Author Topic: Wells, Mells, and Broader  (Read 1878 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Wells, Mells, and Broader
« on: 03 February, 2022, 08:07:14 pm »
Am taking rides one by one this year rather than setting over-ambitious plans.  This looks like it tackles suitable tiger country and also starts from where I aborted my attempt at Just off to Whitchurch last year, so sort of starts to scratch an itch.  Will be a return to Audax for my beloved yellow Roberts, lovingly renewed by Argos Racing Cycles, as the Enigma Machine has decided to revert to its habit of trashing rims. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Re: Wells, Mells, and Broader
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2022, 09:31:17 pm »
I think I did this ride once. It has some good bits, but after two or 3 experiences of that particular orgs routes I know the style does not suit me at all. Pointless hills and getting dumped onto roads with high speed rural traffic when there are much better alternatives.

I packed on a ride that went to Cheltenham on the A46.  If you are local you would appreciate just how ridiculous that is.

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2022, 08:09:05 am »
I think I did this ride once. It has some good bits, but after two or 3 experiences of that particular orgs routes I know the style does not suit me at all. Pointless hills and getting dumped onto roads with high speed rural traffic when there are much better alternatives.

I packed on a ride that went to Cheltenham on the A46.  If you are local you would appreciate just how ridiculous that is.
I don't remember this event as being particularly busy, but I do remember a number of gratuitous hills. I definitiely walked up a couple of them.

On the other point, I used to commute from Stroud to Cheltenham and on balance I found the A46 the best route (though I did dive off it after Shurdington). I can't say that it was particularly pleasant, but the alternatives had equally fast-moving traffic but on narrower roads. But I wouldn't route an Audax through Cheltenham anyway.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2022, 10:30:20 am »
I'm OK with gratuitous hills at the moment, as I have a couple of potential objectives - one in the Pyrenees and a possible go at 1000 du Sud that take me to vertically challenging terrain.  This series of rides should help to test my capabilities as they aren't quite what they were, before committing to something that turns out to be beyond me.  (as I have done a few times over the last few years).
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2022, 12:00:45 pm »

On the other point, I used to commute from Stroud to Cheltenham and on balance I found the A46 the best route (though I did dive off it after Shurdington). I can't say that it was particularly pleasant, but the alternatives had equally fast-moving traffic but on narrower roads. But I wouldn't route an Audax through Cheltenham anyway.

It just seemed an extraordinary route to take given the possibilities in the Cotswolds.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2022, 01:54:45 pm »

He might not have much choice. There are several constraints in designing an Audax route. Minimum distance is one. A better route typically increases the distance, over using the A46, so then you put off a large proportion of punters who are there to do 200km (or 300 or whatever) exactly and not 220. If you then tweak the route to get to 200 via the "nice route", you fall foul of the minimum distance... because it is then possible to complete the Brevet using the A46 and going "under distance".
Of course it's all medieval, as one could impose a mandatory "nice route" with a GPS validation or similar... the best approach is to offer the minimum distance route (via the A46 for instance) and then advise riders to use the diversion instead...

Either way, a ride that goes to Yeovil is probably one to give it a miss?  ;D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2022, 04:00:08 pm »
I don't remember any crazy busy roads on this ride, in fact I really enjoyed it.

Yes there were some pointless/gratuitous/bonus* hills, but it is sold as a AAA ride, so that should be expected.
*depending on point of view.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2022, 12:24:54 pm »
It just seemed an extraordinary route to take given the possibilities in the Cotswolds.

None of my routes use the A46 into or out of Cheltenham. So yes if it was one of my events it is quite extraordinary.

I have used a short section between Tewkesbury & Evesham for FFF500 as there is no alternative for the 24hr control.

As to hills, no hill is pointless as that is the route I intend.

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2022, 12:42:44 pm »
Ah, wonder whose it was in that case. Apologies if I am conflating an event with one of yours.

Hills...well, it depends. Its your choice of route of course, but as I said it's a style that doesn't suit me.  I much prefer a flowing route without backloaded climbing or avoidable steepies near the finish.

« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2022, 12:57:26 pm »
...avoidable steepies near the finish.

None of the steepies near the finish are avoidable thanks to geological processes beyond my control.  :thumbsup:

Some on the routes though may have a workaround at the rider's discretion being advisory routes; other than BGB which is mandatory & will not be up your street.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2022, 12:58:50 pm »
PS. Entry closes this Thursday for both the 200 & 100

Entry here:https://www.pedalution.co.uk/events/2022-02-12/

« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2022, 01:15:32 pm »

None of the steepies near the finish are avoidable thanks to geological processes beyond my control.  :thumbsup:

I've found a way to make them all avoidable  ;D

I may well wind my neck in and enter this Saturday. Looking back at my gpx files (pointless hills, notwithstanding) it was a decent route. Also lots of roads I know well from growing up in Dorset.  I think it was the ride that goes through Shaftesbury that had some unpleasant traffic experiences IIRC.

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2022, 03:42:15 pm »

Some on the routes though may have a workaround at the rider's discretion being advisory routes; other than BGB which is mandatory & will not be up your street.  ;)

I've done quite a few of Will's audaxes over the years and have enjoyed them all. It's true that most of them are hilly but the AAA points tell you that in advance. I usually make a couple of minor modifications to the Wells & Mells route to suit my personal preferences. Total climbing is about the same though.

« Reply #13 on: 07 February, 2022, 07:36:59 pm »
Right. Entered. Nobody else to blame for this one  ;D

« Reply #14 on: 09 February, 2022, 04:07:21 pm »

He might not have much choice. There are several constraints in designing an Audax route. Minimum distance is one. A better route typically increases the distance, over using the A46, so then you put off a large proportion of punters who are there to do 200km (or 300 or whatever) exactly and not 220. If you then tweak the route to get to 200 via the "nice route", you fall foul of the minimum distance... because it is then possible to complete the Brevet using the A46 and going "under distance".
Of course it's all medieval, as one could impose a mandatory "nice route" with a GPS validation or similar... the best approach is to offer the minimum distance route (via the A46 for instance) and then advise riders to use the diversion instead...

Either way, a ride that goes to Yeovil is probably one to give it a miss?  ;D

"Going to Yeovil" I'd agree but going through Yeovil to somewhere nicer isn't too bad.

« Reply #15 on: 09 February, 2022, 05:16:32 pm »
It doesn't go to Yeovil, or even through Yeovil.

It goes to Yeovil Station, which isn't really Yeovil.

It does, however, go past a nudist colony.. but I'm not saying where it is  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 12 February, 2022, 08:06:26 pm »
Well that was great fun. Took it pretty easy so finished feeling quite fresh despite the 3000m of climbing.  Couple of steepies; the one up to Alfred's Tower, and Batcombe Hill. Also the final climb has a real kick at the top.

Headwind all the way to top of Batcombe, but wasn't as fierce as I'd expected. Tailwind home was very welcome.

Very sketchy descent at Radford. I slid but stayed upright. Might be worth flagging up on routesheet.

Cheers Will  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #17 on: 12 February, 2022, 08:32:32 pm »
Hard work but very rewarding.  As this was my first big ride post covid decided to take it easy to start with, which turned  out to be a good idea.  Battling the headwind too hard would have been miserable.   BAtcombe was a new hill to me, Alfred's Tower I remember from the Porkers where it comes at 300km.  Pleased to see that my climbing legs were still working albeit slowly.  Rode it as a two stop (Yeovil and Mere) which was about right.  The cakes in the tea shop in Mere were stunning and got me all the way back, although I ran out of steam on the hills back to the Hunter's Rest at Clutton.  Good to meet Hot Flatus and also Will, a fellow designer of an SR600 route.

Hard but good early season day out.

« Reply #18 on: 12 February, 2022, 08:35:11 pm »
Good to meet you too, Colin  :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 13 February, 2022, 11:25:39 pm »
Good to meet you Colin. You should have introduced yourself Hot Flatus.

*Radford descent is marked on routesheet, I'll add a ! POI/WP for the future.