Author Topic: Any gaggia owners willing to give me some tips?  (Read 1269 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Any gaggia owners willing to give me some tips?
« on: 23 August, 2008, 10:09:48 pm »
Got a new gaggia for my Bday

Made some very nice cappuccino, and lattes, but am struggling with "americano?" (water based) coffee.

Basically I am not sure how to get the strength right for an espresso shot to "lengthen" with hot water, then add a dash of milk. Basically not getting the strength right.

I am using the two cup filter, and using two scoops of grounds, and allowing the water to run through for about 30s. If I make two mugs with this it is too weak. If I make one, it is too strong.

Anyone willing to share process.

Thanks

Re: Any gaggia owners willing to give me some tips?
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2008, 02:41:30 pm »
Without trying to be facetious, you could try making one and half mugs to get the strength somewhere in-between?

I'm not scientific about it.  I like it strong and generally fill the two cup filter to the top, tamp it down a bit and then run the water through till I have a double espresso size.  Never timed it but probably less than 30 secs!  For an Americano (black) I then add water to fit the mug I'm using. 

Keep practicing - however awful, it will always taste better than Starbucks! 

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2008, 09:50:53 pm »
Unless you use Starbucks coffee (I have tried this experiment at home)...

You need a bigger mug. The length of time you run it won't make much difference - it's all in the dilution.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:07:09 am »
Agreed - about 2:1 makes a nice long coffee in my book, but it's personal taste.  Once you find mugs of the right size, you will cherish them!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:47:47 am »
Why are you using mugs? Americanos in Europe are generally in a large (cappucino) cup or a smaller (double) espresso cup. The two cup brew head produces 2 x single espresso or 1 x double espresso. The 'ideal' espresso is produced in @25 seconds and your grind/machine needs calibrating to this.
If I was making an Americano, I would set the machine up for a double espresso and when the coffee stream runs paler then turn the flow off when you think it's right. I called in at the retailers a couple of times to ask about these problems. You could buy a Jura bean-cup machine that does the work for you, but really it's just practice.
Have a look at

Espresso Machines, Coffee Makers, Grinders, Coffee Accessories For Gourmet Coffee Drinks