Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333388 times)

Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #450 on: 10 February, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
It could be YOU :o

Not in front of the telly: Warning over 'listening' TV

The warning applies to TV viewers who control their Samsung Smart TV using its voice activation feature.
When the feature is active, such TV sets "listen" to what is said and may share what they hear with Samsung or third parties, it said.
Privacy campaigners said the technology smacked of the telescreens, in George Orwell's 1984, which spied on citizens.

..Samsung said: "If a consumer consents and uses the voice recognition feature, voice data is provided to a third party during a requested voice command search.

So, yeah, you too could appear on telly soon.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #451 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:55:47 pm »
I don't know if it's "worth watching" but a short documentary involving cycling London to Brighton (not sure if it's the charridee ride or not). 1930 London Live on Freeview

"Following five youngsters from different backgrounds as they cycle from London to Brighton, examining the transformative potential of the bicycle in bringing people together"

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #452 on: 14 February, 2015, 11:31:26 pm »
just caught up with this week's Ep - agree with all the above.

Except the tyndale business - never heard of him! (although I do know who Jane Seymour was :P )

its good fun playing "what have we seen _him_ in before???"
I'm embarased to say i may never have seen Mark Rylance before. And I'm kicking myself for not remembering Claire Foy was in the Promise. (this is a lot easier with imdb, isnt it?)

Just been put onto this by the elder gentlemen of my acquaintance. Watched the first four episodes back to back tonight.

Brilliant. Pacing is superb. No intrusive music. Minimal but clear dialogue. Acting. Tension. Cold blooded threats. Cromwell's 'interview' with Henry Purcey was a masterpiece.
The tension and intrigue is fantastic - the playing out of the conflict in Cromwell over the trial of Thomas More was superb.

And then Norfolk (I think) gets all thick of it and potty mouthed at just the right amount of belligerence.

Can't wait for Wednesday.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #453 on: 16 February, 2015, 02:13:05 pm »
Dr Larrington and I were speculating about this last night and concluded that a life of domestic bliss with Gilou was just what the scriptwriter ordered for the already-commissioned series 6.  If Gilou doesn't get killed utterly to DETH by an angry husband first.
Rather a damp squib of an ending, I must say.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #454 on: 16 February, 2015, 06:09:12 pm »
I only realised  Oz was a gurl on reading the cast list in the Radio Times!  Nice to see Maitre Karlsson back to her old ways though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #455 on: 17 February, 2015, 12:13:51 am »
I'm not sure a Jimmy Nail character would've gone down well. Do you reckon Roban's in for a bit of rumpy-pumpy in series 6? Not sure I'd want to witness that...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #456 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:17:25 am »
I'm sure Arsene Wenger Juge Roban had a romantic interest in an earlier series but I don't feel up to 36 hours of subtitled Stuffs today, doubly so since both series of "The Bridge" are still in my to-be-watched pile.

« Reply #457 on: 17 February, 2015, 05:59:50 pm »
Ah, Broen/The Bridge; the only series with a female lead character, Saga Norén, who makes Engranages' Laure Berthaud look like a well-balanced individual.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #458 on: 17 February, 2015, 06:05:43 pm »
Laure has benn getting steadily more normal over the years.  By the time she retires or is killed utterly to DETH she'll have turned into Juliet Bravo.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #459 on: 18 February, 2015, 08:45:27 am »
Wolf Hall is brilliant, have caught up with the first 4 episodes and am looking forward to tonight's episode.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #460 on: 18 February, 2015, 08:59:02 am »
Heads up for Saturday: Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The South.  BBC2, 21:00.  Three-part road trip through the southern US exploring the place through its music.  As a confirmed USAniaphile this appeals.

David Martin

« Reply #461 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:02:31 am »
Wolf Hall is brilliant, have caught up with the first 4 episodes and am looking forward to tonight's episode.
And so it develops.. Next week will be great.
Definitely a slow burner of a series. Proper acting with more said unspoken than in the lines.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #462 on: 19 February, 2015, 08:32:02 am »
And so it develops.. Next week will be great.
Definitely a slow burner of a series. Proper acting with more said unspoken than in the lines.

Due a bout of the lurgy I missed it, shall DL it and try to watch it tonight.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #463 on: 19 February, 2015, 06:35:55 pm »
Heads up for Saturday: Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The South.  BBC2, 21:00.  Three-part road trip through the southern US exploring the place through its music.  As a confirmed USAniaphile this appeals.
Dya think Rich Hall was asking for too much money?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #464 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:48:19 am »
Perhpas Rich Hall is, well, er, y'know, a bit too white.  BRITAIN gets Messrs Hunter and Hall while the USAnians get Piers Moron and Craig Ferguson.  Win :thumbsup:

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #465 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:22:59 pm »
RAAM 2014 tonight Europsort 9pm
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #466 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:23:12 pm »

My grate frend Frank recommended this to me.  I downloaded it and watched it whilst doing the vebavat.  Ded gud it was. Can't wait for the next episode.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #467 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:26:50 pm »

Back in the day I was part of a collective putting on interesting club nights that mixed music, comedy, dancing, art and video into experiences rather than jumping up and down to deafining drum and bass. Reginald D Hunter was doing a set (for free cos he's ace) and I bumped into him in the yard at the back of the venue where we'd stashed all the old flightcases and created a bit of a wonderland smoking area. He's a jolly nice chap, even shared his vodka with me, was very pleased when he started appearing on that tellybox thing.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #468 on: 25 February, 2015, 08:06:57 pm »
Dante's Peak is on!  Pierce Brosnan invalidates his car hire warranty, oh yes.  That's my evening sorted.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #469 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:38:47 pm »
Wolf Hall is just blowing me away. No unnecessary soundtrack, no dumbing down. Fantastic sets and lighting with sparse dialogue. There is a lot of silence in it. Everything is conveyed with a look, a touch or a short pithy bit of dialogue.
The book is brilliant as well, I,m just starting on it at the moment.

As an aside I also watched the documentary on Tyndale's bible. Melvin Bragg claimed Tyndale's is forgotten today and that almost no one knows who he was, really ? I would think anyone with a passing interest in either Tudor or religious history would know who Tyndale was.

I've been up his monument a few times

David Martin

« Reply #470 on: 25 February, 2015, 11:13:26 pm »
Last episode of Wolf Hall. Awesome. Is there a sequel?

The lighting was fantastic - Absolutely brilliant (or not as it left all the corners in shadow). The plot moves with a relentless beat. You know the eventual outcome, but how the mighty fall. Cromwell as the bull terrier of Tudor England.

Great TV - more please BBC. Though definitely a bit of license with the chronology of the book.

« Reply #471 on: 26 February, 2015, 01:18:24 am »
Having been a bit of a dozy sod and not got started to Wolf Hall, I find Ep 1 has vanished from Auntie's magnificent iPlayer.

I don't suppose anyone happens to have an, um, backup that could do with being stored offsite? I'd be more than happy to inspect it for integrity.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #472 on: 26 February, 2015, 02:24:59 am »
Watched the Reginald D Hunter wossname tonight.  It was teh Aces.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #473 on: 26 February, 2015, 07:41:33 am »
You've Been Framed was odd last night - mostly rubbish but there was a great clip of some middle-aged woman falling down the stairs.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #474 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:45:21 am »
Watched the Reginald D Hunter wossname tonight.  It was teh Aces.

It's his RADA training luvvee.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.