Author Topic: Accidental late night ingestment of foreign matter...  (Read 1764 times)

goatpebble

Accidental late night ingestment of foreign matter...
« on: 29 November, 2008, 01:49:31 am »
I have just spat out a Swiss bus ticket. It had sat quietly on my kitchen counter, waiting for a chance to jump into my late night gnocchi and gorgonzola.

Has anyone else had such accidents?

Re: Accidental late night ingestment of foreign matter...
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2008, 08:05:53 pm »
My first (and last) attempt at cooking cous cous.
I'd only eaten it once before. But when I was eating  what I'd cooked, it tasted a bit crunchier than my previous tasting. It wasn't as tasty either.
Later on, I started to wash up my saucepan, only tpo notice that some of the non stick was no longer stuck to the bottom of the saucepan.
So that's what those dark crunchy bits were. ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2008, 08:12:34 pm »
A former colleague of my brother's, with whom we used to do a fair bit of fishing, had a crown on one of his front teeth. One day he inadvertently swallowed it and, working in the Essex Water Co laboratory, had enough in the way of sieves and buckets on hand that every time he need to go for a crap he would search through the turds for his tooth, it being an expensive one and all. He found it, sterilised it, took it to the dentist and had it re-fitted.

Sadly to no avail. Only a few weeks later we were swimming in the sea off the Dengie Peninsula, it being 1976 and the water being warmer than your average heated pool, and his tooth came out once more and fell into the sea, sadly never to be seen again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2008, 08:20:16 pm »
My first (and last) attempt at cooking cous cous.
I'd only eaten it once before. But when I was eating  what I'd cooked, it tasted a bit crunchier than my previous tasting. It wasn't as tasty either.
Later on, I started to wash up my saucepan, only tpo notice that some of the non stick was no longer stuck to the bottom of the saucepan.
So that's what those dark crunchy bits were. ::-)

I've done the same thing with scrambled egg.  I had a really nice set of non-stick pans that my flatmate used to clean with a metal scouring pad, and the non-stick flaked off into the pans.  ::-) 

If you ever want to make cous cous again - don't cook it.  Just stick it in a bowl and pour boiling water over it, leave it for three minutes then fluff it up with a fork.  Cooking it will turn it to a nasty gloopy porridge, black bits optional.

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2008, 08:25:01 pm »
If you ever want to make cous cous again - don't cook it.  Just stick it in a bowl and pour boiling water over it, leave it for three minutes then fluff it up with a fork.  Cooking it will turn it to a nasty gloopy porridge, black bits optional.

I think that I fluffed it up enough last time thanks. I'll stick to pasta. I have a stainless steel saucepan now.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2008, 09:00:27 am »
I remember the first time my mum bought a frozen pizza. I must have been about 9 at the time. She didn't realise it was on a plastic base till we started eating it...

More up to date, anything edible that's not hot and is left around our flat for more than half an hour gets invaded by tiny black ants. They even get into tea and coffee (regardless of sugar and milk content) once it's cold.

I can report that they are completely tasteless, but the larger, reddish ants have a strongly sour effect.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2008, 09:22:40 am »
Sort of on topic. Our youngest son bought me a pestle and mortar for Father's day this year, a really heavy stone one. The first time I used it was to make a tapanade to spread over salmon steaks. I mashed the olives, anchovies and other ingredients to a satisfying pulp and completed the dinner, and very impressive it looked. Unfortunately, when we came to eat it we discovered that the lovely tasty topping was rather gritty. In fact we just couldn't eat it and had to scrape if off and discard it. That is when I realised just how good my new pestle and mortar really was. It mashed up those olives no problem, stones and all!  ::-)

alan

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2008, 10:20:00 am »
a pestle and mortar

You are Merlin AICMFP