Author Topic: Joint supplements for dogs  (Read 2018 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
Joint supplements for dogs
« on: 30 March, 2021, 03:06:31 pm »
Our rescue floofbeast has arthritis because her needs were neglected by her first five owners (she was allowed to get terribly overweight and not exercised enough). She started limping a couple of years ago, intermittently. The vet put her on anti-inflammatories, which settled it. It re-occurred a few months later, and again she got better within a week. Same thing happened a few months after that, and it recently happened again. It's normally after she's been doing a berserk leaping up and down steep banks looking for rabbits. Vet's advice is to make her lose weight, but I can feel all her ribs -- she's chunky for a husky, not fat.

She's on Joint Aid for dogs, but it's not having the same efficacy as it used to. Does anyone have any recommendations for really good supplements for their furry friends? I've heard mixed things about YuMove.

Photo for cuteness:

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Joint supplements for dogs
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:46:15 pm »
DIY : Golden paste aka turmeric paste is good, you can find recipes online.  A faff to make to be honest and good organic turmeric does colour things so wear gloves and be careful not to spill :)

Money : Nutraquin+ (https://www.nutravet.co.uk/nutraquin) is what we are giving out mutt for her joints. She is good on it, but sadly it is that bad now that she is also on a mild pain killer.

We have heard the same about YuMove.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Davef

Joint supplements for dogs
« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2021, 09:27:44 pm »
Our geriatric Labrador is having a new lease of life since starting on yumove and occasional pain killers (metacam) a few weeks back. It could be she overheard the telephone conversation with the vet but this is unlikely as she is profoundly deaf.

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2021, 11:30:47 am »
 ;D We keep telling the floof that she needs to stop limping or it's the vet for her. The thing is, it's really intermittent even over the course of a day. So she'll hobble slowly into the house when she's called in but wants to stay in the garden, but scamper over like a puppy if you mentioned cheese. And there's zero sign of a limp out on her walks. I've had issues with stress fractures and ligament damage in my right foot, and it's her front right paw, and part of me wonders if she's being a copycat, like the lurcher whose owner spent £300 trying to find out what was wrong with him:

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/pets/a35251213/limping-lurcher-copying-owner-viral/

(Disclaimer: I do not read Country Living, not even in the doctor's waiting room, but it was the first link that wasn't a hate rag when I googled.)

The other part of me wonders if this is just her massive inner diva manifesting in new ways. It's has been quite a journey with her since we got her four years ago. She turned 9 last August, so she should still be in pretty good shape. Husky Haven is up the road from us, and they have a dog still running in the team at 15yo. It's just that she'd been overweight by 5kg (so 20% of her healthy maximum bodyweight) since she was two, and only given half an hour of walking a day. She couldn't even manage 3 miles when we first got her  >:(.

Woollypigs: thanks for that! Nutraquin was the one I'd vaguely heard was really good but couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me. I'd looked at making up golden paste myself, but wasn't sure if the expense side of things worked out any cheaper once you'd bought the various oils and recommended spices.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:31:46 pm »
The basic golden paste is just turmeric, coconut milk and pepper corns. If you like to cook your own curries then you got most of it already if not all. It is only getting expensive if you go "posh" on on the ingredient :) It is just messy and very colour full, even with little gummy bear form to make nice little bite sized pills.

Yup there isn't a sign of pain on our mutt when out walkies or getting ready to go over the MiL. The only thing that shows that there is something wrong is that she draws a line (a C) in the sand or snow with her right hind leg when she is getting tired. And at the end of the day she struggles with going up the stairs to sleep. I have build a small stepping stool to help her to jump up into the bed.

We have been to physio and the vet with her and both says that she does hide her pain very well too, so that is pride or Diva.

We tried metacam and it clearly helped with the pain, but she reacted to it badly and lost a lot of weight. We tried another pain killer like metacam but I can't remember it atm but had the same result. She is now on half a paracetamol a day and that have taken the edge of the pain. She can get up the stairs easier now and only ask for a boost or go slow if she have been out on a longer walk.

We didn't see the "benefits seen within 4-7 days due to its scientifically proven formula" that they claim on the website, but she is clearly better off on it. We could see the results when we compared to say the month before.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit