Author Topic: Liverpool  (Read 24791 times)

Re: Liverpool
« Reply #50 on: 06 April, 2020, 08:24:59 pm »
U-turn - LFC will now just pay the furloughed staff from club funds:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/06/liverpool-reverse-decision-to-furlough-staff-after-fierce-criticism-coronavirus

Lots of fans, local and national press, local authorities and others applied pressure. Should have consulted with them (not the press) before announcing stuff.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 06 April, 2020, 08:51:28 pm »
Or could have simply Done The Right Thing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #52 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:34:24 am »
Or could have simply Done The Right Thing.
That's an interesting statement. Many football clubs will be using this scheme, and it will be a lifeline for many smaller clubs that will stop them going under. At least 4 other premier league clubs have used the scheme (including the one who made the biggest profit last year).

I understand why people hold football clubs to higher standards than other businesses. They are supposed to be part of the community etc. The bit that confuses me is why do we hold some clubs to a higher standard than others? Norwich, Spurs, Bournemouth and Newcastle have had put the staff on this scheme, to almost no noise at all.  And at least one of them (Spurs) is not topping up the wages - they are just paying furloughed staff 80% of their normal salary. No-one expects Newcastle to do anything other than try to save pennies (Mike Ashley), but the other 3 are supposedly bastions of well run clubs with sound owners.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #53 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:58:31 am »
The reason we hold football clubs to higher standards is because of our emotional connection to them. It was mostly Liverpool fans who were clamouring for this decision to be overturned.

John Henry, the owner, is widely perceived as one of the good guys (relatively, for a hedge-fund billionaire). Peter Moore, the chief exec, is a boyhood Liverpool fan, 'one of us'. So Liverpool fans felt betrayed by this action that they felt didn't represent their values. Newcastle fans don't quite have the same relationship with their owner.

The initial decision won't have been taken lightly, and probably was made with expectation of some backlash (given the public reaction to Spurs and Newcastle doing the same). But maybe they didn't anticipate the level of the backlash.

I have mixed feelings about it. Even though Liverpool are one of the world's richest clubs, this situation will be hitting them hard financially, and there will be lasting effects on the business side of things. So I didn't feel quite so strongly as some people about their decision to use the furlough scheme. We also don't know what other measures have been taken - I'm assuming that like many other companies, the board have taken significant pay cuts themselves, they just haven't publicised the fact (and nor should they - they can afford to take the hit so it's nothing to congratulate them for).

But I am glad that they have backtracked and done what is perceived to be the decent thing, and been big enough to make an unequivocal apology for it.

In the long term, I'm hoping this terrible situation forces the whole football industry to recalibrate its values. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #54 on: 09 April, 2020, 08:56:29 am »
John Henry, the owner, is widely perceived as one of the good guys

Yeah,despite also being the owner of the Red Sox (Eurgh), he is actually doing the right thing there:
https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/03/coronavirus-boston-red-sox-expand-funding-for-ballpark-workers-to-15-million-covering-aramark-employees.html

« Reply #55 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:02:45 am »
And their back! Stuttering re-start to the season in the Liverpool derby on Sunday but a 4:0 thrashing of Crystal Palace last night.
Two points needed now from seven games and that's only if Man City win every match they have left.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #56 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:09:35 am »
Three and a half amazing goals!*

* One wasn't half amazing, it was just quite good.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #57 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:28:19 am »
Which one do you think was less than fully amazing?

I thought everything about the all-round performance was fantastic, especially Fabinho's part in it. One of the best of the season, in fact - only behind the Boxing Day game at Leicester, and the two home wins against the Manc clubs.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #58 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:35:28 am »
I think the last one.

But you are right, they were all good!

Which reminds me, I must find a rerun of the Watford - Liverpool match to watch. I missed it live  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #59 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:36:42 am »
This was off the back of 4 straight wins by Palace, albeit a pandemic ago.

citoyen

« Reply #60 on: 25 June, 2020, 12:36:53 pm »
I think the last one.

The finish on the last one was pretty run-of-the-mill by Mané's standards, but the sublime through ball from Salah is what made it special for me.

Which reminds me, I must find a rerun of the Watford - Liverpool match to watch. I missed it live  ;D

:hand:

« Reply #61 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:15:04 pm »
I think the last one.

The other thing about the last goal is that Mane recovers the loose ball midway inside the Liverpool half (right on the touchline) and starts his run from there.

citoyen

« Reply #62 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:25:09 pm »
The other thing about the last goal is that Mane recovers the loose ball midway inside the Liverpool half (right on the touchline) and starts his run from there.

Yep - Mané to Firmino to Salah to Mané. Beautiful harmony from the front three.

