Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 283684 times)

AndyH

Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #125 on: 04 December, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »
Mike K and Marcus so far. Mike K was thinking of doing an ECE with the Willy Warmer. It'd be a good way of breaking the ride down. Ride 100k to the start, ride the 200k event, then another 100k ish, then some sleep and finish the ride off on Sunday.

Sounds like a plan, is everyone starting from MK or meeting at the start ? Is Marcus planning on sleeping ?

Billy Weir

« Reply #126 on: 07 December, 2010, 06:43:41 pm »
This weekend (11/12 and 12/12).  Surrey, Sussex and Kent area.

11/12:  My Down to Downs permanent.  105km and 1.75AAA.  Edenbridge start (meet in sports centre car park, collecting first control in High Street).  Arrive 10am for 10:30am start.

12/12: DIY by GPS 200.  208km or thereabouts.  Flattish.  Redhill start (8am).  Route outline:  Redhill, Edenbridge, Shipbourne, Yalding, Tenterden, Rye, Heathfield, Uckfield, Turners Hill, Smallfield, Redhill.  Obvious roads if you trace it on a map (mainly B roads with small amount of lanes and A roads).  Undecided whether clockwise or anti-clockwise.

PM or email me.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #127 on: 29 December, 2010, 04:51:21 pm »
All things being equal I'll be making a 200km GPS DIY from Chiswick going Westward on New Years Eve to score my December RRTY ride.

Company welcome (with or without GPS).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #128 on: 29 December, 2010, 05:12:36 pm »
All things being equal I'll be making a 200km GPS DIY from Chiswick going Westward on New Years Eve to score my December RRTY ride.
I assume "Westward" will be vaguely in my direction, so I should be up for a pootle to/from some caff. But I ain't going to Laarndon!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #129 on: 05 January, 2011, 09:03:40 am »
Bristol/South Wales area - RRTY ride for January just entered if anyone is interested. GOne for the Cambrian Series 2B (the one with the least climbing!), intending on starting in Chepstow on Sat 8th Jan. 8am to allow time to ride out from Brizzle.

Bump this up - so far me and M. Le Volio.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #130 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:06:46 am »
Looking for company on the 19th Feb for the Denmead 200 down to Lymington as there's not much else on that weekend in terms of southern calendar events. I have other interested parties but thought I'd throw it open.

H

« Reply #131 on: 20 January, 2011, 05:06:21 pm »
the other person will be your carer i guess ;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #132 on: 29 January, 2011, 12:50:13 am »
I'll be riding round the Chicken Willy (London to Brighton and Back) route on Saturday 19.2.1 as a 200km DIY perm with Scottlington and clubmates so if you feel like an early season trip to the seaside drop me a line for details. We'll be going through Richmond Park/Richmond Gate at 8am and heading down via Mitchem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scottlington & I rode on Sunday 20th as it happens because the weather was a bit inclement on Saturday and would have made for a miserable day out. Sunday was just the right side of wet & cold. It felt like it might rain but didn't, which is just as well as I left my waterproofs at home, and only cold enough to be mildly bracing. As was I was slightly overdressed in Assos 851 jacket and Lusso longs and my base layers went in the saddle bag at the first opportunity, along with my long fingered gloves. After that I was fine and it was mitts all the way from there.

I'm going to be riding round again this Sunday coming (27.2) with Willesden Maestro's Ray Kelly and Liamfitz for some more easy early season miles and to get more feedback on the new route which is available as a paper perm from moi as The Ditchling Devil. Excellent.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #133 on: 01 March, 2011, 12:47:36 pm »
Currently looking to ride a 200 this weekend, Saturday or Sunday. Not sure what to ride yet but thinking about either the Poor Student or Redhill Beach Trip perm - EDIT; don't think that's been permified yet.

However, could equally just bash out a London to Brighton DIY, Faccombe Willy DIY or use Manotea's new and excellent Dithcling Devil perm. I have options is what I am saying so looking for (slow) company.

JJ

« Reply #134 on: 09 March, 2011, 07:08:05 pm »
Planning to ride the End of Hibernation this Sunday under helper's rules.  Anyone over Stowmarket-way fancy converging?

Billy Weir

« Reply #135 on: 30 March, 2011, 05:47:10 pm »
Anorak's Delight - Saturday 2nd April - Pamber Heath start - 8 to 9 am pedal off.  Likely to take 11-12 hours.

Anybody interested?

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #136 on: 04 May, 2011, 11:18:09 pm »
I'm going to be doing a diy from Waddesdon to Aylesbury and then joining Rich Forrest's route at Bletchley (south MK) on Satrurday 14th May
The route will be to Ely via Olney, Huntingdon and back via Gamlingay. 200k from Bletchley to Bletchley, plus 34k each way to and back to Waddesdon. I'm going to start riding at 7.00am.
Anyone care to join me?

Lycra Man

« Reply #137 on: 07 May, 2011, 10:32:34 pm »
I'm doing the Anorak's Delight 200 tomorrow....starting from home to add a few extra k's to the route.....hope it stops chucking it down before dawn!!
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #138 on: 08 May, 2011, 06:45:01 pm »
I'm doing the Anorak's Delight 200 tomorrow....starting from home to add a few extra k's to the route.....hope it stops chucking it down before dawn!!
Finished the main route in about 9 hours...wet start, but dried up by the time I got to Odiham.  Very windy for most of the ride with strong headwinds pretty much all the way to Romsey which knackered me!  All in all a nice route.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #139 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:07:48 am »
I'm hoping to do El S's Medway Meander 200 starting from Edenbridge on Sunday 29 May. Company would be most welcome, but be warned- I am slow! I won't take it amiss if you want to say hello briefly and then pedal off into the distance.

