Author Topic: Dorset Coast 200, 2008  (Read 10039 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Dorset Coast 200, 2008
« Reply #25 on: 07 April, 2008, 07:56:02 pm »
It all sounds an excellent day out.

H

Treewheeler

« Reply #26 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:19:52 pm »
We missed you.
 Well...
Your wind shadow really...

How is the 'Mange tout' diet going...?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #27 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:03:23 pm »
We missed you.
 Well...
Your wind shadow really...

How is the 'Mange tout' diet going...?

Actually, I'd heard you had all the mange Monsieur Tuggo.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the Denmead 300 for the wind cheetah experience my little yet extraordinarily ugly friend.

:-*

H

Chris S

« Reply #28 on: 08 April, 2008, 07:55:24 pm »
Sad.

Felt like shite, wouldn't even hold the wheel of an non-legged unicyclist. DNF'd at 60K, came home, and slept all of the afternoon.

Not good; going outside to administer a slapping & "pull yourself together!"

I must say you didn't seem your usual ebullient self at the start. Trust you are feeling better now.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #29 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:26:28 am »
I must say you didn't seem your usual ebullient self at the start. Trust you are feeling better now.

Yes, thanks...must've been a 24-hour thang  :-\
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

frere yacker

« Reply #30 on: 14 April, 2008, 06:29:18 pm »
My report on the 2008 edition:

Longer report - stream of conciousness.

This ride is seriously memorable.  The views along the coast are variously dramatic, placid and unexpected.  Looking out to the horizon where snow flurries dance or cycling amongst green fields which radiate the promise of spring.  It doesn't get much better.  As I said to Phil Dyson, it's a pity you have to put your head down to get out of the wind as it means you can't see the views.

The first 25km were ominous - an expidition through the snow cut wind in a groupette that was distracted by the thought of getting to the ferry from Sandbanks.  Sheltered from the wind and snow, the chain ferry dragged us into the ride proper - disembarking into milder weather, a few small bumps before the first serious climb of the day starting in the shadow of Clune Castle.  Panoramic views at the top, sweating cyclists gasping for breath in the cold air, a swift descent and onwards to Weymouth via some rolling countryside.

Quick control - rain jackets peeled off, into the scenic stage.  Described as a rollercoaster, just about right.  Slow anticipation as the ride pulls you along, the first real climb - up Abbotsbury Hill with views to Chesil Beach enough to salve the burn building up in the thighs.  Rolling coastal road to Bridport, nasty climb out of town - warned by a passing randonneur to gird my thighs for the next 25km.

Nearing Devon, startling hills - veins filled with fast rushing blood.  Wondering if I should walk, so steep, gets steeper, never ending.  First time I've felt like this for a while - burst of adrenelin, gritted teeth.  Descend.  Repeat: now I remember what hills feel like.

Eventually descend to Axminster.  Soup.  Overhear that there are two climbs of note in the next stage but then downhill all the way home.  Heard that before - sceptical.

Hill number one - Sector Lane, overgeared riders zig-zagging ahead.  Gear down, cruise up, turn left at junction, cruise along, headscratching at missing sign (by Church, good enough clue, follow it - fingers crossed, as steep descent that not keen to climb again).  All okay, turn those pedals, could be a good time for this one.  Eventually follow signs to UpLoaders: climb number two.  Seems never ending, with crosswind caking me in snow.  Kick front mech (literally) to get onto the granny ring - just in time, hill reaches up for the heavens.  Past triangulation point, "well done" muttered from random strangers at top (do they think "is he mad"?)

Descend to Dorchester, quick control, descend to HQ.  Engage top gear for last 20km - feel fresh at the end.  Smile as I enter the Parish Hall.

Pointless FY stat: In the end I managed to get around in 10.5hrs.  So, not a difficult ride at all - taking into account tempermental gears that refused to shift into the granny ring, ghost shifted if you stood up etc.  Blame the mechanic (ie me) who fannied about with the front derailluer the day before but didn't think to test it.