Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 429859 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2000 on: 18 November, 2019, 12:57:29 pm »
Even seemingly flat paths often have a slight camber. Here's a run along the Thames Path from Putney to Richmond and back from a few years ago.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1075083351

Scroll down to the Ground Contact Time Balance graph at the bottom (and enlarge it) and you can clearly see the shift across the mid-point when I reach the turnaround point at halfway.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2001 on: 09 December, 2019, 01:58:44 pm »
Got the OK from the phyiso to start running again four and a bit months after doing my ankle.

Suggestion is to do the Couch to 5k to build back up the load on the ankle which should see me doing 5k in one go by late January.

Shall nip out for W1D1 later this afternoon and will try to resist the temptation to do too much.

(It's going to be interesting as it's only a further 9 weeks after the end of the c25k until the London Landmarks Half Marathon which I have a place in. Hmm.)

« Reply #2002 on: 09 December, 2019, 03:51:07 pm »
I did my furthest ever run on Friday - 24km. I'd managed a good steady fast pace to 22km. The last 2km were a bit shonky, but at least part of that was due to finishing on really crappy terrain (dune slack - not ideal for maintaining good form). Some of it was also thinking mentally of getting to 1/2 marathon distance, so I had a slight mental collapse after that. I felt a bit sore afterwards, but managed a reasonably fast parkrun 5km the following day, so no major ill effects.

The plan is to keep most of the pace on and increase a little bit each month. I might need to do some new routes to keep it interesting. The main problem with that is that 'interesting routes' around here tend to involve a lot of hills.

« Reply #2003 on: 09 December, 2019, 06:17:59 pm »
Well done.
I'm building up to a half marathon. Even at 7km my routes are mostly up a hill, varying which one for variety.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2004 on: 17 December, 2019, 07:39:54 pm »
I seem to have purchased a tri suit.
I look like a badly stuffed teddy bear.
(But no worse than my TT skinsuit !)

And a set of training fins.
And goggles.
For my first swim coaching session on Thursday.

I've also signed up for the first of the local duathlon series in Jan.

Where is this nonsense going to end?

« Reply #2005 on: 17 December, 2019, 10:03:57 pm »
Kona!

Feanor

« Reply #2006 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:30:46 pm »
Aye, perhaps.

My goals are more locally focused.

Celtman

« Reply #2007 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:32:40 pm »
Yes, there are plenty of long distance tris out there that you don't pay through the nose just for the Ironman branding.

Saying that, I'm looking at a 70.3 next year and hopefully a full IM in 2022 (i've been talking about it for a long time though!)

Feanor

« Reply #2008 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:35:58 pm »
Indeed.

I'm not able to do Celtman next year ( it's sold out already ), but I'm working towards being able to do it the following year.

And up here, the Celtman brand has somewhat greater kudos than IM.
(Not that I'm interested in kudos. No siree!)

« Reply #2009 on: 30 December, 2019, 10:29:55 pm »
I've done a hard run and an 8.6km long run this week and feeling it in my legs a bit. So i'm at the balance of being a bit behind my building to a half marathon plan but also knowing that my right hamstring needs a spot of recovery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2010 on: 13 January, 2020, 04:27:09 pm »
Back into running after a work induced (need to earn money) break up to Xmas.  Pencilled in a half marathon XC on 1st March and a 16 mile XC in early April if I don't pick up insurmountable training injuries.  Will enter as late as possible to avoid having to bin it off if I stupidly over train.

That only gives me 8 weeks to get half-marathon ready from scratch.  Going fine so far but I'm still only doing short distances. Starting to gently ramp up from this week now I've got back into the habit.  Haven't run the course before but expecting some hills so any time under 2hr 15m will be welcome.

« Reply #2011 on: 13 January, 2020, 05:55:14 pm »
That only gives me 8 weeks to get half-marathon ready from scratch.  Going fine so far but I'm still only doing short distances. Starting to gently ramp up from this week now I've got back into the habit.  Haven't run the course before but expecting some hills so any time under 2hr 15m will be welcome.

Depends on what your 'scratch' is? If your current 'scratch' is "could do 5k fine but would struggle with 10k" then 8 weeks is pushing it w.r.t. possible injuries. A max 10% increase in max-distance/volume per week means you can only double things (longest run distance, total weekly volume) every 8 weeks. So if your "scratch" is "could knock out a 10k plus some shorter runs now" then you could get to HM in 8 weeks and keep within the 10% rule of thumb.

Saying all of that I'm pushing things myself. I'm coming back from an ankle injury and will have completed C25K by mid-Feb (and so I'll be doing 3x5km runs by then) and then it's only 6 weeks from then until the London Landmarks HM at the end of March. 6 weeks of 10% increases takes a 5k run to almost 9k but the ~15k/week total volume goes up to ~26.5k/week, which should be enough to mangle into a 5k gentle run early in the final week and then the HM. I don't care about a time and so I'll be happy to finish even if I only run the first ~15km and walk the rest. (I hate wasting entries and there's no way to transfer it or defer it a year.)

« Reply #2012 on: 13 January, 2020, 07:18:15 pm »
The key to getting round them is not to increase the training too fast, but to make sure the week before is easy and that you have a couple (or even more) days off before the event. Then take it steady and hope to survive.

Enjoy - I’m up to about 7 miles now in between rest days and bike rides.

« Reply #2013 on: 14 January, 2020, 01:15:53 pm »
Yep, I've learnt from experience that there's no point rushing progress otherwise I inevitably cease training with some injury.  I could knock out a 10k tomorrow in under an hour but I've been deliberately holding back until I speed up the shorter runs a bit and shift a few kg.  Focusing on ramping up overall distance steadily and then start adding in longer runs in a couple of weeks once the base miles are better established.  Going ok so far.

Good luck everyone with your goals this year :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2014 on: 14 January, 2020, 05:21:00 pm »
i ran the 9km run this saturday with no prior training for a year, except riding bikes. i was pleased about the pace (4:15), however was hit with the most severe doms. i don't feel that i've got myself injured, but three days later the pain is really bad, i walk in small steps like an "old man" and walking down the stairs is quite a challenge.

« Reply #2015 on: 14 January, 2020, 06:10:06 pm »
i ran the 9km run this saturday with no prior training for a year, except riding bikes. i was pleased about the pace (4:15), however was hit with the most severe doms. i don't feel that i've got myself injured, but three days later the pain is really bad, i walk in small steps like an "old man" and walking down the stairs is quite a challenge.

Yep, that's what you get for running further than your body is used to. Cycling is great for cardio-vascular fitness and certain groups of leg muscles, but the quads and hamstrings are hit much harder by running than cycling.

If you'd been doing even 2-3 5km runs a week then the longer run is unlikely to have resulted in such severe (if any) DOMS.

Cold water on the legs (i.e. cool showers on the lower half or, even better, cool/cold baths) work wonders for me. I'd often come back from a long run and have a warm bath (keeping my legs elevated out of the bath) and then sitting upright, letting the water out slowly and turning the cold tap on and trying to stay in for at least 10 minutes.

At one point my old training regime would often have me doing a HM in the morning one day of the week and then going for an afternoon swim in the local pool whilst my daughter had her lesson. Even a 30 minute gentle swim in 26 deg C water was enough to bring my legs back to life.

If it's really bad then walking backwards down stairs works as it avoids reliance on those specific quads to take your weight each step.

« Reply #2016 on: 14 January, 2020, 07:46:17 pm »
I’m sure I’ve told the tale before, but in my youth I decided to do some track work. Coming off nice steady road running I went out and ran 16 x 100m.

I spent the thick end of a week shuffling downstairs using my arms to carry my weight on the bannister.

Feanor

« Reply #2017 on: 14 January, 2020, 07:53:36 pm »
I did a local duathlon on Sunday, and got the pacing a wee bit off.

4k run at 4:30, hilly 16k bike at full-on 10 mile TT effort, leaving nothing in my legs for the second 4k run at 5:00!

Feeling it today.

« Reply #2018 on: 15 January, 2020, 09:48:28 am »
8 of them for pre-school running club this morning despite the dark/wet/cold, although 4 of them are semi-coerced as their parents also run.

Ankle held up to more running and less walking, and also trail shoes and more uneven surfaces. Getting back slowly...

[EDIT] Saying that, the next run (C25K W5D3) is a straight 20 minute run bookended by 5 minutes of walking as a warm-up/cool-down. This will be another partial commute for me, with the rest done by Boris Bike.

« Reply #2019 on: 17 January, 2020, 11:24:16 am »
[EDIT] Saying that, the next run (C25K W5D3) is a straight 20 minute run bookended by 5 minutes of walking as a warm-up/cool-down. This will be another partial commute for me, with the rest done by Boris Bike.

And that went surprisingly well. A gentle parkrun tomorrow with my 10yo, last time she did one was 4 years ago so a PB shouldn't take long.

« Reply #2020 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:47:28 am »
Steady paced hilly 4 miles on Saturday and a more level 4.9 miles on Sunday giving 16 miles over the last week.  No planned increase this week but will work on a slight increase in pace.
I've entered the 16 mile run in early April but haven't entered the planned half marathon on 1st March in order to avoid pushing the build-up to early.  If I'm ready for that then fine, but I'd rather arrive at the 16 miler fit and well than push too hard too early.
Going well so far...

« Reply #2021 on: 20 January, 2020, 03:15:20 pm »
The first 73 finishers ran sub 20 this morning.

Quite a few of the keener kayak racers also do parkruns.  One weekend they were commenting that they'd just seen someone do the parkrun in a tad over 18min. While pushing a toddler in a 3-wheeled buggy.

Sure, the course was flat, but even so . . .
A friend of my husband's can do this. He was joking that his daughter was "first female" at one of the parkruns they did...

« Reply #2022 on: 20 January, 2020, 08:08:17 pm »
The first 73 finishers ran sub 20 this morning.

Quite a few of the keener kayak racers also do parkruns.  One weekend they were commenting that they'd just seen someone do the parkrun in a tad over 18min. While pushing a toddler in a 3-wheeled buggy.

Sure, the course was flat, but even so . . .
A friend of my husband's can do this. He was joking that his daughter was "first female" at one of the parkruns they did...

I would say the impressive bit is still getting enough training in to do that after having a child - shows dedication to the running cause!

« Reply #2023 on: 20 January, 2020, 08:31:08 pm »
On our parkrun's first birthday, back in 2014, Liz Yelling and her husband Martin were special guests. Martin ran our full cross-country course with a double buggy. He started at the back, so as not to get in the way in the initial rush, but at about 1.2k flew past me as if I were standing still. OK, so he's a professional (or pretty close) and a lot younger than me, but it was still very impressive.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2024 on: 28 January, 2020, 11:08:03 pm »
Training going ok, and mercifully injury free. Did a hilly 4 miles Sat, 10k Sun and 5k this morning. Total weekly is up to 17-18 miles. Similar week planned next week before progressing the long slow run up to 8 miles, then 10 the following week if no problems.
Previous experience suggests it’s the longer runs which shake out the injuries so I’m still not confident enough to enter the half marathon on 1st March, yet. Watch this space.