Author Topic: Abingdon's finest Indian dining, for those wanting to lose weight.  (Read 3944 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Posting this as we went there following positive reviews (some here too). After long day on the river, looking forward to Abingdons best indian dining restaurant.
Slightly puzzled when in response to being asked to suggest, based on what they do really well the only response was ' how spicy?' No mention of any other possible quality or flavour criteria. This should have rung some warning bells but we missed them, lured into a sense of security by the branded carpet.
Anyway we ordered and about 45mins later (time to consume a couple of beers) a meal arrived. Of sorts.
The chicken 'speciality' was bits of chicken, surrounded by chillies - mounds of chillies. Clearly designed for drunks bragging rights rather than as actual food. My lamb was strip/slices of grey  dry leathery frazzled meat,  submerged in a brown ghee 'sauce', which I suspect the meat met en route to the microwave.  Bombay potatoes looked like cheap catering mixed veg heated in another sauce.
I have not seen such awful indian food since the 80's, and I have no idea how they get away with it, or have a reputation as a good place to eat.
So bad was this that it was actually funny - until the London level bill arrived. Ouch. We paid up because we didn't want to cause a scene, and put it down to experience.
The pain of the bill however was as nothing to the ensuing gastric eruption at 0300, and the next three days which left my chum Andrew a dehydrated husk, considerably slimmer and lighter than before but rather weak.  He ate the chicken, in retrospect a huge mistake. Even his curry hardened constitution couldn't handle the foul toxic brew of a Dil Raj chicken special. Lucky for me I couldn't swallow with the sauce which I suspect included nitromors, possibly for antibacterial reasons, and I gave up on the shoe leather passing off as lamb, so escaped with only a mild dose of Abingdon's premier gastric cleansing operation.

Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Abingdon's finest Indian dining, for those wanting to lose weight.
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2014, 05:20:01 pm »
Should this be reported to Environmental Health or whatever trendy name it's got nowadays?
Email these dudes? env.health@southandvale.gov.uk

levitator

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2014, 10:01:32 am »
That's really sad - it must be years and years since I experienced what I'd call a 'bad' Asian meal.  Admittedly I generally find the starters the most enjoyable: when it comes to the mains they tend to have the quality of 'same'ness.

I do recall once - many years ago - suffering the same sort of 'outcome' as you report, but that was when I was a student (i.e. skint), eating out as cheap as possible, in a well-dodgy outfit ridden with rats and cockroaches (as I afterwards learnt, i.e. when the place was closed down by the EH guys).  Once bitten...

I feel I must include a plug for what I consider one of the best.  If you're ever in the area, don't pass up the superb Prashad in Drighlington (near Leeds/Bradford).  This one is vegetarian: if you prefer meat, go for the well-known and always reliable (in my experience) Mumtaz in Bradford.  And neither of these will break the bank.

levitator

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2014, 10:07:33 am »
I should have added, for those mainly interested in chasing the scovilles, try one of these:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2014/mar/11/the-spiciest-meals-in-britain
Not quite my line, I'm afraid.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »
Nobody had ever finished a portion until consultant radiologist (and daredevil) Ian Rothwell managed it in January last year. "It took Mr Rothwell just over an hour," said Muhammed Karim, the restaurant's boss, "but that included a 10-minute walk down Grantham High Street when he started hallucinating."

Maybe he went to have a look at the Iron Lady for fortification.
It is simpler than it looks.

levitator

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2014, 05:13:01 pm »
Maybe he went to have a look at the Iron Lady for fortification.
From the Widower Curry Challenge Rules:
All challengers can consume the widower in a safe manner at a speed the choose ,but the widower curry has to be hold down for a minimum of 15 minutes as part of the endurance test .
Might I suggest that taking a look at the aforesaid Lady might not be the best option, in the circumstances?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
Part of this Salmonella outbreak?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28804267

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2014, 10:38:52 am »
That's very counter to our experiences there - and I would have said it was clearly the best in Abingdon.  Probably last ate there some 6  months ago and it was great as in our experience it always had been.
Maybe ownership has changed.  This has happened at the Al-Zaib and that's gone downhill notably too.

