Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 249573 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #100 on: 29 September, 2008, 06:22:28 pm »
I have emailed the cooncil allotment officer to ask about the possibility of getting a half-plot at Lady Road. Then I read the allotment documents on the cooncil website and discovered that Edinburgh has 1100 plots and a 450-person waiting list.

Maybe having emailed him from my work address will invoke a feeling of cooncil brotherhood and he'll put me at the top of the list.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #101 on: 29 September, 2008, 06:35:50 pm »
We had Allotment Dinner on Saturday night. Roast potatoes, beets, parsnips and sweetcorn, french beans (not roasted, those) and crumble filling all from the allotment.

We spent a fair portion of Saturday weeding, harvesting, cutting back brambles and generally imposing order on the chaos. Brambles fought back and I have a fine collection of scratches still.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #102 on: 01 October, 2008, 03:42:34 pm »
I have had a reply. The waiting list for allotments at my side of town is up to 7 years.

I could be dead (of scurvy) by then.

« Reply #103 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:16:19 pm »
I have had a reply. The waiting list for allotments at my side of town is up to 7 years.

I could be dead (of scurvy) by then.

Oh boo! Get yourself on the list anyway. I know waiting lists in our little patch were several years, and then a rash of people moving, and a couple of new plots being made available, meant that the waiting list was zipped through and is tiny now. A lot of people on the list had moved away or lost interest in the intervening years, which helped lots.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #104 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:58:29 pm »
I emailed my councillors and pointed out that the council's 2002 allotments strategy committed them to increasing allotment capacity, and asked how a 7 year waiting list fulfilled that strategy.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #105 on: 27 October, 2008, 10:01:17 pm »
Dez has been out and dug over the entire plot during the past couple of days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #106 on: 28 October, 2008, 12:49:22 am »
tsk, turn your back for a couple of days and what happens?  championship sized marrows everywhere!...

Lucky bastard!   I'm still waiting for my yellow tomatoes (July) to go red so I can pick them.

You have to do something with compost?  Based on the many books and forum discusions I thought we just composted for the art of it!   ;D

Yup.

I only grow compost in my garden.  Other than putting it on the garden to grow next year's compost what am I supposed to do with it ???

« Reply #107 on: 07 December, 2008, 08:36:36 pm »
Just a couple of hours cleaning up a bit. It was cold and I wasn't working hard but I always feel warm when down at the plot. I was bloody freezing an hour later while cleaning the commuter bike in the garden.

« Reply #108 on: 15 March, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »
Finally got properly started. We've been clearing up and digging over some of the plot in the last few weeks. Today planted the potatoes, onions and some broad beans.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #109 on: 15 March, 2009, 01:35:07 pm »
I mowed the lawn and planted Miss Z's runner beans in pots.  Hopefully they'll be able to go out before they take over the kitchen, which is what happened last year.

Yesterday I planted what will eventually be a dwarf box hedge around the (circular) rose bed.  I estimate 5-6 years.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #110 on: 17 March, 2009, 08:27:29 pm »
I thought it was April for runners? - just what I've been reading up on as I'm going to plant some too.

I planted a few rows yesterday - onions, endive, chicory and cabbage all withstood the severe winter OK  but broad beans didn't - and today sewed/stuck some tough plastic together to cover two 6' x 3' cloches I made using timber and water pipe.  I noticed a blackbird pecking around this morning, hopefully not denuding my new seed beds - if it'd been a pigeon or the squirrel that comes right up to my back door I'd have had my catapult out.  Though went out over the winter one day to find a heap of pigeon feathers next to my nipped-off cabbage leaves - bon appetit, Reynard!  :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #111 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:15:26 am »
Yesterday was spent planting a new rose (Tequila Sunrise, an orange/yellow hybrid tea rose with a heavy fragrance - just right for tub growing in an enclosed courtyard garden) and planting a blackcurrant bush.

I also sowed early salad leaves and sowed some aubergine seeds (a first for me this year).  Both pots are siting on the kitchen window.

I also prepared a couple of tubs for some early tomato plants I have on order.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #112 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:18:32 am »
I also prepared a couple for some early tomato plants I have on order.

How do you "prepare a couple" Reg? Spreading your wings? And didn't they object?  O:-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #113 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:20:54 am »
I also prepared a couple for some early tomato plants I have on order.

How do you "prepare a couple" Reg? Spreading your wings? And didn't they object?  O:-)

Whoops!  :-[

Duly amended!   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #114 on: 11 April, 2009, 07:14:49 pm »
Slaughtered the ivy and nettles in the no-man's-land between our wall and next door's fence.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Si

« Reply #115 on: 13 April, 2009, 07:32:59 pm »
put the seed potatoes in.  Buggrit, 30 left over. why do I never calaulat the space needed right?  Anyone need some seed potatoes? Maris piper mains I think.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #116 on: 03 May, 2009, 10:05:24 pm »
Poured a pint of fresh piss into the compost!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #117 on: 03 May, 2009, 11:13:10 pm »
Not my plot, but today I've been clearing a huge patch of brambles from my daughter's garden.

My forearms are scrtched to buggery, and also scorched from the fire we burnt them on.

I also set my hair on fire.  ::-)

Still got most of my eyebrows, but I think the hair has to be cropped - it's all frazzled.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Si

« Reply #118 on: 04 May, 2009, 10:07:39 am »
place yer burnt hair around the seedlings - it keeps slugs off (or so an old wife told me).

« Reply #119 on: 13 May, 2009, 06:56:30 pm »
Went to B&Q with the bike trailer, bought a lawnmower- one of those push-along jobs.

Took it home and put it together. Back in the trailer and took it to the allotment where I cut my grass (there is still about a quarter of the plot which I haven't cultivated yet).

Beats using shears.

Then I planted some courgettes.

Noticed my potatoes are really slow to get going this year, sure there's usually plenty of green stuff by this time of year.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #120 on: 13 May, 2009, 08:15:19 pm »
We don't live far from Palinaurus and our tomatoes don't seem to be progressing.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #121 on: 14 May, 2009, 06:56:42 pm »
We don't live far from Palinaurus and our tomatoes don't seem to be progressing.

Are these two eventualities in some way connected? :o

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #122 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:26:01 am »

Are these two eventualities in some way connected? :o

They are both Solanaceae. Possibly therefore.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #123 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:44:58 pm »
Right, a rare weekend near the house has let us catch up a bit.

Loving my new hoe - it's a Swoe, and works like a draw hoe or a Dutch hoe.  Much easier to use.

Aaaanyway, we've planted:

Beetroot
Carrot
Parsnip
Runner Beans
More shallots
Radishes
Spring Onions
Marigolds interplanted to stop carrot & onion fly
Lobelia around the blackcurrant bush, which has a lot of currants coming
Begonias & Fuchsias in the front garden
Trough full of herbs

And I remembered to put some canes in for the peas I put in last week.

Fingers crossed for success
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #124 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:53:04 pm »
Charlotte has built 3 raised beds, and we're going to build a couple more.

I've been to the plant sale and bought

8 leeks
6 runner beans
2 courgettes
6 caulis
3 gardeners delight tomatoes
2 F1 hybrid tomatoes, which promise to be cherry tomatoes which look like strawberries
and a Tumbling Tom.

The hybrid tomatoes are in already, the others are still in their seedling pots and will be planted over the course of the next week.

I'm really looking forward to having a garden to play with.  This is my first attempt so let's see if we get anything edible out of it...