Author Topic: YACF kid's rides  (Read 3110 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
YACF kid's rides
« on: 28 June, 2008, 07:17:23 pm »
I've had a idea (I have one a month). 

Why don't we take it in turns to host monthly rides for kids?  Everyone turns up at your house, park their cars in your drive or street, use your loo, drink your drinks, eat your snacks and then you lead everyone round a suitable route in your area.  Perhaps take in the local park and pub  ;D plus any other points of interest.  Maybe you regale the grateful throng with interesting anecdotes about the sights you pass.

All would be welcome.  Kids in trailers and on tag-a-longs, the backs of tandems or on their own machines.  If there were riders of differing abilities perhaps devise two routes that met at the same midway point.  Of course those that couldn't beg, borrow or steal a kid would be welcome as well.

I imagine we might end up with rides in different parts of the country (or even the world) so hopefully there would be a ride within easy travelling distance of everyone.

The idea might develop: camping weekends, Christmas rides (calling Wowbagger) etc.

What do we think?  We are more than happy to organise an mid-Essex ride in September if there is a bit of interest.

Julian

• samoture
Re: YACF kid's rides
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2008, 07:21:10 pm »
The first ACF ride I went on was the Kiddywinks weekend, organised (I think) by Tourist Tony and Zipperhead.

Young PGTips, aged ten at the time, was significantly speedier than I was.  Plus ca change... ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:17:22 am »
We had a nice kids ride at York. 8 kids of all ages going to play with trains ;-)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2008, 12:16:11 pm »
If anyone is near Milton Keynes I lead monthly 20 mile rides on the first Sunday of each month.
<---  see link under pic.
Rides are suitable for children and slower riders.
For younger children there are a couple of shorter ones in there and it builds up to 30 miles in November.
Anyone can come along and if you contact me first I'll give you my address for somewhere to park etc'.

Rich.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:37:10 am »
I've just come back from the Tandem Club family camping weekend near Bedford. I'd forgotten how fun being a walking talking climbing frame for several hyperactive children is!  ;D

Play Areas are an added bonus.  :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:52:33 am »
It depends on how you define kids. Some of our youngsters had a good ride in Edinburgh this weekend. (The Future Scotland team of 2 16yo and 1 15yo won the team sprint event against some serious senior opposition - one to watch in 2014 which will be the best CG cycling for many years.)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:52:44 pm »
I may well be interested, but there's no guarantee I shall have my kids with me.  One's a bit big, any road...
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2008, 04:05:53 pm »
I'm a big kid.  Can I come?

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2008, 04:08:42 pm »
I'm not sure the kids'll want to ride LEJOG at that pace... :-\
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2008, 04:24:40 pm »
Charlotte, in my minds eye I see kids of all sizes and ages coming along.

If we do organise a mid Essex kids ride the route will include a pub (perhaps two) and a park with swings and everything. Not to mention a running commentary where you get the chance to learn some olde English. Plus, you can try and figure out a mystery involving pubs, churches, lay lines and masonic symbols.

If your bike handling skills are a having an off day you might even get very wet and muddy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2008, 04:31:33 pm »
I think kids of all ages should come along, so long as they aren't expecting a blistering pace over the hills.

I think many of our members could be a good role model for kids learning to understand teh enjoyment of cycling.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2008, 03:09:02 pm »
Will there be rounders?  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12 on: 07 July, 2008, 09:58:03 am »
Will there be rounders?  :D

Don't see why not.  Particularly if you're offering to bring the bat and ball and organise it.