Author Topic: BaseCamp and MapSource  (Read 3569 times)

BaseCamp and MapSource
« on: 19 January, 2012, 09:04:00 pm »
Is BaseCamp the new version of MapSource or are they completely different?  It ought to be obvious from the Garmin documentation, but it isn't to a new user :)  As far as I can see both can be used to display and edit routes etc.

--
Bryn

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: BaseCamp and MapSource
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:48:19 pm »
Basically, yes.
Mapsource is no longer being updated, and 6.16.3 is the last release to the best of my knowledge.

BaseCamp also lets you look at maps which you have bought on SD cards and exist only as IMG files within the device, which Mapsource will not.

Personally, I find basecamp counter-intuitave, and I can't find any of the features I require.   So I continue to use Mapsource.

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »
BaseCamp also lets you look at maps which you have bought on SD cards and exist only as IMG files within the device,

Hmmm, BaseCamp won't let me look at the freeware UK 50000 lookalike map which I have on my Etrex30.  This is an IMG file, downloaded rather than on SD,  and the import function doesn't allow IMG as one of its recognised file designators.

Any ideas?

--
Bryn

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »
In basecamp, you don't 'import' it.

BaseCamp will search attached USB devices ( GPS units or memory cards / sticks ) and look for \garmin\gmapsupp.img files on them.

These will appear in the left-hand pane, below the 'Library' section.   A new section will appear, called 'devices', and the mapset will appear under the device (GPS or memory card / stick ) name.

It should then be selectable in the drop-down box on the menu bar (mouse-over tip = 'select a map product to display' ).

« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2012, 11:06:12 pm »
OK, I now see the Etrex has to be attached for anything to show up in BaseCamp.

Unfortunately the detailed UK map doesn't appear in the list.  All I see under Etrex30 is a folder called All Data and a map symbol called OSM World Routable; the menu bar drop down box gives me an option of Global Map (the original Garmin Map-of-the-World) or OSM World Routable.  The two maps are almost identical; very major roads only, except the OSM seems to have railways on it.

Here are the exact titles of .IMG files in the Garmin folder:

090109-UK-GMAPSUPP.IMG     the original Garmin map, about 55MB
11230-British-Isles+Contours-OS50tt-GMAPSUPP.IMG      the new talkytoaster OS lookalike map about 500MB
mysterymap.IMG    actually the OSM World Routable got downloaded and renamed by user blunder(s) 4MB
gmaptz.IMG       original Garmin file  about 400kB
gmapbmap.IMG    original Garmin file about 55MB

Aaaah, since draughting the above I've had another look at TalkyToaster and found a separate set of maps to use with a PC and BaseCamp, and warnings about the need to install mapTk.   Clearly more research is required.......I may be some time.....

--
Bryn

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »
For getting OSM maps in MapSource/ BaseCamp, its probably easiest to use ones that have a proper installer. I recommend this website (and choose the option to include the Mapnik TYP file, it looks much better) : http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
It will send you a link to a MapSource installer, this will also install the maps in BaseCamp.

Also in BaseCamp, make sure you have not selected the option for "Basic Map Only" (on the view menu).