Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 284141 times)

downhill

Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #200 on: 28 December, 2011, 06:16:47 pm »
Thanks Lycra Man.  I will turn back at Shipston on Stour.  See you at 07.00h.

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #201 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:35:12 am »
Thanks to TG, mattc and downhill for your company. I got back home at 8.56, after a puncture in Aylesbury. I had thought that might have pushed me over the time limit, so I was quite grumpy for a while, until matt confirmed the limit was 13 hrs 59 mins, so I feel better now.

Clearly I need to work on my routing skills, as there was too much time spend on main roads.

My next ride is the Poor Student - see some of you then!!

Happy New Year,

Lycra Man

« Reply #202 on: 31 December, 2011, 08:03:24 pm »
Happy New Year LM
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #203 on: 18 January, 2012, 10:23:04 pm »
DIY Crych Cymru 200k, 4th or 11th Feb, Tewkesbury start - anyone else?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #204 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:47:35 am »
Being unable to cycle due to snow I find myself looking ahead to future rides. I find that I have actually got an audax free weekend on 17/18 March. Well I can't have that! Does anyone fancy keeping me company on either a local 200 perm (I'm not fussed which one or which day) or a hilly 100? I'm in the southeast and for any who don't know me - be warned- I'm slow!

« Reply #205 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:09:04 pm »
Being unable to cycle due to snow I find myself looking ahead to future rides. I find that I have actually got an audax free weekend on 17/18 March. Well I can't have that! Does anyone fancy keeping me company on either a local 200 perm (I'm not fussed which one or which day) or a hilly 100? I'm in the southeast and for any who don't know me - be warned- I'm slow!

I've got a pile of brevet cards to get through: Down to Downs and AAA Milne (hilly 100s) and Ditchling Devil and Boat Ride (200s starting from London). Saturday may be a bit easier for the 100s as trains to the start (and back) are more frequent.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #206 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:17:56 pm »
I have the 17/18th penned in for a perm.  I'm about to sent Billy an entry for Down To Downs and AAA Milne - so would be up for doing one of them if that suited?  I'd be training down from London most probably.

I'm considering giving the Boat Ride a go next Sunday - if the snow/ice situation clears up.  Company welcome.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #207 on: 05 February, 2012, 01:25:52 pm »
I'm considering giving the Boat Ride a go next Sunday - if the snow/ice situation clears up.  Company welcome.

When would you start and how fast do you ride?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #208 on: 05 February, 2012, 01:35:21 pm »
Probably around 7 to make the most of daylight. Where are you based? I am in Chiswick and would ride to Hayes to start.

I'm not an 8 hour whippet - generally get around a 200 in 11-12 hours. Average is the best description of my pace!

I'll obviously be keeping a close eye on the weather as well.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #209 on: 05 February, 2012, 02:39:09 pm »
Probably around 7 to make the most of daylight. Where are you based? I am in Chiswick and would ride to Hayes to start.
About 30k from Rotherhithe to the start. Depends on the number of traffic-lights along the Uxbridge Road whether it's quicker to catch a train from Paddington to Hayes (arr. 7:02). No help from the District Line that early.

I'm not an 8 hour whippet - generally get around a 200 in 11-12 hours. Average is the best description of my pace!

Average is good.

I'll obviously be keeping a close eye on the weather as well.

Easy to cancel Saturday evening.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #210 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »
Ok. Looks like we are on. 7:30 at the sainsburies in the retail park next Sunday. so long as the weather is less treacherous than today!

Anyone else fancy joining us, drop me or fixillated a line and manotea for an entry.
Right! What's next?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #211 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:58:42 pm »
As part of reconnoitring the Barnard Castle control for LEL in '13 I'm planning an Arrow style ride to the Skeeby Travelodge just south of Scotch Corner on 25 - 26 April.  Plan is to leave Basingstoke at 6pm on 25th with controls at Wallingford, Banbury, Market Harborough, Sleaford, Horncastle, Willerby (western side of Hull), Hornsea, Malton, and Skeeby - total 512km by Google Maps with aim of arriving Skeeby between 6pm and 7pm on 26th.

Hoping for a southerly wind and aiming to be pretty relentless as far as Horncastle and a bit more relaxed in Yorkshire.

Got this wrong - its the 18 - 19 April.   :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #212 on: 10 February, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »
Polepole - did you have any thoughts about the 17/18th March?  I (will) have brevet cards for the Down To Downs and AAA Milne perms from Billy Weir if either of those appealed?

Looks like Fixillated and myself will be doing the Boat Ride 200 perm this Sunday - fingers crossed for no more snow/ice!  I've shaken off a cold and felt pretty good commuting around today.

Finally - if anyone is forward planning, I'm planning on doing the perm of The Poor Student 200 on Sunday 26th March (as I missed out on it this January) - it will be a slow run though, as the keen-eyed will notice this is the day after the Dean 300.  Company welcome, but I may be (even) less perky than usual!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #213 on: 14 February, 2012, 05:59:37 pm »
Polepole - did you have any thoughts about the 17/18th March?  I (will) have brevet cards for the Down To Downs and AAA Milne perms from Billy Weir if either of those appealed?

Hi marcusjb. Martin M and I ( and I think a couple of others) will probably be doing his new perm -the Reliable 100k on the 18th March (early start planned as it's Mother's day but no time fixed yet). You are more than welcome to join us. I shall be plodding round at my usual sedate pace but others will be of a more compatible speed with you.

I've done both of Billy's perms and they are great rides. I've also got a card for each so will definitely do them both at some point during the year, but not sure when as yet. If you find yourself at a loose end and wanting some SLOW company on one of them do feel free to pm me. I'll join you if I'm free.

« Reply #214 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:03:54 pm »
I may enjoy Easter more if I cheat and do some training before the arrow. Entry forms for the longer Men of Kent (one each for the 300 and 400) perms have been sent to the organiser.

I vaguely plan a very late on Friday start for the 300 and a civilised Saturday morning time for the 400, both from Tonbridge and the first, third and fifth weekend in March are still available. Target times (no lengthy stops planned) are 16 and 22 hours.

Martin

« Reply #215 on: 26 February, 2012, 10:46:54 am »

Hi marcusjb. Martin M and I ( and I think a couple of others) will probably be doing his new perm -the Reliable 100k on the 18th March

it's gone back to being Down to Downs for expediency; don't have any cards for the Reliable yet (although gpx validation seems to be OK); early as you like start

« Reply #216 on: 28 February, 2012, 07:29:32 pm »

it's gone back to being Down to Downs for expediency; don't have any cards for the Reliable yet (although gpx validation seems to be OK); early as you like start

Saturday or Sunday? Trains to Edenbridge on Sundays aren't exactly early. ECE with Toys Hill in both directions  :-\ or joining you in Green Street Green?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #217 on: 28 March, 2012, 06:50:32 pm »
I'm intending to do some of the Peak Audax Perms,starting from controls nearest Stoke such as Alsager,Haslington,Congleton,Eccleshall.
Initially the Audlem 150km & then some of the flat 200km routes.If it goes well I'll consider a 300km & an SR attempt.
It would be preferable to have company.Anyone want to join me?

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #218 on: 31 March, 2012, 10:06:29 pm »
I'm intending to do some of the Peak Audax Perms,starting from controls nearest Stoke such as Alsager,Haslington,Congleton,Eccleshall.
Initially the Audlem 150km & then some of the flat 200km routes.If it goes well I'll consider a 300km & an SR attempt.
It would be preferable to have company.Anyone want to join me?
If they are Peak Audax perms at some point you will be controlling at  Dean Row, Poynton, Marple or Broken Cross or even Uppermill or Stalybridge. Always worth giving me a shout to hook up somewhere even if I don't do the whole ride with you. Wed's or Fridays best for me + I have three new 200k perms starting from Broken Cross on the Peak Audax website.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #219 on: 01 April, 2012, 09:11:37 pm »
Wed's or Fridays best for me

Noted JayP

I have three new 200k perms starting from Broken Cross on the Peak Audax website.

Thanks for that.I'll go & have a butcher's....

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #220 on: 04 April, 2012, 03:51:16 pm »
Tomorrow I'm riding JOGLE as a DIY.  Yes, I'm doing it all tomorrow.

...no, not that JOGLE.  This is Jorvik Otley Gargrave Leyburn Easingwold Eboracum: a paltry 206km.  I'll be leaving Parliament Street in York at 9am.  Yes I know it's short notice, but does anybody want to join in?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #221 on: 17 April, 2012, 11:07:40 am »
I have a plan to do this

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/audl.htm

on Friday 20th subject to RL & a final decision sometime Thursday 19th.

I'll be starting at Radway Green at 0900hrs.

If anyone wishes to join in that would be good.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #222 on: 17 April, 2012, 01:11:36 pm »
I have company :)
& very special it is too :thumbsup:

Si_Co

« Reply #223 on: 17 April, 2012, 04:13:55 pm »
^^ ITYM very special needs  ;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #224 on: 24 April, 2012, 11:04:00 pm »
Planning to do DIY perm Basingstoke - Witney - Wantage - Stone (Bucks) - Basingstoke on Sunday 29th starting 4am and finishing midday.   Will be getting the diesel engine warmed up for BCM and then a testing season so if anyone wants a high speed tow through Oxfordshire let me know.  Having a stressful week at work so unlikely to be taking prisoners.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)