Author Topic: Versatile steel hardtail?  (Read 2216 times)

Weirdy Biker

Versatile steel hardtail?
« on: 31 August, 2009, 10:46:21 am »
Think of making the leap into MTB riding, having stuck to tarmac until now.  But would like a versatile (do it all) hardtail that (in particular) is made of steel and has mounts for canti/v's and disc brakes.  In addition, mounts for racks/mudguards.

I can find some frames that tick some of these boxes, but not them all.  For example the Orange P7/R8, On-One Inbred and Merlin Rock Lobster.  The most difficult thing to find is something that combines brake mounts.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Re: Versatile steel hardtail?
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2009, 11:07:33 am »
The not sliding dropout version of the on one inbred frame ticks all the boxes.

I'm happy with mine.  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2009, 11:08:47 am »
Why do you want V / canti mounts and disk mounts, not one or the other?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2009, 12:40:20 pm »
Why do you want V / canti mounts and disk mounts, not one or the other?

I generally intend to use disc brakes when on trails but would like the option to swap over to B's if I decide to use it as a touring bike in far flung places, where it would be easier to replace/repair the brakes if need be.  I am looking for a bike that is a jack of all trades (master of some).

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »
The not sliding dropout version of the on one inbred frame ticks all the boxes.I'm happy with mine.  :thumbsup:
Ah, I didn't see that they had the V-Bosses.  I had my eye on an inbred (having heard good reports and previous positive experience with my pompino fixie).  I'll give them a buzz during the week.

If anyone knows of a good alternative, please post, as it's always good to have a back up plan (e.g. if the Inbred goes out of stock, something that happens not infrequently at on-one).

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2009, 08:26:16 pm »
Worth noting that current Inbreds only have one set of bottle bosses (on down tube, older ones had them on the seat tube too). Adds faff if you're thinking of using one for touring.