Author Topic: Rim width vs tyre width  (Read 2382 times)

Rim width vs tyre width
« on: 08 March, 2020, 08:16:49 pm »
My bike came with 700x37mm cx style tyres.  I've had 32mm vittoria Voyager hypersensitivity up to 38mm schwalbe marathon plus tyres. One local bike shop thought the rim wouldn't take anything less than 700x 32mm. I'm looking at 28mm marathons.

I've been googling this and I'm seeing opposing views on this. One site had rims from 17 to 25 (4 rim ranges such as 17 to 29, etc) coping with 28 to 38c tyres. Another site kind of split tyre / rim combinations based on iirc 20 to 32c tyres on one typical rim range then 32 to 38 on another then 38 above another in inches though as more MTB rims.

So what's your view on tyre width on a bike specced with 35 to 38mm tyres? Could I get away with 28mm marathon plus or marathon racers/ supremes?

Btw another site on tyres did a test on 32mm to 47mm marathon plus tyres under standard conditions between the widths. It seems the optimum width for rolling resistance was 37mm. The narrower 32mm had a different feel to it with stiffer carcass and looked like it was made with a different formula as a result it had a rolling resistance greater than the next size up 37mm.

So even if I could fit 28mm is it even worth it?

Basically I'm looking for a few good tyres for different uses/ times of year. Basically good,  durable,  allround tyre in winter bomb proof but still rolling well,  the same in a lighter,  summer tyre and finally a  gravel type tyre for when I hit MTB trail centres with my son (7yo so never serious MTB routes hence my so it all bike copes well).

The bike came with a cx tyre that imho rides between three 38mm marathon plus and the Vittoria Voyager hypers in 32mm. It's ok if a little slippy on mud. Plus it's got perishing side walls with cracks appearing. I'm thinking of a more nobbly 35 or possibly 38mm with my guards removed. Then I just need the other tyres. I've got marathon plus in 35 or 37/38mm. No sign of use  after a year plus. The hypers are basically goosed I think. Certainly started to get too many punctures. Went two years without any then more than 2 in a month. Perhaps the marathons might be worth using as winter commuters. Leaving summer and off road tyres to choose. Or just get brand new,  better options for all three uses. Can't decide and don't know what's worth getting neither.

Phil W

Re: Rim width vs tyre width
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2020, 08:33:03 pm »
Scroll down and you’ll find what you want

https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2020, 08:50:27 pm »
i've read the post but couldn't understand what is the question?..

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2020, 08:51:31 pm »
Saw that plus a few others that had different mixes of rim width and tyre width combinations. Is sheldon the one to trust even if the other sites seem more generous with the combinations?

« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2020, 08:57:50 pm »
i've read the post but couldn't understand what is the question?..
TL:DR
Bike specced with 37mm cx tyres as best for bike use and rims. Would 28mm tyres be ok? Suspect the commonly found 19mm internal rims found on gravel or more comfort orientated bikes

What tyres better than 37/38mm marathon plus fur winter commuting? What's better than hypers for summer use? What's best for off road use?

Sorry I ramble and it originally only started as a rim tyre option.

« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2020, 09:09:55 pm »
28s would be fine on 19mm internal rims, but you probably should choose the tyre to suit rather than the width first.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2020, 09:32:17 pm »
21mm internally wide rim will suit most tyres - from 25mm to 55mm. 19mm rim is more suited for narrower road tyres (23-28mm).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2020, 10:02:13 pm »
I don't really understand the question either

I've run 35mm tyres on 14mm rims and 30mm tyres on 35mm rims

And various combinations with different levels of sanity

Pick a tyre and try it.  Clinchers seem quite forgiving.  The sheldon brown table seems over cautious

Tubeless is a different story

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2020, 11:15:18 pm »
I can recommend the Schwalbe G-One All Round is a very good "all round" tyre, which will be a revelation in comparison to the Marathon Plus and Vittoria Hypers you've been running with respect to speed and comfort, albeit with some reduction in puncture protection.  Also there's the venerable Marathon Greenguard which I think fits nicely as a compromise between the Marathon Plus and Vittoria Hyper and I would also add the Continental Double Fighter as an option for more gravelly off-road duties.  All available in 700cx35 and not too expensive.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2020, 12:31:40 am »
Schwalbe marathon supreme HS469 in 37-622. They'll come up nearer 35mm on a 17C rim, so  a bit wider on your rims. 

I think they'll do as a good tyre for all year round road use.

cheer

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:57:07 am »
First check what the rims actually are. ie make/model, and look up the dimensions. No point guessing

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2020, 07:48:39 am »
I can recommend the Schwalbe G-One All Round is a very good "all round" tyre, which will be a revelation in comparison to the Marathon Plus ...

Any tire would be a comfort / speed / grip revelation compared to a Marathon Plus

Agree with Brucey that Marathon Supreme are fab

« Reply #12 on: 10 March, 2020, 09:19:27 am »
In order to answer your question we need to know the rim width (internal).

« Reply #13 on: 10 March, 2020, 11:57:44 am »
I had a CAADX spec'd with 35mm cross tyres. Also ran them with 28mm Conti GP 4K and 38mm Voyager Hypers. Finally settled on 32mm Gators, which were surprisingly comfortable. No problems at all, but no idea what the rim width was.