Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 379843 times)

Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1550 on: 09 August, 2017, 03:58:42 pm »
I like sausage rolls more than most things and size is surely important but even I have to declare that twelve inches of sausage is simply too much for me.

Still, we should feel blessed, if this was America they've have embedded cheese and bacon in the pastry and probably a layer of beef chilli around the sausage meat and coated the entire thing in an outer nacho crust, and kept going until it was the sort of colorific neutronium than can only be forced down with 32 fluid ounces caffeinated soda.
<sigh>
It is one thing I really miss, not eating wheat. Going and buying a greasy, unhealthy (but oh so tasty) 'baked' thing. So greasy that the paper it comes in is transparent, the ingredients are indeterminate, the pastry layered with grease and painted with extra grease and a few layers of cheap, toasted cheese. Preferably so hot that the inside burns your mouth off.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1551 on: 09 August, 2017, 04:24:10 pm »
I like sausage rolls more than most things and size is surely important but even I have to declare that twelve inches of sausage is simply too much for me.

Still, we should feel blessed, if this was America they've have embedded cheese and bacon in the pastry and probably a layer of beef chilli around the sausage meat and coated the entire thing in an outer nacho crust, and kept going until it was the sort of colorific neutronium than can only be forced down with 32 fluid ounces caffeinated soda.

That sounds amazing.

IWOOT!!1! Hell yeah!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1552 on: 09 August, 2017, 04:38:59 pm »

<sigh>
It is one thing I really miss, not eating wheat. Going and buying a greasy, unhealthy (but oh so tasty) 'baked' thing. So greasy that the paper it comes in is transparent, the ingredients are indeterminate, the pastry layered with grease and painted with extra grease and a few layers of cheap, toasted cheese. Preferably so hot that the inside burns your mouth off.
Don't - I'm trying to cut down on things like that.

Oh, the temptation!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1553 on: 10 August, 2017, 11:08:13 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-40886835/giant-pipes-wash-up-on-norfolk-beaches

This one's actually a bit too interesting, but I'm posting it here because of the excellent use of the 'Big Ben' and 'London bus' units of measurement.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1554 on: 11 August, 2017, 12:53:03 pm »

That sounds amazing.

IWOOT!!1! Hell yeah!

I've thought of a name for that.

The Dibbler.
Milk please, no sugar.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1555 on: 11 August, 2017, 03:24:36 pm »
Dirty girl!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1557 on: 29 August, 2017, 05:19:04 pm »
It's the kind of think you might expect in Tetbury not Swindon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1558 on: 29 August, 2017, 05:20:45 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-40886835/giant-pipes-wash-up-on-norfolk-beaches

This one's actually a bit too interesting, but I'm posting it here because of the excellent use of the 'Big Ben' and 'London bus' units of measurement.
So we're going to hear nothing more of these for the next four years?

(Kind of surprised a London bus is only 2.4m wide but I guess the extra 0.15 would get it stuck in traffic too often.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #1559 on: 29 August, 2017, 06:48:46 pm »

<sigh>

I haven't done it for years, but the post-pub pasty after a long session was a pleasure not to be missed. A colleague of mine used to buy two on account of it 'being a long journey' (to zone 2). I don't think there's anything healthy in an 'award winning' pasty, I suspect the contents would only be identified through DNA analysis. But biting into one and unleashing that volcanic gout of steam to broil the top of your mouth, followed by the belch of meaty aroma that you know no one sober in the carriage will appreciate. Oh my. It's the middle-class kebab. You'd wake up the following morning and burp something that smelled like an animal had died in your mouth several days before. Then you'd realise that the top of your mouth was hanging there like a dilapidated trampoline.

A series of sensations only put into context by the runaway train of an hangover slamming into your head a few moments later while your stomach started the slow aerobatic roll of protest.

I think I might sell my Big Dong to 7-11. A foot long core of sausage in a mantle of spicy beef chilli, wrapped in finest cheese and bacon pastry, rolled in nacho chips, and deep fried. And then left to mature on the rollers under a heat lamp for a week to attain perfection. The last bit is important and often overlooked. It's why the kebab is supreme, that skewer of mystery meat has been twirling like the world's saddest ballerina for weeks, not so much overturning all the rules of food hygiene as we know them but giving them the finger (refrigerate meat, pah). I haven't, I confess, been drunk enough to consummate my evening with a kebab for a couple of decades. I remember once on the top deck of the night bus home someone eating one and someone else emerging from the stairs and declaring loudly 'WHO'S FUCKING DOG DIED?" That was bonhomie N172-style.

« Reply #1560 on: 29 August, 2017, 09:08:54 pm »

That sounds amazing.

IWOOT!!1! Hell yeah!

The Dibbler.
CMOT  ;)
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1562 on: 30 August, 2017, 08:56:27 am »

<sigh>

I haven't done it for years, but the post-pub pasty after a long session was a pleasure not to be missed. A colleague of mine used to buy two on account of it 'being a long journey' (to zone 2). I don't think there's anything healthy in an 'award winning' pasty, I suspect the contents would only be identified through DNA analysis. But biting into one and unleashing that volcanic gout of steam to broil the top of your mouth, followed by the belch of meaty aroma that you know no one sober in the carriage will appreciate. Oh my. It's the middle-class kebab. You'd wake up the following morning and burp something that smelled like an animal had died in your mouth several days before. Then you'd realise that the top of your mouth was hanging there like a dilapidated trampoline.

A series of sensations only put into context by the runaway train of an hangover slamming into your head a few moments later while your stomach started the slow aerobatic roll of protest.

I think I might sell my Big Dong to 7-11. A foot long core of sausage in a mantle of spicy beef chilli, wrapped in finest cheese and bacon pastry, rolled in nacho chips, and deep fried. And then left to mature on the rollers under a heat lamp for a week to attain perfection. The last bit is important and often overlooked. It's why the kebab is supreme, that skewer of mystery meat has been twirling like the world's saddest ballerina for weeks, not so much overturning all the rules of food hygiene as we know them but giving them the finger (refrigerate meat, pah). I haven't, I confess, been drunk enough to consummate my evening with a kebab for a couple of decades. I remember once on the top deck of the night bus home someone eating one and someone else emerging from the stairs and declaring loudly 'WHO'S FUCKING DOG DIED?" That was bonhomie N172-style.

My not-quite-2-year old step-granddaughter was given her first Greggs sausage roll this weekend.

Her response: "Oh wow! Delicious!"

Now, if only I can get her audaxing . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1563 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:19:38 am »

That sounds amazing.

IWOOT!!1! Hell yeah!

The Dibbler.
CMOT  ;)

Indeed  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

nicknack

• Hornblower
There's no vibrations, but wait.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1565 on: 01 September, 2017, 01:17:39 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41122909

"Robert Fergus, 72, ran naked with a pair of scissors in the public reception of the MacDonald Loch Rannoch Hotel".

Running with scissors...didn't his mother tell him anything?

ian

« Reply #1567 on: 01 September, 2017, 07:39:55 pm »
In London, we simply hold a celebratory riot. Or, as some call it, over-enthusiastic shopping.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1568 on: 01 September, 2017, 07:53:57 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41122909

"Robert Fergus, 72, ran naked with a pair of scissors in the public reception of the MacDonald Loch Rannoch Hotel".

Running with scissors...didn't his mother tell him anything?

It's quite a nice hotel for the location. There's a swimming pool too!
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1569 on: 04 September, 2017, 01:41:48 pm »

rogerzilla

« Reply #1570 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:15:10 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1571 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:55:17 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1572 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:59:09 pm »
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #1573 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:56:28 am »
I'd have blamed a big teleporting seagull.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1574 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:21:18 am »
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens