Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 281906 times)

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #375 on: 11 August, 2014, 02:52:22 pm »
 :) Friday 15th August Boat ride either as a Perm or DIY (my first of either)  Sure to be very slow usually takes me just  over 12 hours for a 200.
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/PST02/

L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #376 on: 14 August, 2014, 09:44:06 am »
Planning an August  B/H weekend  600, route is most of the National 400 with an extension Northwards.
Start Near Durham at 9am on Saturday 23rd - Yes late start for good reasons
Currently one tandem trike and one single.
Anyone Interested?

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #377 on: 21 August, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »
Planning on riding the Kingdom Come 400 from my home in SW Fife (Scotland) on Saturday evening. Controls will beDalgety Bay, Achterarder, Stanley (N of Perth) Forfar, Montrose, Stonehaven, Braemar, Dalgety Bay. If anyone needs or wants a 400 and wants to accompany me, I'd welcome you! I'm not speedy and should arrive with a couple of hours in hand. I could provide accomodation afterwards if required.

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #378 on: 15 September, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »
Doing a 150k from lymington out to Shaftesbury and back round to lymington tomorrow. First long ride in ages. Also first perm although not sure if it will get validated as I had to delay doing it from another date as something cropped up.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #379 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:20:49 pm »
May be cycling back from Birmingham to Ipswich on Fri 19th Dec.  Route tbd, weather tbd.  I have a work do and will have to stay overnight, seems like a good way of using the time off owed.
It's about 240km e2e so I may miss out a bit at the start or end (BSE is about 200km though missing Birmigham rush hour looks better, if I can work out how to)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #380 on: 13 October, 2014, 10:25:37 pm »
Possibly Company on my 200km DIY by GPS rides in Lancashire, or you could use my Check Points on the Lancashire Cycleways North and South.  Each route comes out at a little under 202km, but it took quite a lot of time and effort to get the right Check Points on the Route.

The Northern Loop distance is almost the same as the actual road route.  The Southern will possibly be 215km on the road, but not too bad.  Contact me if you want the deatails.  ;)
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #381 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:01:19 pm »
200K Darlington-Durham 8th November 2014 Train assisted.
Three of us are getting the 06:00 from Newcastle:06:15 from Durham and riding back for a pub finish. The train will take 5 bikes and ticket is £12:50 Hoping for a stonking tail wind!
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6365580

« Reply #382 on: 27 October, 2014, 08:08:14 pm »
You mean Donnie-Durham, right?

I think I'm washing my hair bike that day.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #383 on: 20 November, 2014, 10:53:03 am »
I'm planning on doing the "Goodbye Yorkshire Xmas pud" ride on Sat 10th Jan (depending on weather of course), if anybody wants to join me?

ETA: Starts from Thorne, near Doncaster. I have a GPX of the calendar ride from when I last did it, if anybody is interested, I'm not sure how the perm differs.

« Reply #384 on: 06 January, 2015, 09:00:04 pm »
It's forecast to be a bit wild this weekend coming, but I am hoping to ride https://goo.gl/maps/pujEuon the weekend of 17/18 Jan, depending on the forecast.  The route is South Lakes, Brough, Leyburn, SouthLakes taking in the hills SW of Kendal (twice), across the M6 to an easier section to Brough, Tan Hill and Grinton Ranges (ouch), Wensleydale, Sedbergh and back to the hills out of Kendal.  It's a tad over 200k and I estimate about 3.5 AAA.  All bets off if it is 'orrible.  PM me on here if you fancy it.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #385 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:46:56 am »
I've got a perm card for the Mere Two Hundred which I'll probably use this month.
Maybe the day before the sold out calendar event on Saturday 24th Jan. (Event is on the Sunday)
Anybody fancy it?
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

hillbilly

« Reply #386 on: 20 January, 2015, 01:44:09 pm »
210km DIY by GPS.  Early February, weather permitting (exact date TBC).  Weekend.

Redhill - South Harting - Bosham (ye olde pubbe stop) - Cranleigh - Wisborough Green (ye olde pubbe stop) - Redhill.

Test of western bits of potential calendar event.  Moderate climbing (South Downs crossed twice, but generally sticks to low Weald).  VFM pace expected (c. 16kph overall average).

PM me if you are interested in joining is this early season exploit.

« Reply #387 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:52:07 pm »
I've got a perm card for the Mere Two Hundred which I'll probably use this month.
Maybe the day before the sold out calendar event on Saturday 24th Jan. (Event is on the Sunday)
Anybody fancy it?

I've got one too. Can't do Saturday though. Any day in the week next week you can do?

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #388 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:16:36 pm »
Anybody fancy it?

I've got one too. Can't do Saturday though. Any day in the week next week you can do?

Next chance for me will be next Saturday 31st, I live in Bristol but visit my parents in Cheshire once a month.
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #389 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:19:20 pm »
It's forecast to be a bit wild this weekend coming, but I am hoping to ride https://goo.gl/maps/pujEuon the weekend of 17/18 Jan, depending on the forecast.  The route is South Lakes, Brough, Leyburn, SouthLakes taking in the hills SW of Kendal (twice), across the M6 to an easier section to Brough, Tan Hill and Grinton Ranges (ouch), Wensleydale, Sedbergh and back to the hills out of Kendal.  It's a tad over 200k and I estimate about 3.5 AAA.  All bets off if it is 'orrible.  PM me on here if you fancy it.

I wouldn't have fancied it anyway, but did you ride it?

« Reply #390 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:33:23 pm »

I wouldn't have fancied it anyway, but did you ride it?

Weather was too bad, so I put it off for a week.  Just having a beer or two to recover.  It was a bit icy for the first few hours, but mainly soft stuff and some old snow drifts on Tan Hill which I walked across.  I was very cautious on the descents.  The wind blew me up Tan Hill and over Grinton to Leyburn, but  when I got on the 'easy' run up Wensleydale I could barely manage 16kph into a stiff breeze.  A restorative coffee at the Spar in Sedbergh was excellent and it got me to Kendal.  The wind was less of an issue thereafter but the hills on the last leg are beasts, literally in the case of Beast Banks.  However, it was a balmy 5 degrees by then, so I could do the descents at normal pace.  The garmin said nearly 4000m, but with elevation correction was much less.  Will see what the AAA man says, probably 3.5 but it felt like 3.75 or 4.  Got home and almost immediately had a call from son #2 who had missed the bus from Kendal... how I enjoyed getting into the car to go and get him...

edit - I found out how cold it was at The Tan Hill Inn where I stopped to go to the loo and have a sandwich.  When I arrived, I parked the bike and was faffing, I put my gloves on the floor and one of the inners froze to the ground!

« Reply #391 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:40:26 am »
Anybody fancy it?

Next chance for me will be next Saturday 31st, I live in Bristol but visit my parents in Cheshire once a month.
Forecast is a bit of a right off.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #392 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:44:01 am »
Anybody fancy it?

Not too bad on www.yr.no.
Bit chilly and a bit windy. I'm 50/50 at the minute.
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #393 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:05:59 am »
Anybody fancy it?

Not too bad on www.yr.no.
Bit chilly and a bit windy. I'm 50/50 at the minute.
Write off, even….

A lot of snow here (Sheffield) last night and still falling. Forecast to continue all day.

« Reply #394 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:00:48 pm »
I have got my spies out to check the condition of the higher passes, but I think pretty much all the roads are bone dry now and no rain is forecast for several days.  I am therefore planning some 'AAA getting' on Sunday (8 Feb) in The Lakes.  Hoping to do the vast majority in daylight (getting nearly 11 hours now).  https://goo.gl/maps/3f5av - a 'there and back' route for 200km, which is not something I normally do, but it fits with my plan of avoiding tree shrouded, potentially damp (ice) areas.

« Reply #395 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:35:56 pm »
Edinburgh-Bath DIY

Not sure if this the best place to post this, as I'm not anticipating people leaping to join me, but I'm beginning to think about a head-down, no-frills Edinburgh-Bath DIY later in the year, as the means to a cheap(er) night on the sauce in the Star, in Bath, before returning to Bonnie Scotia by train the following day. I wonder if some of the cognoscenti that tread these boards can give me any tips on a sensible southbound route from beyond Carlisle. Is there a well-worn, straightforward NW to SW route that someone could share with me? Conversely, are there any roads that although they might look benign on the map are dreadful and best avoided? My f-i-l lives in West Brom (poor chap) and I would probably look to overnight there. With any luck I might be able to tweak this into a 600, although I'm not sure what state I would be in for a night on the batter at the end of it if I determined to get there <40hrs. Still... all valuable PBP training.

Many thanks.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

« Reply #396 on: 21 March, 2015, 04:13:26 pm »
Saturday 28th March 200K Group Perm Newcastle2Newcastleton. Central Station Start, Pub finish near Ponteland.
Easy pace, depart 07:45 1st train from York-Northallerton-Darlington-Durham arr 07:35
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7254226

« Reply #397 on: 23 March, 2015, 11:21:11 am »
I'm planning to trial a new 400k on April 11th.

Route is here. http://goo.gl/maps/Y7i0N

This is just the shortest possible route for the purposes of getting the distance in. I'm intending to skirt south around Darlington and head through Yarm before pushing on to Saltburn on Sea. Working on that bit of the route now. I'm intending to do something along the lines of a 10am start from Malton.

Any company welcome.

« Reply #398 on: 23 March, 2015, 09:22:12 pm »
I'm planning to trial a new 400k on April 11th.
Hmm.. good in parts, but a lot of roads I would avoid at most times. Won't be joining you.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #399 on: 24 March, 2015, 11:44:26 am »
I'm planning to ride the Marlborough Connection 200km perm on Friday 3rd april if anyone wants to join me. It sets off from Woodstock, Oxfordshire, and I am planning a 7:00am start but could be flexible.

Arthur  :smug:
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.