Author Topic: After a coffee cake recipe  (Read 1941 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
After a coffee cake recipe
« on: 16 June, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »
I'm a fairly recent convert to this baking malarkey - only really got started when I needed to make birthday cakes for CrinklyCub the elder, and my mum wasn't really up to being lumbered with the job any more.  So, I've got my mum's orange and lemon cake sussed.  My sister's chocolate cake recipe holds no fears.  And the mother-in-common law's chocolate and banananananana cake recipe usually turns out OK.

But I'm getting bored with making the same three cakes, and I fancy a really good coffee cake recipe.  Any recommendations?

Re: After a coffee cake recipe
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2010, 11:12:36 am »
I do a standard victoria sponge but with extra strong instant decaf instead of the milk. About 5 tspns coffee to 2tbspn hot water. Coffee buttercream icing and walnuts on top. For adult birthdays I do a mochaccino cake- coffee sponge, chocolate mousse, coffee and frangelico ganache topping.
Goes down well, I've found.

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2010, 12:08:06 pm »
There are many recipes on the Web these days.

Try cooks.com to start with but there are many other Cooking Websites. Most are American, hence search for English coffee cake to start.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Legs

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2010, 04:03:20 pm »
Can't go far wrong with a Delia All-in-One sponge (coffee variant).

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2010, 07:07:25 pm »
I used to have a fabulous coffee and walnut cake recipe much like boab's one above.  Sadly I lost it - this is what happens when you scribble recipes on the back of an envelope - so I'll give the boab version a try!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:01:40 pm »
This is my mum's own recipe:

COFFEE GATEAU
(if using metric measurements you will have to convert!)

Grease and line with greaseproof or baking parchment circles two 7 inch sandwich tins.  Light oven Gas mark 5 or equivalent temperature if electric.

6 oz. self-raising flour (sift into large bowl)
add:
5 oz. soft spread/margarine
5 oz. caster sugar
3 medium to large eggs
1 tablespoon coffee/chicory essence (Camp)
(use coffee granules mixed with a little hot water if you don't have Camp)

Mix above ingredients with hand-held electric mixer until well mixed.  Half way through mixing scrape down mixture with flexible spatula and beat again for a minute or two.  Do not over-beat.

Place mixture in tins and bake for about 23 minutes.  Test with light fingertip pressure.  Should spring back if done and be slightly shrunk from sides of tins.  Cool for few minutes in tins then turn our onto wire rack.  Peel off paper, leave for few minutes more then turn right way up.

When thoroughly cold fill and decorate.

Filling:  about one heaped tablespoonful soft marg/spread.  Beat in as much icing sugar and about a tablespoon of coffee essence as will make a soft creamy light filling.  Sandwich cakes with the filling, saving some for the top.  Spread the remainder of filling over the top of cake roughing up with tip of a knife or a fork.  Decorate edge of cake with halved walnuts and halved cherries.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

CrinklyLion

« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2010, 09:49:35 am »
I know I could have googled it- but I like cakes that come with a recommendation :)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I shall have to go and experiment :)

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2010, 01:00:19 pm »
I remember my Mum used to just make the cream filling and icing of a chocolate cake with coffee added.  I think she generally used Camp Coffee to add to the filling and icing, but I recall making something similar using a small amount of instant coffee dissolved with some hot water.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2010, 12:52:54 pm »
Having tasted Crinkly's coffee cake last night, my verdict is a serious  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:25:37 pm »
Recipe is now on the recipe's thread :)
Recipes

« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2010, 09:52:46 pm »
Damn I didn't get any. :(

I did get some of the orange and lemon cake though. :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #11 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:02:35 pm »
I left two behind in Dunwich as well!

« Reply #12 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »

Dunno what happened to those. :-\

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #13 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:35:43 pm »
That sounds nice. Today I spent 5 hours harvesting blackcurrents and turning them into home made pies. Was it worth 5 hours work ya may ask for two pies ? oh yes'

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #14 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:39:36 pm »

Dunno what happened to those. :-\

We ated them.  :smug: