Author Topic: Full Sugar FizzyPops  (Read 4325 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Full Sugar FizzyPops
« on: 11 November, 2019, 12:29:02 pm »
I thought it would be bad form to derail the Christmas beer thread with non beer beverages but I was bitterly disappointed that the San Pellegrino pop I'd bought to accompany our Christmas dinner last year had been reformulated to miss the Sugar Tax.

What full sugar fruit fizz can the panel recommend to us for this year?

We don't like beer, we only drink fizz occasionally and I just want something NICE for Christmas. Price isn't too critical; our Christmas will be low/no alcohol.

rr

Re: Full Sugar FizzyPops
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:48:33 pm »
No help, but the new San Pellegrino really is foul.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:05:13 pm »
No help, but the new San Pellegrino really is foul.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

That is my point!

I wanted a treat for Christmas!  :'(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:20:49 pm »
I had some of the Bees Knees the other day and it wasn’t too bad.     We also had the Freixenet Rosado Alcohol Free which was nicer. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:41:46 pm »
I quite like the Fentiman's colas and D&B.
And Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Not sure if they've been Aspartame'ed, but I'm not overly bothered about that unless I'm on the bike which is the only time I activley choose to drink sugar anyway.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:12:22 pm »
A friend of mine has compiled this list of drinks which are sweetener free and where they're usually findable: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OmZq9Ul5AFUAsIjX9G8IsMIsNGwU9Q8P4kcKe6T74YE/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=103828502866583830661

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:16:46 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:47:33 pm »
Barakta's friend's list is useful.

Seeing Belvoir on it reminded me that elderflower* is a wonderful flavour; I think that it's best if not excessively sweet.

How about mixing your own from cordial and fizzy water?

I, too, find artificial sweeteners utterly vile.

*the only flavour I've ever had from that company.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2019, 05:01:04 pm »
Some shops manage to get their hands on export market Irn-Bru; but you've got to be quic kto avoid the stampede once it's announced.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2019, 05:13:50 pm »
Sounds good but Irn Bru is not the taste I want with my Christmas meal!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:56:56 pm »
Sounds good but Irn Bru is not the taste I want with my Christmas meal!

Don't know why, it goes perfect with kilted sausages and chips...  :P

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:11:55 pm »
I suppose it's what I fancy. Last year I really thought the San Pellegrino would be nice but got disappointed by the reformulation.

I think I'll get a sugary lemonade somehow.

For the record, I'll have you know I usually downed 2 x 750ml bottles of Diet Bru most days when I worked in Glasgow 30 years ago.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 11 November, 2019, 11:40:59 pm »
I suppose it's what I fancy. Last year I really thought the San Pellegrino would be nice but got disappointed by the reformulation.

I think I'll get a sugary lemonade somehow.

For the record, I'll have you know I usually downed 2 x 750ml bottles of Diet Bru most days when I worked in Glasgow 30 years ago.

;D

That's marginally better than the 4x2l bottles of the non-Diet stuff the locals drink a day before moving onto the Buckfast aropund lunch time...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 11 November, 2019, 11:58:16 pm »
These were the 10p deposit glass bottles from the hospital sweetie shop.

I didn't drink much coffee or tea but needed hydration...

« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2019, 03:45:06 pm »
Second the suggestion of belvoir cordials. A bottle goes quite a long way, they offer a good range of flavours.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2019, 03:59:58 pm »
Most of the bottled "squashes" are sugar free (the sort you mix with water), although you can still get the Sainsbury's high juice orange with sugar as I understand it (I don't actually set foot in supermarkets if I can possibly help it and Mrs LJ never mows the lawn).  We are now drinking Rocks organic squash which is very good and only about 20p more than the standard Sainsbury's high juice with sugar.  I'll have to put in a request for the Belvoir one as I see from the website that Sainsbury's do that too.

« Reply #17 on: 23 November, 2019, 06:07:16 pm »
Get some rhubarb (unfortunately the season is finished so unless you froze some..............).

Cook to a mush without sugar in and with some water in the pan so it's a sloppy end result. Whilst warm, strain through a jelly bag into a bowl and add as much sugar as will dissolve. Bottle (add a bit of citric acid if not drinking within a week or so) and put in fridge.

Dilute the rhubarb cordial with 1/3 cordial, 1/3 apple juice and 1/3 sparkling water. Or, if you use a bit less sugar and dilute with just sparkling water it's quite grown up and not too sweet (people I gave some too reckoned it was good with gin).

I got the hang of this when I had a glut of rhubarb on the allotment this summer. Has the other advantage it leaves the fibres behind so is a benign way of enjoying rhubarb for those with a sensitive gut (DAMHIKT).

You could probably do this with any berry fruit- raspberries, blackberries etc- and you don't need as much as you might think, really making fruit cordial is quite easy so long as you put sugar in after straining and use enough water in cooking so the stuff strains OK.

(It must be quite simple if GC can manage it  ;D)

GC

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 23 November, 2019, 07:09:56 pm »
Thanks!
We were given some rhubarb by the recipient of something I Freegled earlier this year.
I 'cooked' it in the microwave with water and added a LOT of sugar and a Bramley apple to make a fruit stew.

I am tempted by pear cider, with or without alcohol.

« Reply #19 on: 01 December, 2019, 07:59:44 pm »
I am told that St Peters Without is one of the best and tastiest non alcoholic beers out there and maybe worth a try. described as clean, crisp, zingy citrus and biscuit. Pear cider is very pleasant,  ridiculously (too) easy to drink when chilled, refreshing on the palate and can be quite potent. Aldi and Lidl do 4 pint can packs for £1.99! so don't go mad.  :-D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #20 on: 01 December, 2019, 08:21:03 pm »
Got some of this by accident recently. Mixed with Tonic (I use diet, but would work just as well with full fat) it makes a relaly nice mohito substitute. Has loads of sugar in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robinsons-Fruit-Cordials-Crushed-Lime/dp/B0765WVYRF

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 01 December, 2019, 08:59:36 pm »
We really don't like beer in any form and I'm too lazy/disabled to want to do any mixing/dilution when we eat.

Our table space is limited. I want something we can pour out of the bottle on the table. We won't drink ourselves silly anyway. A litre between the two of us will be more than enough, so I'll probably go for the pear cider.

I'll look at the various J2O offerings but bear in mind David HATES mulled wine and the flavours therein....

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 02 December, 2019, 11:32:51 am »
I am told that St Peters Without is one of the best and tastiest non alcoholic beers out there and maybe worth a try. described as clean, crisp, zingy citrus and biscuit. Pear cider is very pleasant,  ridiculously (too) easy to drink when chilled, refreshing on the palate and can be quite potent. Aldi and Lidl do 4 pint can packs for £1.99! so don't go mad.  :-D

I quite like the 0% Koppaberg "Ciders" however for the cost of them J20 and Robinsons (Aspatameed) is just as good(/bad) for me to not be worth it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 26 December, 2020, 08:06:03 pm »
Thanks!
We were given some rhubarb by the recipient of something I Freegled earlier this year.
I 'cooked' it in the microwave with water and added a LOT of sugar and a Bramley apple to make a fruit stew.

I am tempted by pear cider, with or without alcohol.

This was what I ordered for my Christmas 2020 Stuffs. I also ordered Kopparberg AF Strawberry and Kopparberg Rhubarb.

We shared the Kopparberg Strawberry AF yesterday. D was working on a song and didn't want alcohol. This was successful.

Will tackle the others some time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 03 January, 2021, 12:33:10 am »
Had the AF pear cider with our supper.

Tasted VERY 'pear drops' (amyl acetate?) artificial. Won't do it again.