Billy Weir

« Reply #140 on: 10 May, 2011, 06:37:37 pm »
Alas, I don't have a card for the Medway (and having done it twice in recent years, I don't plan to do it again).  I have a card for Seaford-Yalding.  Does this tempt you?  Yalding start.

« Reply #141 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:13:20 pm »
Hmm I'm tempted indeed ! TBH I just want to get some miles in. Both starts are within an hours drive from me so fit the bill. I'm not fussed about the route and love trips to the coast. This will be my first perm. I have warned you already that I'm slow. Moreover I will have ridden to Dover the previous day (train back) so my legs will be less than fresh - but that's the idea! So long as you don't feel obliged to stick with me if you are itching to go faster I'll send off for a Seaford - Yalding card.

DIY LEL - Saturday 14 May
« Reply #142 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:39:18 am »
Ah the delights of family life...

Sat 14th May, I have to take my daughter to the wilds of Essex for the day - and not wanting to pay petrol for a double journey or sit and twiddle my thumbs for 11 hours, I have conceived a cunning plan....

DIY LEL   Southern legs..

Start Chignall (CM1 4TE)  at 9.30 am - down to Loughton, up through Gamlingay to St Ives, back down through Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow to Chignall ( I need to be back by 8.30 pm)

I've entered this with JH   http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JHA09/ agreed GPS validation with him, and got the track all worked out to follow the proposed LEL route as far as possible.

I'd be happy if anyone wanted to join me for all or part ?

« Reply #143 on: 12 June, 2011, 10:44:09 am »
I'm looking to do El Supremo's Buckbarn-Sutton Scotney 200k permanent on Sat 9th July. I'll be riding down from Horsham, about 6 miles from the start at Buckbarn. The ride goes Buckbarn, Chichester, Winchester, Sutton Scotney, Liss, Buckbarn. I'm afraid El S hasn't offered to set up a personal tea and stollen station.

I ride SLOW (prob a little over 12 hours). If there are any like minded souls out there it would be good to have company (or just a wave from any faster rider speeding past).

A google search for Buckbarn will fail - it is near Copsale, on the crossroads of the A24 and A272, with a large drive through MacD's its only claim to fame as far as I can make out. (Happy to be put right if I've maligned the place).

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #144 on: 13 June, 2011, 01:21:20 pm »
I am possibly going to do a 200km Peak Permenant sometime between 6th & 13th July.
Either the Eureka or Newport audax.
It will be at my pace. Full Value For Money time-wise.

If you wish to ride,PM me.

ETA  It's going to be the Newport 200,starting from Alsager.

EFTA  It's going to be the 6th or 7th

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #145 on: 19 June, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »
Ipswich-York-Ipswich
double overnighter
start time 2pm on 24/6/11
rolling speed about 23kph, average speed w/ stops about 16.67kph

Ipswich - Downham Market - Sutterton Roundabout - Gainsborough - York, and back
approx 610km

(will enter shortly, Martin.)

<edit w/ more accuracy>
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #146 on: 05 July, 2011, 06:44:11 pm »
I am possibly going to do a 200km Peak Permenant sometime between 6th & 13th July.

EFTA  It's going to be the 6th or 7th

I've decided to delay this untill sometime w/c 11 07 11.
My legs still feel a little tired after my Tan Hill efforts &,more importantly,my head tells me I'd not enjoy it atm..

graham57

LEL DIY 19-20 August
« Reply #147 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
I am taking a couple of days off 18/19/20/21 August and have thought of a couple of options for rides. Does anyone fancy either

1. LEL DIY either Edinburgh --- Saffron Walden approx 600km

2. LEL DIY Thirsk to Edinburgh and back

3. Couple of other DIY 300/200 near Thirsk perhaps Northallerton to Carlisle 300 and back and Tour of the Moors 200km on day 3

Anyone not going to France fancy any of these?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #148 on: 11 July, 2011, 02:05:53 pm »

EFTA  It's going to be the 6th or 7th

I've decided to delay this untill sometime w/c 11 07 11.
My legs still feel a little tired after my Tan Hill efforts &,more importantly,my head tells me I'd not enjoy it atm..

This Wednesday is looking goodtogo

Billy Weir

« Reply #149 on: 20 July, 2011, 07:42:18 am »
A weekend awheel in Tayside (and a bit of Fife).  Done whilst in the area for a summer retreat visiting family.  Day 1 I'm doing as a YH Dart.  Day 2 just for the miles and smiles.

Saturday 30 July (210km)
Dundee - Alyth - Pitlochry - Kinloch Rannoch - Aberfeldy - Bridge O' Balgie - Crainlarich (overnight stay at YH)

Sunday 31 July (130km - a Sunday pootle)
Crainlarich - Auchterarder - Newburgh - Dundee

The Saturday ride will see me leaving Dundee at 5am.  The Sunday will be more leisurely.

PM me if of interest (could meet up on route, for example).