Author Topic: Lost cat  (Read 4895 times)

Lost cat
« on: 19 April, 2023, 11:07:48 am »
During 2018 we adopted a cat in France, or rather it adopted us:

Normally we left cats to their own devices but it was clear this one had been abandoned too early.  He'd been dependent on an elderly woman for food, but she was not well and during the summer he got thinner and thinner and started following us until our resistance crumbled.

By the time we sold our place he was in the UK where he has been ever since. During the last winter he spent most of his time indoors, and is not a hunting cat.

Recently another cat has appeared in our street that is much larger and aggressive; it attacked our cat as he was entering the cat flap and I had to shoo it away. He became very  afraid of it, then last Thursday we went out shopping, having just fed him.  We thought he'd be there when we returned after a couple of hours but he wasn't and we have not seen him since. 

We've canvassed near neighbours and some have seen him but not recently.  We also put fliers through letter-boxes and posters on lamp posts. A picture has been posted on a local facebook group and we've told the vet.  His microchip details have been updated to 'lost'.

Any suggestions for further action welcome.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Re: Lost cat
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2023, 11:43:05 am »
Are you in York? If you are, there is a lost cats group on there that is particularly good.

Leave some water and food outdoors, not near the catflap. If your cat is scared of coming inside (due to attack at catflap), then he will need food and water, particularly if he isn't a hunting cat.

Oh, and go looking for him at night, with a torch. Often scared cats will cower under things (bush, rubbish). Won't come out if you call, but it is easy to spot light reflecting in their eyes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2023, 11:49:52 am »
I have heard that putting things out that smell familiar is good. Like old clothes, or bedding.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2023, 04:11:46 pm »
The cat lovers nightmare! Mme is so afraid of our cats being attacked (and run over but principally attacked) that she won't even contemplate letting them run "free". Harnesses and leads when we are outside on the terrace during summer evenings only!

No advice to give but all our sympathy (for you and for the matou!)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2023, 08:04:10 pm »
Last time Ninkasi we meant missing for a couple of nights (in really horrible weather) we were on the cusp of hiring an IR camera to search for her when she appeared. Dog knows where she'd been.

All fingers and paws crossed here for his return soon.

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2023, 08:33:55 pm »
Put some litter from his litter tray outside near the door.
Ask neighbours to check sheds etc.
Is there a school nearby and can you contact the caretaker?  It has been school hols so he may have got shut in and not have been noticed.

More advice here
https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-advice/lost-found-and-feral-cats/lost-a-cat

Really hope he turns up soon.

« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2023, 08:33:05 am »
Thank everyone. Still not a trace although we have done quite a lot of walking round places he might visit.
Going to try the litter tray idea next.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2023, 06:52:26 pm »
Could well be in someone else's shed,/garage/house. Heard quite a few tales of people putting their cat flaps to 'in only' before they go on holiday and other people's cats getting stuck in there. Hopefully home soon.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2023, 11:59:18 am »
One of ours went walkabout for a week only to just reappear one day, tired and hungry. It's not uncommon, AIUI, so let's hope yours comes back soon.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2023, 12:03:15 pm »
When I had three boy cats, one of them disappeared and was gone for around five months.
When he eventually came back at 5.00 am one morning, he had a lady cat with him.
The other two were having none of it/her.

« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2023, 12:27:29 pm »
There was a series of Catwatch programs on the BBC where they equipped a villages cat population with GPS trackers. I think the conclusion they came to was that neutered cats rarely went more than about 150 metres from their home territory. So unless the new cat has really spooked him there's a good chance that yours is still somewhere within that kind of radius (maybe trapped).

Of course given how well it went last time he may well have just adopted a new family (Catwatch found a few examples of that as well)

Good luck with finding him.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2023, 03:12:14 pm »
We think it's most likely he has found a new home after being scared by another cat that appeared in the neighbourhood.  He is neutered but we know he could travel well over 150m from home.  I leafletted houses over a wide area asking people to check garages and sheds, so I trust he won't have got trapped.  If he has found a new home, I guess he likes it, as he is very particular!

All the main vets have been informed, but what has surprised me is that his French chip number did not seem to be discoverable by UK agencies.  I was given the impression at nearly all the nearby vets (or their receptionists, anyway) that a French chip would be discoverable. Then one told me to make sure, and I found it was not.  It is now however, as I have registered him with petlog.org.uk, managed by the Kennel Club, and recorded him as missing. They offer a service where a 'missing' notice is broadcast in a radius of 30 miles. 

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2023, 03:54:22 pm »
Fingers crossed that he turns up.

Really feel for you.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2023, 04:21:46 pm »
Fingers crossed here too.  One of my son's cats went missing for well over a week earlier this year, but finally made it home, somewhat the worse for wear but he's all fixed up now and going out again, so son is waiting for the other shoe to drop.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14 on: 25 April, 2023, 06:48:34 pm »
One of ours was missing for several weeks and then just turned up.   Fingers crossed that he gets home safe & well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2023, 07:45:17 pm »
WaaaHeyy!

He’s back!!!

Thin as a rake and rather wobbly but happy as a dog with two tails. We put his blanket out recently as suggested and I reckon he picked up the scent and found his way back.

Thanks again everyone.

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2023, 07:48:38 pm »
What a relief, very good news.

« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2023, 07:51:08 pm »
Whoopeedoo!
 :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2023, 07:57:41 pm »
Yay! \o/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2023, 08:00:01 pm »
Yay! Extra treats and cuddles and what not :D

If he's super thin and been shut in somewhere he may not have eaten all that time, might be worth a chat to your vet.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #20 on: 26 April, 2023, 08:13:31 pm »
WooHoo !  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #21 on: 26 April, 2023, 08:19:20 pm »
Great news. Hope he is OK and stays home for a while!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #22 on: 26 April, 2023, 11:22:59 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Pen Pusher

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 27 April, 2023, 12:05:25 am »
 :'(

Why isn't there an emoji with tears, but smiling?

Yay!
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #24 on: 27 April, 2023, 09:10:29 am »
😂