Author Topic: iPhone apps  (Read 23909 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: iPhone apps
« Reply #75 on: 20 February, 2010, 11:35:46 am »
I just discovered the Met Office app.  I actually prefer it to the website!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #76 on: 20 February, 2010, 11:38:39 am »
If you value your free time, I'd recommend staying away from Plants vs. Zombies.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #77 on: 20 February, 2010, 11:41:44 am »
I just discovered the Met Office app.  I actually prefer it to the website!

Oooh, that's rather good.  Was actually looking for something like that yesterday (I'm not impressed by the built-in weather application), but couldn't find any mention of it on the Met Office site -- didn't think to just search the App Store!

You can tell I'm new to this...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #78 on: 20 February, 2010, 11:56:34 am »
Roughly once I week I take a look through the top 25 50 Free Apps, which is how I found MetOffice.  I'm another one who never thought of searching for a weather app.

« Reply #79 on: 20 February, 2010, 01:13:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend a To Do List/Task Manager app?

I've downloaded the free version of 2Do and I'm liking it so far. ToodleDo also looks interesting. Any others I should consider?

d.

I like Evernote. It's not really a to do list kind of thing, but it is very handy for organising projects, expenses, travel arrangements etc. and has a desktop app too. I use it all the time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #80 on: 20 February, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »
For to do I use OmniFocus. Very powerful once you understand it.  :-\

There's a Mac Desktop companion app. Not sure about PC/Linux
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #81 on: 20 February, 2010, 02:30:28 pm »
Ta. Evernote looks interesting. My wife uses OmniFocus but I think it's a bit overkill for my needs.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #82 on: 20 February, 2010, 05:01:41 pm »
I've been using evernote recently too - though not on iPhone. Very useful for grabbing snippets of information and storing them (select some text from a web page, right click and send it to evernote - it's then available on my Mac, my work PC, anywhere with a web connection or my windows mobile).

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #83 on: 21 February, 2010, 01:07:35 pm »
If you value your free time, I'd recommend staying away from Plants vs. Zombies.

Having just spent a morning in bed with my husband discussing the relative merits of peas over mushrooms for dealing with zombies I can heartily agree with this statement.

::-)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #84 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:52:55 am »
Finally got an iPhone 3GS, I was gonna wait for the new one this year but my sis got pre-emtive on my ass and brought one for my birthday next month.

So here's my list for good apps :)

Natwest - Handy for keep track of the ol' accounts
Layer - Augmented Reality app that uses your camera, GPS and compass and overlays info like hotels, tube stations, gmaps locations etc over the cam image in 3D
iTranslate - Handy for flirting with french ladies
Chess for Free - Fun little app for playing chess with mates
Bubbles  - Cos it's fun
Street Fighter IV - It's Street Fighter... On your phone!
Unit Convertor - Already been handy a few times
Team Viewer - Remote desktop to PCs and Mac :)
VLC Remote  - Handy for Lazy asses
mbDriveFree - Turns your iphone into a wireless usb stick :D
FS5 Hockey - Great air hockey game
TV Catchip - It's TV on your phone!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #85 on: 01 April, 2010, 04:13:19 pm »
ZombieFarm. Free and frighteningly addictive. It's like Farmville, but with zombies. :thumbsup:

Now if you'll excuse me, I must dash. I have three patches of tomates and a headless zombie to harvest.  :-[
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #86 on: 01 April, 2010, 04:37:07 pm »

Having just spent a morning in bed with my husband discussing the relative merits of peas over mushrooms for dealing with zombies I can heartily agree with this statement.

::-)

Star fruit are the best all-rounders. Loads and loads of star fruit.

I've finally got to the end of adventure mode but I still have loads of achievements to unlock...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #87 on: 03 April, 2010, 08:57:17 am »
For 'To Do' lists I'd recommend Remember the Milk - online and using the iphone app. It's really, really useful.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #88 on: 14 April, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »
ZombieFarm. Free and frighteningly addictive. It's like Farmville, but with zombies. :thumbsup:

Now if you'll excuse me, I must dash. I have three patches of tomates and a headless zombie to harvest.  :-[
Cheat for Zombiefarm, do a bit a time travelling :) e.g plant something, change your time to when it is due and go harvest then change your time back and you have all the dosh you need :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #89 on: 14 April, 2010, 02:47:17 pm »
Opera is a but fuzzy around the edges isn't it, not the usual polished standard for apps. Faster than Safari on my bog standard 3G though...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #90 on: 14 April, 2010, 05:37:55 pm »
Opera is a but fuzzy around the edges isn't it, not the usual polished standard for apps. Faster than Safari on my bog standard 3G though...

And, having read how it manages to be so fast I'll be uninstalling it.

(The actual page rendering is done on fast computers at Opera Inc, not on your phone. Massive security implications, especially with HTTPS pages which are effectively proxied. Not a bloody chance...)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #91 on: 14 April, 2010, 05:54:49 pm »
It compresses too, so you get lower quality images. Not what the iPhone screen is for!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #92 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:08:03 pm »
I've been using Mercury Web Browser Pro today. I like it's full screen browsing with proper tabs just like Firefox, and it seems much much faster than Safari too. Not sure if the speed is due to a similar set up as opera. Can't seem to find out much about that and would be disappointed if it is because as a Firefox user on the desktop I find the UI and features of Mercury much better than Safari.  

simonp

« Reply #93 on: 15 April, 2010, 12:28:56 am »
It compresses too, so you get lower quality images. Not what the iPhone screen is for!

I've noticed though that if I surf t' webs using internet tethering off my iphone, I get lower quality.  Someone or something is compressing the jpegs on t' webs to a lower quality.  It is probably not so noticable on the iphone's screen because the pixels are much smaller than on a monitor.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #94 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:46:04 am »
Cheat for Zombiefarm, do a bit a time travelling :) e.g plant something, change your time to when it is due and go harvest then change your time back and you have all the dosh you need :)

Naughty, naughty wollypigs!  :hand:

Thank you!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #95 on: 15 April, 2010, 10:40:00 am »
I've started using Evernote, a free app - it is awesome.

There are 3 parts to it - the app, the online access and the on-pc program.

I use it for keeping lots of notes about roller derby training and some other stuff too. Its dead easy to use and nice and flexible and you can share evernotes easily via e-mail and synch e-mails into evernote which makes it easy for emily and I to swap training notes.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #96 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:56:40 pm »

Naughty, naughty wollypigs! 

I can't belive that such s simple and old cheat works. I was doing stuff like this when I had a C64. But it looks like the only way to win your invations is to be using your blue or red zombies but you have to pay for the blue ones. So I'm stuck at level 16 and is getting a bit bored with it now but it was fun while it was free.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #97 on: 15 April, 2010, 02:09:51 pm »
I gave in and paid for the blue tombstone — it was only a quid and change IIRC.  Now on level 20, looking forward to attacking pirates on level 21.  Yaargh!  But I still refuse to pay for anything else, such as additional brains.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #98 on: 15 April, 2010, 02:19:34 pm »
I gave in and paid for the blue tombstone — it was only a quid and change IIRC.  Now on level 20, looking forward to attacking pirates on level 21.  Yaargh!  But I still refuse to pay for anything else, such as additional brains.

I just know if I give in and pay for this game I will end up spending more and the snow ball effect will start and I would probally end up paying for mickeysoft, the horror. So I must stay strong and stick to much guns, pay for hardware and never pay for software :)

« Reply #99 on: 15 April, 2010, 02:28:34 pm »
I'm still yet to pay for a single iPhone app.