Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126579 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Dunno Bas. Are you going to tell us? Or do I have to sully my computer looking at fupbol fixtures?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Sorry, I shouldn't have posted that.  Im not really into football, as you know.  I sometimes make the mistake of posting something and then regretting it as I don't have the knowledge to comment further.

My FiL and BiL are lifelong dedicated HardlyPoo Untied fans.  It's always been my wish that they one day draw a big midland club, like Apron Vanilla or someone, in a cup competition, so that I could get tickets for us all and have a good bonding w/e while we celebrate losing less than ten nil.

The draw against a top club finally happened.  Well nearly.  They've drawn Bourmouth.  Who to my surprise are indeed a premiership outfit.  But probably not what they had in mind.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Bournemouth? Or Barmouth??  :o

Basil

• Help me!
Bugger.
Yes, Bournemouth.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Bugger.
Yes, Bournemouth.

No, that was Bognor.

Basil

• Help me!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I have just checked and I have to concur. There, indeed, is Bournemouth in the Premiership! The top three looked pretty unusual as well (Leicester, Crystal Palace, West Ham) until I noticed that a different colour blue at the very top was reserved for Manchester City.

Wouldn't it be a refreshing change if Leicester, Crystal Palace and West Ham were battling it out for the championship* at the end of the season?

*OK, I know that down to some misnomer the second division is now called the "Championship", but that is just silly.

I watched the whole of the GAA (Gaelic football)  final on Sky today. Fantastic,  fast moving game played in torrential rain , which made handling the ball tricky but also added to the spectacle.
I have never fully understood the rules of the game , still don't , but what a match.
Dublin beat Kerry.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
I shall be slightly less befuddled should I ever see another cricket match: cricket umpire signals explained.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
I'm watching* a football match between two Ukrainian clubs (Dynamo vs. Shakhtar).  One commentator is speaking in Ukrainian, the other in Russian.  If you hear a loud noise coming from the direction of East London that will be my head exploding.

* I'm multi-tasking at present, so mostly just listening.

Well done ,Boro.

Excellent!

Basil

• Help me!
Well, well.  So Hardlypoo Untied won their cup tie today.  Much joy in the town.
But hold.  Radio Five are talking of the draw for round two.   Consternation spreads through the evening streets.   "What is this Fa Cup round two of which they speak?  Have we not just won the FA Cup tie?  Are they saying we must play again?"

;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Southend Untied have successfully avoided the second round draw after a visit to Scunthorpe.

Basil

• Help me!
Southend Untied have successfully avoided the second round draw after a visit to Scunthorpe.

Aka "We're concentrating on the League"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Easton Cowboys 0:1 Ashley
Bansky was not playing. At least, as far as I know.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I just looked at the Premiership table for the first time for several weeks.

Leicester City? Really? That is quite amusing.

Not in ****ing Newcastle it isn't.  Absolutely not!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I bet you'd have settled for Newcastle being only two places below Chelsea at this stage of the season.

Sure.  Crazy thing is we drew with both Chelsea and Manchester United early on.  We soon came to realise that most people actually beat Chelsea!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
For comedy value, Chelsea 0 - 1 Bournemouth takes a bit of beating.  ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
For comedy value, Chelsea 0 - 1 Bournemouth takes a bit of beating.  ;D

Because they're both associated with pensioners?

One of the papers today reported that the chosen one was  desperate to narrow the gap between Chelsea and the top four.
On the basis of tonight's match they should be more worried about the distance between themselves and the bottom of the table.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
One of the papers today reported that the chosen one was  desperate to narrow the gap between Chelsea and the top four.
On the basis of tonight's match they should be more worried about the distance between themselves and the bottom of the table.

How splendid! Did anyone we know, perchance, put £5 on Leicester to win the league when they were 2000-1 outsiders? Sadly, I didn't. Long way to go, of course, but it is so refreshing to see the mega-clubs, with all their wealth and arrogance, being humbled by an "ordinary" side.