Author Topic: Aero brake levers and cantilevers  (Read 2788 times)

peter carter 2

Aero brake levers and cantilevers
« on: 12 April, 2008, 10:33:38 am »
Remind me which models work best ?

They  will be fitted to a pair of long arm ish Dia Compes

Thanks

Re: Aero brake levers and cantilevers
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:51:36 am »
I am using a cheap (£10/pair) Dia Compe one with Deore wide profile canti. Works well. Don't know if it's best though, I haven't tried anything else, no need to, it's good enough.

I'll say again, effectiveness of braking depends on levers, cables, brake, blocks and rims.

bikenerd

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2008, 12:06:38 pm »
Tektro 200a brake levers work well with Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes.  I have them on my Moulton.  They also have a quick release tag which helps when taking a fully inflated wheel out.

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2008, 12:08:14 pm »
It's dubious how much improvement you get.

Here's an extreme example and even there the difference is fairly minimal:
Linky

peter carter 2

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2008, 01:02:43 pm »
Yes ,  I ve seen it said  by some shops that they can get most levers to work  with most brakes. However, working well is another matter.
The thing about aero's is that they are so much more comfortable or easier to get comfortable than the old style....

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2008, 01:18:34 pm »
I'm using Shimano R400 levers with Deore LX cantis.  Very effective, and comfortable to hold onto.  The hoods are a little small for my big hands, but the lever shape is great.

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2008, 01:19:21 pm »
Tektro 200a brake levers work well with Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes.  I have them on my Moulton.  They also have a quick release tag which helps when taking a fully inflated wheel out.

Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes will work with about every aero brake lever, Ergopower levers and STI levers.