Author Topic: Anyone been to Bamberg?  (Read 1120 times)

Anyone been to Bamberg?
« on: 28 June, 2015, 01:11:17 pm »
I'm off there next month. I've been before for overnight stays and have done Fäßla and Spezial and know of the other breweries, but I was wondering if there are any other hidden gems to discover.

Whilst we're there, there is the St Anna Festival in nearby Forchheim, which we'll visit. 24 kellers to investigate!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Anyone been to Bamberg?
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2015, 01:26:55 pm »
Schlenkerla, Mahrs Brau, Klosterbrau  :P :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2015, 01:28:32 pm »
Mahrs Beau also sells liqeur in their little shop. The cherry one is nom.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »
I have to confess that the bottled Schenkerla Rauchbier was a little too in-your-face (or should that be mouth?) smoky for my tastes. Spezial's draught was more subtle.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2015, 05:35:11 pm »
A pint of kippers we used to call the Schlenkerla. You just have to acquire the taste by repeatedly drinking it until your tastebuds admit defeat.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2015, 05:59:29 pm »
I'll try the draught stuff at source, but won't dwell too long on a single beer. So many brews, such little time...

« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2015, 10:26:49 am »
Did Kosterbrau, Schlenkerla, Faessla and Spezial as well as the Wilde Rose beer garden. The woman serving at Spezial was under some strain, I'll admit, but she was very blunt and obnoxious. Spezial's Rauchbier is more to my taste than Schlenkerla's.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2015, 03:20:59 pm »
I have to confess that the bottled Schenkerla Rauchbier was a little too in-your-face (or should that be mouth?) smoky for my tastes. Spezial's draught was more subtle.

I once made the mistake of ordering a pint of Schlenkerla, having never tried smoke beer before. First few sips were mind-blowingly exciting but the novelty soon wore off. First third of the pint was fine but by halfway, I was really struggling. I ended up pouring the last third away.

So yeah, maybe the trick is to order it by the half.

I would love to visit Bamberg one day though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."