Sorry to hear this, it was my favourite, but things change unfortunately.

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2014, 03:52:27 pm »
No, most of my experiences there are from > 1 year ago, I don't think it's changed hands.
Than I'm perplexed ....

levitator

« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2014, 08:00:23 pm »
Isn't it merely a matter of "one man's meat is another man's ..... " etc. etc.?

ian

« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2014, 08:05:27 pm »
The Indian food experience is a bit grim in my experience. We're always being told that such-and-such a place has brilliant food. It invariably doesn't. It's worse when they're with you and you have to look at the pile of red-brown slurry you've been presented with something that might, on a dark night, pass for enthusiasm. You can poke the stuff that might be chicken or the unfortunate misadventure of a kitchen mouse, watch it loll around in enough oil that you figure a supertanker has grounded out back. I think I previously described the spicing to be reminiscent of the Raj, mostly because that was probably when they were prepared. We went to some place near Gloucester a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely packed, great reviews, with people who swore by the place. Seriously, I've microwaved better curries. And we're talking Tesco value here. Takeouts from anywhere seem bad – not awful just the same vague, indistinguishable gloop – they've obviously figured anyone on the receiving end is drunk or desperate enough not to care. There are good places but they seem in a minority. I'll have the korma of ineffable disappointment.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2014, 11:55:12 pm »
My experience of curries does not accord with ian's.
I'm eating few curries now because I'm attempting to lose weight and eat healthy stuff.
I have had subtly and fragrantly spice foods that delight and a local restaurant delivers takeouts to the door promptly, generously and cheaply.
One man's meat...

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2014, 10:16:49 am »
Generic British curry houses are generally dreadful, serving up oily food that is either bland or too chilli hot. Best way to get good Indian food is to get yourself somewhere with a decent sub-continental population and find out where the locals eat. The food will most likely be better and more authentic. Or, if you are lucky like me, you go round to the M-i-L's for a massive bengali feastie! ;)

For those clost to Tooting I would recommend 4 places personally: Jaffna House (Sri-Lankan food), Chennai Dosa (South Indian- its a chain and having been to the one in Wembley as well that is also good), Masaledar (North Indian and probably closest to "British" curry but much better) and finally Lahore Karahi (it looks basic at best but the North Indian/Pakistani food is amazing, especially the kebabs). Now I am hungry for curry and am stuck in Victoria. Damn.

(On the subject if anyone ever finds a decent proper Bengali restaurant- one serving proper Bengali food, try it and report back. It is a wondeful cuisine and different to the bastardised North Indian food you get here.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2014, 12:22:16 pm »
I'm failing to remember the name of the place I went to in Lancaster a few years ago.  The building was a converted (Methodist?) chapel, it had no drinkohol licence and the food was outta sight.

It may have been Moghuls, in which case the menu appears to have seriously dumbed down -it now features chip FFS!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2014, 12:43:35 pm »
You're thinking of the Sultan of Lancaster.
http://sultanoflancaster.com/restaurant/

Probably a bit far from Abingdon to become the best Indian there. I've been on a works do, it was OK. I do like takeaways in areas with a big sub-continent origin population. They usually do the full range, pizzas, burgers, Southern fried chicken as well as the more obvious dishes. There's a good one at the end of Heather's sister's road in Keighley. You can eat in.
http://www.just-eat.co.uk/restaurants-mangos-bd21/menu

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2014, 01:21:07 pm »
Generic British curry houses are generally dreadful, serving up oily food that is either bland or too chilli hot. Best way to get good Indian food is to get yourself somewhere with a decent sub-continental population and find out where the locals eat. The food will most likely be better and more authentic. Or, if you are lucky like me, you go round to the M-i-L's for a massive bengali feastie! ;)

Well, I do live in Brent...

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »

Well, I do live in Brent...

Bangladeshi food is a little different to the food of West Bengal, although they both use lots of mustard oil, panch phoran and coconut. Just make sure its proper bengali food rather than british north indian cooked by Bangladeshis!

A good cookbook for bengali food was written by Udit Sarkhel- http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Calcutta-Kitchen-Udit-Sarkhel/dp/1845330773/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408461641&sr=8-2&keywords=udit+sarkhel

« Reply #17 on: 22 August, 2014, 04:50:01 pm »
I have a book called 'Curry' which I swear by. I developed a taste for real Indian cooking when dating an Indian girl and her grandmothers cooking was to die for - almost worth keeping the relationship going a bit longer but that all ended horribly and I'm getting off topic.

Anyway bored of the generic takeaway or restaurant meal and this book was a Christmas present from my dad I gave it a go. I'm fairly adventurous in the kitchen anyway but four or five years later I honestly (blowing own trumpet) don't get the same satisfaction from a restaurant/takeaway than I do throwing something together myself and learning a lot more about spice mixes and cooking styles than I would have ever thought of.

The book covers curries the world over so has traditional Indian and Pakistan separated by region, Far east Asia, English derivatives (still better cooked at home) and African and Carribean so gives a good interpretation from around the world.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #18 on: 23 August, 2014, 07:20:22 pm »
Is the book green with "Curry" in pink writing? If so, I have the same one. The panchmael daal is the only daal I've ever liked, and I bloody love it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 24 August, 2014, 07:11:18 pm »
Should have gone to Didcot. Never had a problem in 3 resturarants there  :smug:

(to be honest, I'm not that fussy wrt Indian food. I generally Go Cheap, so probably have low expectations. I find posher places just have nicer tablecloths and more elbow room. And I've got no time for the
"Of course you can't get proper indian food in England - they made up Tikka just for us, don't you know." bores
I just love the stuff, preferably lightly spiced, sans coconut, and with an Indian beer (or proper bitter as a fallback :P ) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #20 on: 25 August, 2014, 07:24:05 pm »
What I should have done is look at reviews for this place on the internet. There is one recent one which almost exactly mirrors our toxic experience. 
What a relief to back in Chiswick though. Reckon I will get a super takeaway from the new 'regional street food' themed place called Potli that is currently the hot ticket round here. No need to put the Andrex in the freezer tonight!
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

levitator

« Reply #21 on: 25 August, 2014, 08:07:49 pm »
What I should have done is look at reviews for this place on the internet. There is one recent one which almost exactly mirrors our toxic experience.
No harm in doing that - but take what you read with a pinch of salt! (literally, or not!)

I'm only guessing here, that you looked at Tripadvisor, seeing as that's the best-known review site.

Well, I looked at this month's reviews, not for the restaurant you had the unfortunate experience with, but for the one we had a meal at recently, up in Scotland.  For this month, nine '5-blobs', one '2-blob' and one '1-blob'.  Now if I'd looked in TA beforehand, and if my eyes had lit on the 1-blob and 2-blob reviews first - I'd probably have given it a miss - and missed a perfectly good meal in the process.  To be fair, the proprietor did answer the negative reviews, and it seems one of them at least was ill-informed.

Of course I'm not accusing you of being ill-informed, don't get me wrong!  I'm sure your experience was very nasty.  Perhaps you should write it up in TA yourself, if you haven't already done so.

What I'm putting across is, reviews are not always trustworthy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 25 August, 2014, 08:19:47 pm »
Some reviews are very trustworthy. I stayed at the Mercure Bolton Last Drop Inn for a family celebration and had various 'issues'. Found a year-old review which I sent to my sister-in-law and she posted "Ha ha, you wrote that yourself!"
I didn't.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 30 August, 2014, 10:40:05 am »
Should have gone to Didcot. Never had a problem in 3 resturarants there  :smug:

I've never had a problem with them either.

I've never been to them.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #24 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:05:16 pm »
Having experienced some amazing and disgraceful behaviour from customers (no doubt pissed) hurling racial and other abuse at restaurant staff in Windsor some years ago, I am not surprised that quality can vary a bit.

Food quality for the masses in the UK is still only adequate at best and abysmal at worst. Having said that someone took me to a Balti house in the outskirts of Brum years ago. It was absolutely incredible, non pretentious, really good value and a place I would visit often if living nearby.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain