Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126557 times)

Darlo have been having some good results:

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/fixtures-results/

(take note of October the 15th, Nuncio and Salvatore ;D)

The Cubs win the World Series for the first time in 108 years!. One of the best games of baseball I've ever seen.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I find it quite astonishing how the US continues to dominate world baseball.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Even in 1887, the sports press were prone to hyperbole and the name stuck around.
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~rickert/BB/wsname.html

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Legia Warszawa drawing 3-3 with Real in any empty stadium deserves some kind of  :o and possibly a bit of  :D. We'll see what happens in the Bernabeu though!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I find it quite astonishing how the US continues to dominate world baseball.

Be fair, Wowsa.  The Toronto Blue Jays have won the World Series at least once.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I became aware last week that the World Chess Championship final is taking place in New York, between Carlsen and Karjakin. There have been three games so far, all drawn.

For the first game, defending champion Carlsen chose the Trompovski Attack, an unusual opening at this level. Interviewed afterwards, he said that it was because he is a great admirer of Donald Trump. Meanwhile, Karjakin (who sounds to me like a character from Grand Theft Auto) is a Putin fan*.

The human brain is a curious organ. At once, these two brain-owners can develop theirs to pretty much the highest level possible, whilst remaining remarkably stupid.

*Of course, he would be stupid to say anything different, given that he's Russian. Carlsen, being a Norwegian, has a choice.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Wowbagger's account has been hacked! The chess talk is convincing but the real Wowbagger would never have heard of Grand Theft Auto.  :o ::-) :D :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Wowbagger's account has been hacked! The chess talk is convincing but the real Wowbagger would never have heard of Grand Theft Auto.  :o ::-) :D :o

Au contraire, I have sons who play computer games. My younger son used to do this A Lot. Unreal Tournament was his forte (he got to a double-figure placement in the World Rankings at one time) but I think he used to play GTA for light relief.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
For those who enjoy American Football but don't have the ridiculously expensive Sky Sports packages to watch it, Sky are doing their occasional thing of putting a free game on Freeview this Thursday for Thanksgiving - Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions, Pick TV, 5:30pm.

Should be a good game that one. Detroit are playing better than they have for many years. Minnesota should have walked away with the NFC North by now based on how poorly (my team) the Packers are playing but with several serious injuries (not least to the starting quarterback before the season started) they have struggled. So for once I'm rooting for the Lions having given up all hope the Packers will make the Play-offs
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Yeah I'm a Packers fan too and I've given up as well. My only saving grace is that my best mate is a Bears fan, so I can still give him a ribbing  :demon:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Bah!  I'll make all of you American football fans feel great with only a few keystrokes:  I'm a Browns fan, born and bred.  :facepalm:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Woof woof!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Bah!  I'll make all of you American football fans feel great with only a few keystrokes:  I'm a Browns fan, born and bred.  :facepalm:

That's great. I'm cheering for the Browns every time they appear on Sky's Redzone. Has anyone ever had 0-16?

What's the opposite of a perfect season called?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
I'd still call 0-16 a 'perfect' season as it's unblemished by a win.  ;D

I guess it's just balancing out the Cavaliers and Indians.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow

I'm so sorry.

:demon:

Small consolation but it's not even like the Browns are playing like a 0-11 team, as far as I've seen. They just seem to be suffering a lot of bad luck.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
The Cubs win the World Series for the first time in 108 years!. One of the best games of baseball I've ever seen.

I saw a Minnesota Twins game where nobody scored a run for 6 innings.

To be honest Baseball and (American) Football struck me as vast participation eating events where, very occasionally, there was 5 seconds of frantic action.

Cricket gets a bad rap from the Americans but it's genuinely no slower or duller.  Watching Baseball and Football on UK TV shields you from the incessant commercial breaks which put the live game on hold, until the umpire gets a "Go" from the TV director.  It's unbearable.

Local Baseball (Rochester Aces in my case) is much better.  It's not televised so they are allowed to keep playing without waiting 3 minutes for the commercials to end.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Watching Baseball and Football on UK TV shields you from the incessant commercial breaks which put the live game on hold, until the umpire gets a "Go" from the TV director.  It's unbearable.

Agreed, and far too much time for those bloody "Mexican" waves.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
  Watching Baseball and Football on UK TV shields you from the incessant commercial breaks which put the live game on hold, until the umpire gets a "Go" from the TV director.  It's unbearable.

Agreed, and far too much time for those bloody "Mexican" waves.

Never mind! Donald Trump will put a stop to those.

I have tried watching baseball but do struggle. Which is odd because I enjoy the pace of a cricket match.

Having been to Wembley for the NFL for the past three years I find the TV interuptions go pretty much unnoticed. There's a smoothness to it that is not seen on TV in the UK because it goes to the studio and you get three minutes of talking heads. Three minutes is fairly extreme, I think in NFL they have got a fine art of chucking in a single advert during each game break (and they are less often than most non-fans realise). For the longer breaks - between quarters and two minute warnings etc they send a band or a troop of cheerleaders on to entertain. It's a good day out.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/carlsen-karjakin-world-chess-championship-2016/1/1/8

After 7 consecutive draws, Karjakin won the 8th game with black.

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/carlsen-karjakin-world-chess-championship-2016/1/1/8

The 9th was also drawn, so Carlsen is in serious trouble. He has three more games in which to get back into this.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
THe Kibitzers reckon this one is going to be drawn. At time of this post, White (Carlsen) had just played 51 f3.

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/carlsen-karjakin-world-chess-championship-2016/1/1/10

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Blimey! Carlsen managed to convert that to a win! Well done him! 1 - 1, 2 games to go.

Annoyingly, if they finish the first 12 games with the scores level, remaining games are at a much faster time limit.

https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/regulations_match_2016.pdf refers.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I have tried watching baseball but do struggle. Which is odd because I enjoy the pace of a cricket match.
What are your feelings about chess?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles