Author Topic: Rocket/Arugula pesto  (Read 1784 times)

goatpebble

Rocket/Arugula pesto
« on: 21 January, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »
A decade or more ago, when it was absurdly fashionable, I made rocket pesto too much. This evening my local shop was clearing the little packets, and I bought a couple.

I have a big old mortar, and I pounded a clove of garlic, a tablespoon of pine nuts, the rocket, black pepper, some sea salt, a knob of butter (a suggestion from an Italian friend), a glug of my friend's olive oil, and some seriously good Pecorino cheese.

I made the pesto, and went out to buy a bottle of suitable wine. I returned to my apartment, and the most wonderful smell greeted me. The aroma of the pounded rocket had filled my small home. Peppery, earthy, and wonderful.

This pesto deserves some real homemade pasta. I am not that clever, and I don't have a machine, so I did it by hand, and my simple wide noodles, dressed with such zesty stuff, well I have to say, just try it.

Re: Rocket/Arugula pesto
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2010, 09:10:16 pm »
Goaty you are right up there with Nigel Slater in my pantheon of food writers who actually make me drool without even having to see so much as a picture of the food. So glad your back.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2010, 09:11:08 pm »
Yes, just ace

Keep it coming Goaters :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2010, 09:28:15 pm »
The Elizabeth David de nos jours. :-*
Getting there...

goatpebble

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2010, 09:36:56 pm »
I really do not know what to say. My life is so crap right now that some cheering food stuff seems worth sharing.

Thank you.

Apart from the pasta. I can talk about pasta! Do not be put off about the 'handmade' stuff in my post. I just roll it out quite roughly, thin enough, but without any real style or finesse. It gets cut into ribbons, and layed out on a tea towel. I can assure you that my kitchen was rather messy.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2010, 10:21:01 pm »
Agree with all the above comments.

Homemade pasta; when Mrs Cudzo was a little jevchinka, she used to love going round her aunt's house cos there was often homemade pasta. It's still a fairly common thing in rural Poland, though it would be made with ordinary flour, not durum.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2010, 11:10:54 pm »
One day I shall try making pasta.  When I do, it will be served with Goatpebblepesto  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2010, 11:44:07 pm »
I love foreign supermarkets, looking at stuff we don't have here. I was in one Stateside not long ago, mesmerised by their range of olives and chillies, when I saw packs of Arugula... how cool, I thought - I've never even heard of that stuff!

::-)

goatpebble

« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2010, 09:13:45 pm »
I love foreign supermarkets, looking at stuff we don't have here. I was in one Stateside not long ago, mesmerised by their range of olives and chillies, when I saw packs of Arugula... how cool, I thought - I've never even heard of that stuff!

::-)

Rhys, it's just rocket. You can buy it everywhere in the UK. Actually, you can buy seeds and grow it yourself. It has a wonderful mustardy peppery flavour.

Later this year I will have to struggle with language when in San Francisco!

Arugula = Rocket
Cilantro = Coriander (the fresh leafy stuff)

And that's just the simple stuff!

goatpebble

« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2010, 09:24:46 pm »
One day I shall try making pasta.  When I do, it will be served with Goatpebblepesto  :)

Charlotte, believe me, it's a 5 minute job. Nothing more than eggs and flour, a bit of mess, a rolling pin, and some enthusiasm. I am seriously not good at it, but simple flat noodles, that look like quite acceptable tagliatelle, are not too difficult.

Actually, if you cut them a little wider, they have a simple and rustic sort of glamour. They look superb when sauced, on a big white plate.

It's a cheap experiment, and you really cannot go too wrong. Try it first for a nice supper with a tolerant and helpful loved one. The homemade stuff absorbs sauces in a very different way from commercial dried pasta.

goatpebble

« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »
Agree with all the above comments.

Homemade pasta; when Mrs Cudzo was a little jevchinka, she used to love going round her aunt's house cos there was often homemade pasta. It's still a fairly common thing in rural Poland, though it would be made with ordinary flour, not durum.

I had a Russian friend who made superb pelmeni. They were so light! I wish I had paid more attention when he tried to teach me.

It's interesting that you say 'ordinary flour'. Despite the expert advice, and the snobbery, I have used anything to hand to produce quite acceptable results.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2010, 11:38:15 pm »
I know. But I only found out when I studied my girlfriend's "Herbs and Spices" book when we got home. I thought it looked familiar anyway!

It's hard work going over there - arugula, cilantro, garbanzo beans, eggplant, zucchini etc...

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2010, 12:14:39 am »
Rocket is wonderful stuff.  I've bought Sacla rocket pesto before; never occured to me to make it myself.  Now I want to.

:thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 24 January, 2010, 01:52:53 pm »
So that's what cilantro is! I never realised! Zucchini comes more naturally to me than courgette now, cos it's the word usually used in India and cos it's v similar to the Polish. And egg plant? That's a brinjal to me!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2010, 12:18:39 am »
Sounds delicious.

And I imagine that the relatively rough finish of hand-rolled pasta makes it ideal for a sauce such as pesto, non?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."