Author Topic: Fixing through tile and plywood in shower cubicle...?  (Read 2495 times)

Fixing through tile and plywood in shower cubicle...?
« on: 07 January, 2012, 02:26:53 pm »
The vertical shower head rail has worked loose, and it's because the fitter just drilled a hole through tile and ply and stuck a screw in.  I've tried a regular rawl plug, but the screw simply turns it around in the hole.  Any ideas what to use, or any tricks?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
Re: Fixing through tile and plywood in shower cubicle...?
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2012, 05:14:04 pm »
Having the hole a tight fit around the plug makes a big difference to how effective they are.  Don't forget to add a bit of sealant to the mounting bracket to prevent water from getting though into the screw hole.

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »
Another trick I have used it to stick a match stick or two into a hole to pack it out a bit.

Don't know if it would work in your situation though.
Stropping rocks

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2012, 12:27:22 am »
I discovered std Butterfly fixings weren't going to work because of the shower rail mounting bracket being approx 20mm off the tile surface.  In the end I held the rawl plug steady in the hole with some thin pliers for as long as possible and this seemed to allow the plug to be sufficiently fixed to take the final tightening (just about)... Need to put some sealant on though.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
That shouldn't be a problem unless the thickness of the tiles and plywood is too thick for the butterfly fixing.

You should be able to put the fixing in the hole, flush with the tiles and then use a long screw to fix the bracket.

There are a lot of different types of plugs anyway and if the one you have used works, and is sound, then that's all that matters in the end.

Gravity toggle bolts are another solution.

They require a smaller hole then the spring toggle.

Both are use once though as the toggle fall off if the fixing is removed.

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2012, 11:16:27 am »
Thanks. I only had time to go to Homebase and they didn't have gravity toggle bolts - which seem like they'd be good.  Homebase did have the Piranha B&D plasterboard bolt/plastic butterfly packs which weren't long enough, and only sprung butterfly bolts with hooks on the end. 

Any good source of the gravity-t-bolts, they see a bit difficult to find?

« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2012, 11:35:55 pm »
If you've got plywood behind the tiles then isn't it just easier to move the rail up or downdown half and inch or so? Presumably the old hole will be hidden by the shower head fitting. Providing your pilot hole is not too big, you should get a strong fixing with plywood as the base.
Garry Broad