Author Topic: Afternoon Tea  (Read 3151 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Afternoon Tea
« on: 13 June, 2010, 08:07:49 pm »
Today, I cycled into town for afternoon tea at the Rose Lounge.  It was definitely a good tea and my companions raved about it, but I think the Criterion does it better.  You get more cakes at the Criterion (the Rose Lounge limits you to a choice of two), the cakes are not as rich (found the Rose Lounge cakes to be a bit too rich) and are more interesting.  Also, the teapots at the Criterion are ones that let you lift the leaves out of the water when it's at the right strength.

Anybody else a fan of afternoon tea?  If so, know anywhere good?
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Re: Afternoon Tea
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2010, 11:03:16 pm »
I Love afternoon tea. :) Grosvenor House Hotel on Park Lane do the best, I think. The Astoria's is pretty good as well. My favourite tea is the Dorchester's own blend.

I'm having afternoon tea instead of a hen night, it's much more my thing 8).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:15:55 am »
The Thunderbox.

Those of you that know it will understand what I mean. For the rest of you it remains a secret.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

bikenerd

« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:59:19 am »
We went to The Old Parsonage in Oxford for Mrs. Nerd's birthday.
Very good.  Finger sandwiches, two fresh out of the oven scones, two pieces of cake and a shortbread biscuit.  Everything of an excellent quality.  I had Himalayan Darjeeling tea which was very light (in a good way!).
Quite a bit cheaper than the London places you linked to and much nicer surroundings than the hotels in the middle of Oxford, like the Randolph.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »
Is it a Northern thing to refer to Afternoon tea - in order to distinguish it from normal tea which is bloaters or something eaten after work before going to the pub?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2010, 01:03:00 pm »
The Lanesborough. Bliss. Potted palms, glass roof, piano, eau de nil coloured walls. Stupid number of teas to choose from and cakes and sarnies to die for. Much better than Claridges.

Scones with clotted cream and jam: do you put the jam or cream on first? I'm a jam first woman, personally - allows more cream to be loaded on top.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2010, 01:18:46 pm »
My wife went for afternoon tea at Brown's a few months ago and hasn't shut up about it since.

lmm - definitely jam first, for the same reason, though I don't really like a lot of cream on my scones.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »
Fortnum and Masons was fantastic, can't recommend it enough :thumbsup:

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2010, 03:58:30 pm »
Is it a Northern thing to refer to Afternoon tea - in order to distinguish it from normal tea which is bloaters or something eaten after work before going to the pub?

It's not a Northern thing, no.  but it is to distinguish it from the later "high" tea, yes.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2010, 04:07:05 pm »
IME "high tea" was what you had at seaside guest houses when you were too young to join the grown-ups for dinner of prawn cocktail and boeuf bourguignon.

d.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 14 June, 2010, 05:38:19 pm »
The Thunderbox.

WHEN

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 14 June, 2010, 09:09:12 pm »

Scones with clotted cream and jam: do you put the jam or cream on first? I'm a jam first woman, personally - allows more cream to be loaded on top.
Jam first. It's really difficult to spread jam on top of cream. Jam first, then cream.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #12 on: 14 June, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »

Jam first. It's really difficult to spread jam on top of cream. Jam first, then cream.
Absolutely :smug:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »
Cream first.It seems that you might need more practice Kirst ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 15 June, 2010, 10:40:51 am »
Cream is Rong.  Clotted cream is like milk that's been left out too long and had an accident with some sugar.

Scones have butter & jam.
Getting there...

« Reply #15 on: 15 June, 2010, 11:00:33 am »
I remember the good ole days when, if you flew mid-afternoon on a domestic flight with BA, you would get tea with scone, jam and a little pot of proper clotted cream.

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 15 June, 2010, 11:55:03 am »
Cream is Rong.  Clotted cream is like milk that's been left out too long and had an accident with some sugar.

If clotted cream is milk that's been left out too long, what's butter? ;)

As for cheese... by rights, it ought to be disgusting.  ;D

d.

« Reply #17 on: 15 June, 2010, 12:39:43 pm »

As for cheese... by rights, it ought to be disgusting.  ;D

It mostly is, with very few exceptions.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 16 June, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »

Nay lad, Scones should be made from stones and have no jam or butter on them whatsoever. You've gone soft down south.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2010, 09:15:03 pm »
Aye, I know. :(
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 18 June, 2010, 12:24:56 am »
Milk becomes better the older and more disgustinger it gets and the more askydents it has had (not necessarily with sugar).

Afternoon tea? Of course. Anywhere and everywhere. Pretty good in the morning too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.