ MRAB (Worcester St)      
SO @ T/Lts and under Bridge      
2nd exit @ RAB A38 Tewkesbury      
2nd exit @ RAB A38 Tewkesbury      
SO @ T/Lts       
1st exit @ RAB $ Tewkesbury      
1st exit @ RAB with War Memorial       
1st exit @ MRAB $ Worcester      
R @ (X) $ CHURCH END      
Keep L by Village Green $ TWYNING      
In TWYNING R @ T $ Hillend      
L by Green Tri $ HILLEND      
Keep L and over M50      
L $ Upton      
1st R thro No Entry on Private Rd      
to M5 Strensham North CONTROL      
(Obtain a Receipt)      

If staying at M5 Strensham South then       
ignore the L $ Upton and continue over      
the M5 and take 1st R (Church Rd) then      
1st R thro No Entry on Private Rd to      
CONTROL      
(Obtain a Receipt)         

Stay Healthy

Anton

Fennec

Re: Looking for some local knowledge - Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2020, 04:09:07 pm »
The very centre of town (the Cross) is 'get off and push' between 10am and 5pm, and that includes some of Southgate and Northgate, which your route uses. It is fairly regularly enforced.

One legitimate alternative is NCN 41, which you could pick up by bearing left onto Kimbrose Way after the iron artwork, then doing a right onto Barbican Way (easy turn to miss, but there's ped crossing just near it). NCN41 then takes you round the Cathedral and eventually onto Worcester St, which then becomes Kingsholm Rd and the A38.

Otherwise, I think your route is fine - the A38 bits aren't something you'd write a poem about, but IMHO they aren't hideous as the M5 takes the bulk of the traffic. The two roundabouts heading north out of town are my least favourite parts.

AJB

« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2020, 04:16:32 pm »
Fennec

Thanks for the feedback.

I take a look at your suggestion regarding Southgate St

Anton

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2020, 04:31:53 pm »
I've often ridden the A38 from central Bristol all the way up to Gloucester and on through to Tewkesbury or even Upton-on-Severn (well, sort of; I think I've only ridden from Upton to Tewkesbury never the other direction). It's fine, though I'd avoid rush hours. At the moment it should be finer. As Fennec says, I'd go a different way if I wanted inspiration but it's not scary. Although I'd come off it at the first slip road after it becomes dual on the outskirts of Gloucester (I think you've done this anyway). Actually, if not in a hurry I'd take the left just before the RAB, sp Hardwicke Church, left at next RAB, over canal and follow towpath.

Southgate I can never work out the precise restrictions but IME if you ride through the Cross cautiously you'll be fine. Normally I'd put a shout out here for Pepper's Cafe on Bull Lane, just off Westgate, but today I'll only mention them for posterity.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

AJB

« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2020, 05:30:01 pm »
Cudzoziemiec

Thanks for the feedback

Anton

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2020, 06:50:35 pm »
I've used the A38 from Gloucester, [northbound, Tewkesbury direction] leading relatively inexperienced riders with no complaints - it's wide, with fairly light traffic when we've been there. We used the pavement shared-use cyclepaths through the outskirts of the city.

I know of one recumbent rider who took the A38 from Tewkesbury to the Severn Bridge, avoiding the Forest of Dean lumps on the "ACME Grand 1000km" in 2018. I think he went through in the wee small hours though.

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2020, 07:26:28 pm »
You can avoid the Cross Keys roundabout and the short stretch of busy dual carriageway north of it by turning left just before the roundabout ($ Hardwicke church) then working through the estate to join the B4008 opposite Aldi. The end of School Lane (by Aldi) is pedestrian but you can get through on the bike.

It's a bit longer but rather more pleasant.

AJB

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:03:05 pm »
I've used the A38 from Gloucester, [northbound, Tewkesbury direction] leading relatively inexperienced riders with no complaints - it's wide, with fairly light traffic when we've been there. We used the pavement shared-use cyclepaths through the outskirts of the city.

I know of one recumbent rider who took the A38 from Tewkesbury to the Severn Bridge, avoiding the Forest of Dean lumps on the "ACME Grand 1000km" in 2018. I think he went through in the wee small hours though.

Thanks for the info. Like I said in the OP I recall no problem with the A38 into Tewkesbury when doing the Rough Diamond 300k years ago.

AJB

« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:06:57 pm »
You can avoid the Cross Keys roundabout and the short stretch of busy dual carriageway north of it by turning left just before the roundabout ($ Hardwicke church) then working through the estate to join the B4008 opposite Aldi. The end of School Lane (by Aldi) is pedestrian but you can get through on the bike.

It's a bit longer but rather more pleasant.

I’ll consider the Hardwicke Church turning once I have a chance to route check (whenever that will be)