Author Topic: I went to a cheese-tasting tonight  (Read 2433 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I went to a cheese-tasting tonight
« on: 09 October, 2008, 10:22:53 pm »
I went to my second Spice Scotland event tonight, which was a cheese-tasting session at Iain Mellis's cheese shop - the Morningside one. There were about 12 of us and we had the shop for an hour after closing time. They'd laid out about 10 cheeses for us to try, with bread and ham and quince jelly and chutney.

Let me find my Mellis catalogue and see what I remember. There was a slightly dull Manchego, but the quince jelly went very well with it. There was a delicious Criffel, a yummy Strathdon Blue - quite mild - a very lovely Crowdie, a Keen's cheddar (I bought some of that, it was so sharp and delicious), a not very exciting Smoked Ardrahan, a fantastic Mimolette (the most expensive cheese in the shop at £41 per kg), a yummy Taleggio and a truly disgusting goat cheese I can't remember the name of. I'm a bit funny about goats' cheese - sometimes I like it, but if I'm hormonal my sense of smell goes into overdrive and then I go right off it and it makes me nauseous. I don't think my reaction was anything to do with hormones though - it was just vile. Really grassy and goaty - most people were pulling faces at it. I also tried some Stinking Bishop and it's one of the most unpleasant things I've ever had in my mouth - and I've eaten durian. They had nice Stilton, a very bizarre Lancashire and well, loads of others.

The Mimolette was absolutely yummy. It's bright orange and shaped to look like a skull and I made everyone either laugh or look at me like I'm an uncultured peasant by saying it would go really well in cheesey beans on toast. It would though, and the cheesemonger guy agreed with me.

I only bought Mimolette and Keen cheddar but I might go back for some Criffel.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: I went to a cheese-tasting tonight
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:29:27 pm »
Wow, that sounds great. I'd love to try Stinking Bishop, but maybe not, after your report!

I love most cheeses, I haven't come across many I couldn't eat - but they must be out there. it sound slike fun, anyway.

What were the other Spice girls and boys like?

« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:35:57 pm »
Stinking Bishop is a great cheese. Creamy and mild, although the pong is quite strong!
I always like going into cheese shops - visiting does tend to be expensive though!

Emma
California Dreaming

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:37:41 pm »

What were the other Spice girls and boys like?
Nice. I met a woman who works for a different council department, so we had a whinge about stuff. We shared our pain.

« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:42:02 pm »
Perfect! It's a good idea, gets you doing stuff you'd never do otherwise. I started a French class last night and I'm all hyped about it - it's just fun to meet people and do different things.

« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:43:13 pm »
Stinking Bishop is a great cheese. Creamy and mild, although the pong is quite strong!
I always like going into cheese shops - visiting does tend to be expensive though!

Emma

Stinking Bishop is a very nice cheese, but most people are put off by the smell.  The bloke who makes it (Charles Martell) is a brilliant cheesemaker - he is best known for Stinking Bishop due to that cartoon - and IMO stinking bishop is a novelty compared to his other cheeses.  His Berkeley and Gloucester cheeses are exceptionally good. 

Can you tell I used to own a cheese and wine shop?  ??? ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:49:55 pm »
Perfect! It's a good idea, gets you doing stuff you'd never do otherwise. I started a French class last night and I'm all hyped about it - it's just fun to meet people and do different things.

Well, yes, my life had got very boring and I've reached an age where most of my friends are married. I only have one single friend left now, and we both felt we needed to go and do stuff instead of rotting on our sofas. My dad was in Spice Yorkshire for years and a mate of his used to run it, and I'd been on quite a few of their events when I was at home and always had a good time, so it seemed like a good plan. I'm doing silver jewellery making on Tuesdays and yoga on Wednesdays too.

I hated the Stinking Bishop. I didn't think the smell was bad, but the taste was awful.

« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:54:04 pm »
Wow, you must be glad to get back to the sofa by Thursday!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:58:21 pm »
That sounds great. I went to a wine tasting myself. There was precious little cheese and far too much wine. I'll tell you about it in the morning.   ;D If I can remember it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:41:54 am »
Quote from: Kirst
Really grassy and goaty
Mmmmm....goats :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:50:14 am »

Stinking Bishop is a very nice cheese, but most people are put off by the smell. 

It's local to where Mrs MV works

The smell comes fro the rind.  They dip it in cider (or somesuch) and let it go manky.  The inside is quite mild.

edit:

The cheese is similar to the famous French Epoisses which has been banned from the public transport system in Paris.

;D
The cheese takes its name from the variety of pear used to make the washing solution. Stinking Bishop pears are one of over 100 varieties which are grown on the Gloucestershire-Herefordshire border. During the cheese-making process the curds are washed in perry before being ladled into moulds.

The Teddington Cheese description of Stinking Bishop

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2008, 11:24:08 am »
If you like a strong cheddary thing I love Lincolnshire Poacher.

Inside a Mellis shop is about my favourite place int he world - the smell is fabulous! During the 6 Nations we quite often just buy a load of cheese, some sourdough, oatcakes and a bottle of red and settle down in front of the telly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #12 on: 10 October, 2008, 11:54:34 am »
I used to work in Victoria Street, and the last day I worked before Christmas, I'd go in at lunchtime (to the shop, obviously I'd been at work since the crack of dawn) and buy bits of half a dozen different cheeses for my dad's Christmas present. I'd take them back to work and shove the bag under my desk, where the cheese would start to warm up. By the end of the day, half the office would have been up to tell me to take the stuff home cos it was stinking the place out and the other half would have been up asking me to cut them a bit!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #13 on: 10 October, 2008, 07:00:47 pm »
My ex-flat mate (and ex-sister in law - a long story but just say, don't let little brother move into spare room) used to work in the Victoria St shop and would often take home cheeses that would stink out the whole flat.  I remember a mature Lancashire that had 'lactic tones' that were very similar to the smell of baby sick  :sick:

However, I used to love the Keens or Montgomery cheddar on toast  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 10 October, 2008, 08:39:18 pm »
Lovely!  Sounds great Kirst   :P

Despite trying and succeeding to lose some podge I have a fridge full of Gouda from last weeks trip to Amschterdam with Jaded and Rollo.  I'm trying to not think about the imminent arrival of this years Vacherin du Mont d'Or.  :'(

goatpebble

« Reply #15 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:12:34 pm »
Quote from: Kirst
Really grassy and goaty
Mmmmm....goats :P

'grassy and goaty'

yep, and that is why I am called Goatpebble.

I make fresh cheeses, whenever I can, using goat's milk. And Yoghurt as well.

Today the goat bit me, quite hard. She needs to get accustomed to being milked.

I think this will be a long journey...

ps. learn stuff on someone else's goat. They are bigger and stronger than you think.

Greek goats are just fine, but English goats are from hell.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:25:16 pm »
I'd love some goats.
And geese.
And pigs.
Sigh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

goatpebble

« Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2008, 10:01:33 pm »
I think I will give up on this.

Has any one else tried chasing an angry goat?

First day she was sort of agreeable, and then...

I successfully milked a goat, on a small Greek island. She was also good company, a bit like an intelligent cat or dog. She sat with me on the terrace while I had a beer, and sort of made conversation.

I don't have many friends, so I have to talk to animals.