Mané also does well to change the angle of his run to stay onside.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 27 June, 2020, 11:57:20 am »
Good to see:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/400082-joint-statement-from-lfc-merseyside-police-and-liverpool-city-council

Throughout the last week, Liverpool Football Club, Merseyside Police, Liverpool City Council and Spirit of Shankly have worked together to consistently remind people that the region is still disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and ask people to celebrate LFC’s Premier League title win safely.

Several thousand people turned up at the Pier Head on Friday June 26 and some chose to ignore the social distancing guidance and risk public safety.

Our city is still in a public health crisis and this behaviour is wholly unacceptable.

The potential danger of a second peak of COVID-19 still exists and we need to work together to make sure we don’t undo everything that has been achieved as a region during lockdown.

When it is safe to do so, we will all work together to arrange a victory parade when everyone can come together to celebrate. Until that time, the safety of our city and our people continues to be our number one priority.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #64 on: 09 July, 2020, 11:55:14 am »
So do we thing they will break Manchester City’s record points tally? Nine points needed from the four games left this season, that's tight.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #65 on: 09 July, 2020, 01:42:42 pm »
The games left are
Burnley (h)
Arsenal (a)
Chelsea (h)
Newcastle (a)

As impressive as the current points tally (only dropped 10 of a possible 102) is the fact that they have won all 17 of their home (PL) games this season so far. I see no reason why they can't get 9 points from those games (and 8 would get them 100 points and level with City).

citoyen

« Reply #66 on: 09 July, 2020, 02:55:49 pm »
Winning all four remaining games is a distinct possibility. Three wins and a draw would be 102 points, which would put Liverpool's two-season aggregate one point ahead of Man City's 198 amassed over the previous two seasons.

The current 92 points is already the sixth-highest title winning total ever - and two of the higher totals are from City's 17-18 and 18-19 seasons, which is mad. Between City and Liverpool, they've raised the bar to ridiculous levels over the past three seasons.

There's a website that rates clubs using an Elo-type scoring system (a reference Wowbagger should get!), and they rate this year's Liverpool as the fourth greatest team of all time.
http://clubelo.com/Stats

The last (and only) team to win all its home games was Sunderland in 1892, when there were only 13 home games in the season (and they lost five of their away games). Incidentally, the same year Liverpool FC was formed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #67 on: 09 July, 2020, 03:11:01 pm »
Interesting to see Pep Guardiola three times in the top ten with three different teams. They seem to have stats going back to 1939 – I reckon those two figure year formats are going to become ambiguous soon, if they aren't already!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

« Reply #68 on: 09 July, 2020, 03:33:28 pm »
Interesting to see Pep Guardiola three times in the top ten with three different teams.

But conspicuously no sign of "the Special One"  :P

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #69 on: 09 July, 2020, 05:24:46 pm »
Winning all four remaining games is a distinct possibility. Three wins and a draw would be 102 points, which would put Liverpool's two-season aggregate one point ahead of Man City's 198 amassed over the previous two seasons.

The current 92 points is already the sixth-highest title winning total ever - and two of the higher totals are from City's 17-18 and 18-19 seasons, which is mad. Between City and Liverpool, they've raised the bar to ridiculous levels over the past three seasons.

There's a website that rates clubs using an Elo-type scoring system (a reference Wowbagger should get!), and they rate this year's Liverpool as the fourth greatest team of all time.
http://clubelo.com/Stats

The last (and only) team to win all its home games was Sunderland in 1892, when there were only 13 home games in the season (and they lost five of their away games). Incidentally, the same year Liverpool FC was formed.

Calculating Elo ratings uses a complicated formula and when I was junior organiser for the Essex Chess Association, I managed to get it into a spreadsheet, and it seemed to work pretty well. We had a number of youngsters who were top internationals and one of these, Karl Mah, was playing FIDE rated tournaments from an early age. I was always very pleased that the results he achieved in local tournaments always produced a rating very close the his performance against world class players.

« Reply #70 on: 11 July, 2020, 04:53:48 pm »

And they'll remain the only team to have won all their home games (I'm guessing that's just the top division).

Points record a bit harder now.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #71 on: 11 July, 2020, 04:55:10 pm »
Yep. Amazing performance by the Burnley keeper today. Can't argue with that.

« Reply #72 on: 16 July, 2020, 07:52:28 am »
And the chance of a 100 point season gone now.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #73 on: 16 July, 2020, 04:07:28 pm »
Bizarrely, a lot of Liverpool fans on social media seem to be quite upset by this. Which is insane. It has still been an incredible season.

There was a banner in the stands last night gloating about Arsenal's unbeaten season but that's what they're reduced to these days - living on past glories.

« Reply #74 on: 16 July, 2020, 05:25:04 pm »
I think they may already be living on past glories!  A look at the table shows that, apart from Leicester, Newcastle (13th) are the first team you get to who have a worse record since the re-start.  Interesting.  Maybe they are missing Geordie Henderson!