Author Topic: Bikepacking Bags - what's your favourite/hated and why?  (Read 1815 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Bikepacking Bags - what's your favourite/hated and why?
« Reply #25 on: 01 May, 2024, 11:53:02 am »
For many years I have used a toe strap to apply one brake when the bike is on a train (wheels on floor, so many commuter/short distance trains). It gives a massive reassurance that you can go and sit down knowing it won't be careering all over the place. The tandem neatly avoids this by having a "parking brake" is a third brake controlled by a bar end gear shifter.

« Reply #26 on: 01 May, 2024, 12:44:06 pm »
I sometimes take a hooked bungy cord with me to keep the bike in place on trains

« Reply #27 on: 01 May, 2024, 04:42:37 pm »
If by Rixen and Kaul bracket you mean the bar-bag bracket, as used by almost every conventional bar bag nowadays, then I agree. It's an abomination, placing the weight way too far off the front, with adverse effects on both handling and bounceability.

Yes, that’s the one. A flat plate held onto the bag by four rivets. The handlebar fitting involves screws into plastic.
I do tend to use my bar bag as my “keep it with me” bag, if I’m wandering off to look at things or go into shops, sit on trains etc.

« Reply #28 on: 20 May, 2024, 01:33:45 pm »

I've just got a Tailfin to try it out. Normally I don't like roll tops as I think they are a pain to access and not necessary, but I thought I'd try it as lots of people rave about them. Not used it yet.

Hey Frank - just wondered if you have gotten round to trying the Tailfin yet? I am swaying rapidly toward their set up - I particularly like the idea of the carbon rack with the option to add panniers as and when I need them. The entire packing set up with rack, tail pack, panniers and frame etc is eyewatering, but it seems like such a smart set up. It will be really interesting to hear your opinion on them and whether they are worth the vast quantities of money.
Does not play well with others

« Reply #29 on: 20 May, 2024, 04:19:49 pm »
I recently got back from a bike packing event in the Netherlands and there were a plethora of set ups. Tailfin featured very heavily indeed. Aside from the seat packs, lots of tailfin frame bags too.
The only negative I heard about the tailfin seat pack was chatting to one rider who said his bike felt unstable descending at speed. To be fair that could have been more about his bike geo.
Personally Im not a fan of under seat roll bags (windsock type affairs) and favour a Carradice type seat bag on a frame.
I use this one.
https://builtbyswift.com/shop/zeitgeist-pack/

Ive had some revelate frame bags for quite a few years that have had a hard life and they are still in great shape. Overbuilt zips etc. They are really well constructed. it's a shame they are only black or battleship grey.

I have a sunlite trunk bag that I like to use a lot too. It's got fold away side pockets and a bungee to stash stuff on the top. It's easily taken on and off pannier frame with velcro. It's not very water resistant.
I have an arkel trunk bag too thats  similar very neat but find its too small for most of my trips.

I use front panniers over rear generally as the bike feels really stable that way.

By far my favourite bag right now is a Gramm diamond bag. It needs a front rack though. It's a really neat bit of kit, very compact but big enough to stash a fair bit of stuff. There is even a rear portal for wires to stash electrical gear. I actually switched out our big Rando bags that were pretty cumbersome for these bags as they are so good.
Gramm made me some custom bags for my gravel bike too which are fabulous.
image of the bags here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CqGMOmTOynL/?img_index=1

If you are touring heavy,  and have the toe clearance, the old ortlieb roll top panniers are great.
We used to and like the ortlieb bar bags as well with the click fix attachment (a bit fiddly) but TBH with the Gramm diamond bags I can't see ever fitting them again. The later versions with magnets for closing the lid are pretty cool.
often lost.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #30 on: 20 May, 2024, 04:24:02 pm »
I like the ones going secondhand on ebay - don't do enough touring to make it worth spending a lot of money. Picked up some very cheap Carradice front panniers there which will be tested next month.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 09:24:47 am »

I've just got a Tailfin to try it out. Normally I don't like roll tops as I think they are a pain to access and not necessary, but I thought I'd try it as lots of people rave about them. Not used it yet.

Hey Frank - just wondered if you have gotten round to trying the Tailfin yet? I am swaying rapidly toward their set up - I particularly like the idea of the carbon rack with the option to add panniers as and when I need them. The entire packing set up with rack, tail pack, panniers and frame etc is eyewatering, but it seems like such a smart set up. It will be really interesting to hear your opinion on them and whether they are worth the vast quantities of money.

No, not yet - sorry!  I had to cancel my planned trip a couple of weeks ago so will take me a bit longer to give them a proper try out.

If you search there is a good thread on here where lots of people who have used them give their opinions.  Tl;dr is
- lots of people who know what they are talking about like them a lot. 
- But some have reservations, mainly around the accessibility of roll-top luggage and surprisingly poor light fitting options. 
- However I don't think I have seen anyone say they are not in principle a good way to carry luggage, or that they are not good aerodynamically. 

« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 09:27:06 am »
The only negative I heard about the tailfin seat pack was chatting to one rider who said his bike felt unstable descending at speed.

Interesting.  My planned trip was going to include Ventoux so I would have been able to give an opinion on that, if I'd gone!

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 11:08:33 pm »

If you search there is a good thread on here where lots of people who have used them give their opinions.  Tl;dr is
- lots of people who know what they are talking about like them a lot. 
- But some have reservations, mainly around the accessibility of roll-top luggage and surprisingly poor light fitting options. 
- However I don't think I have seen anyone say they are not in principle a good way to carry luggage, or that they are not good aerodynamically.

I like to think I know what I'm talking about  ;)
I do have issues with the accessibility of the rack-pack when I'm using it for day rides. Undo 3 straps and then roll the top back ? No, it's rubbish. Tailfin dismissed my objections/suggestions.
As for the light attachments........... Tailffin staff do their own thing, a complete admission (IMO) that their light fitting options are crap.

The only negative I heard about the tailfin seat pack was chatting to one rider who said his bike felt unstable descending at speed.

My bike felt unstable on the ride last weekend. I put it down to the bike being rather "tail heavy" with most of the weight on the rack.
I hope to correct that before my tour in July.