Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462741 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21075 on: 17 November, 2020, 10:06:50 am »
Riding like a god with a nice tail wind on the A264 dual carriageway, I clock a 4 x 4 off my right shoulder.  Good stuff, he's hanging back to get a wide pass.  After a few seconds he pulls past me, not very wide after all. And, I guess, forgets he's towing a GBFO trailer. The sort that is as wide, if not wider than the towing vehicle.

Dear readers, it was  >< this close to me, or so it seemed. Loud BAd Swears rent the air and I unleashed my inner Cavendish to try to chase him down but he got away.
I feel your pain. A right git decided this morning that I didn't need more than 2 inches so the two of us could certainly squeeze between the kerb and bollards. angryface.

Oh, and what about the close overtake which then evolves into a wide enough pass when it's 5 yards too late, hmm? The one that makes me think the driver only saw me as they drew level, suggesting they might not have been looking at the road? angryangryface.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #21076 on: 18 November, 2020, 09:19:13 pm »
4 way traffic lights, I have green the cars from the left have are on red, it's just going amber for me so red left for another two cycles.  Loon overtakes waiting cars, nearly takes out two pedestrians and bansais towards oncoming traffic.
First time in three years I wished I had a helmet cam.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #21077 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:09:36 am »
Another extended weekend of A12 closure so letting the train take the strain again. After walking the hound this morning decided that I'd stick to roads and bus lanes rather then the much more scenic river side route to station and cycle paths from station as rather icy

Rather chilly but realised I shouldn't be on phone on train as was beautiful as the mist cleared across the frozen fields. Getting my unfold and station prep better, screen shot of ticket QR code is much quicker then opening the ap.

The short ride from the station was colder and slower ten it should be but both are signs I'm just rather tired at the moment but rolling into work for a got cup of tea is still much more fun then getting stuck in traffic

« Reply #21078 on: 27 November, 2020, 10:11:10 am »
I think it was more "refreshingly brisk" than "a bit nippy".  Helped me wake up!

« Reply #21079 on: 27 November, 2020, 10:17:47 am »
Is refreshingly brisk closer to brass monkeys then a bit nippy or is it the other way round. Either way it was invigorating

« Reply #21080 on: 29 November, 2020, 04:36:28 pm »
I'd say refreshing, invigourating, a bit nippy, bracing, brass monkeys - but not sure what the SI standard is.

« Reply #21081 on: 29 November, 2020, 04:56:55 pm »
I think when it's cold SI stands for shrinking index if you get my drift

« Reply #21082 on: 01 December, 2020, 08:22:52 pm »
An hour and ten minutes to "fix" a puncture.

I have never had so much trouble. First I discovered I couldn't get the wheel out without undoing the mudguard stays. That was after I eventually unhooked the Nexus hub cable. It was at this point that I remembered I have a pair of latex gloves in the bag, too late by then.

I happened to have my "goto" tyre levers in the tool kit on this bike. Well one snapped, I wouldn't mind but it's not like they were brittle from the cold because up to that point both were bending into a j-shape round the rim. So one bendy lever and one short lever. And much swearing.

I eventually got the tyre off. It had gone from sunlight to dark by this point. And could I find what caused the puncture? Could I bollocks! Hell I couldn't even find the hole in the tube. I didn't think valve problem because I had heard a hiss through the outer tyre before I took the wheel out.

Decided to stick a fresh tube in and see how far I got. My back up plan being to phone my Mum and ask for a lift. Pumped it up, the pump wasn't working awfully well so that needs looking at. And then found/remembered that the wheel won't clear the brakes with the tyre inflated so I got to let the air out and then reinflate. Huzzah.

By this time I was cold and fed up so I decided to zip (motor turned up to 11) via Berwick station and see how long a wait for a train. I pulled into the platform as a train pulled in so at least something went right.

So three hours to get home with only 17 miles cycled. Ah well, at least it wasn't raining or that cold.

I pumped the old tube up when home and the hole is quite a way further round than the hiss I heard so I was concentrating on the wrong place. Don't want to use that bike tomorrow till I can have the tyre off again and have a proper look for intruders. But I'm not doing that now, I'm tired and the light in the bike fettling room (kitchen) isn't great.

I guess take a different bike or get the train boths ways. I'd like to just work from home but there's stuff what needs doing and tomorrow is the best weather of the rest of the week.

A very long moan for not much substance but I'm sure you'll forgive my frustrated grumbling.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #21083 on: 02 December, 2020, 07:07:27 pm »
The Richmond Park deer are making the traffic-free evening end of my commute a more nerve-wracking affair than usual. After a couple of days of fog, which makes the deer nervous and more prone to random dashing across the road, now they are given to standing in the road in the dark bits licking the salt.

« Reply #21084 on: 07 December, 2020, 10:48:32 pm »
FOG

« Reply #21085 on: 08 December, 2020, 06:07:29 pm »
COLD
Considering something warmer than a gore one - possibly a gillet over the top or a cheaper, warmer jacket.

« Reply #21086 on: 08 December, 2020, 06:31:21 pm »
Like Ashaman above. Tyre goes flat. Pull over, kit out and try to get the tyre off. I snap a lever. I've never done that but this rim is wider. It's a slow puncture luckily so pump the tyre and I get the last 2 miles. Later go to remove the wheel but forget something and then trap my finger twixt chain and ring. Fixed gear!!! Change the tube later at home but stop halfway to pump the tyre. Same issue this am. Obviously something deep in the tyre which I think I have now got out.

« Reply #21087 on: 10 December, 2020, 06:15:39 pm »
On the ride home I've started noticing riders with no lights - at least they have helmets ...

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #21088 on: 11 December, 2020, 10:37:08 pm »
Motorcyclists?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #21089 on: 17 December, 2020, 10:17:37 pm »
Another puncture. Within 100m of the last one.

Still this one the source was obvious, a bit of flint the size of my little finger nail. My tyres are towards the tougher end of the spectrum but I'm not sure anything but solids would have shrugged this wee spearhead off.

As I knew exactly where the hole was and could see the cause was out I decided to try the old tease out a section of tube and patch in place so as to avoid taking off the mudguard and detaching the hub gear. I had some self stick patches and I even remembered the latex gloves before I got mucky. I did try sticking a second patch onto the inside of the outer hole but I missed, oh well.

I'm still slow but twenty minutes is much better than the over an hour last time. Got some air into it and couldn't hear a hiss so I set off hoping I wouldn't be stopping again in five minutes.

Well it got me home. Pumped up with the track pump when I got in, it only had ~40psi in it at that point but I don't know how much I put in by the roadside so I'll check the drop in the morning.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #21090 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:46:01 pm »
Popped in to work to get some stuff for lockdown teaching.  Roads nice and quiet (it was gone 9am though but).  I hesitated about taking the SPM but went for it.  Discovered I feel like I am going slower than I actually am (according to the speedometer) and welcomed not needing to lug stuff on my back.  Also, new bar setup allows me to sit up/forward for intersections!

« Reply #21091 on: 28 January, 2021, 08:06:39 pm »
I’m worried that I’m becoming Mr. Shouty Cyclist, from time to time, as I vent my frustration. This is unproductive in every way. I need to ride my bike like this guy drives his car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FEO-XKo4cw

« Reply #21092 on: 16 February, 2021, 01:40:43 pm »
Which pro team rides Merida bikes and has red team cars? One of their broom wagon drivers had a good try at running me off the road on the ride home yesterday.

« Reply #21093 on: 18 February, 2021, 09:57:05 am »
Which pro team rides Merida bikes and has red team cars? One of their broom wagon drivers had a good try at running me off the road on the ride home yesterday.
Bahrain?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21094 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:56:21 pm »
On the way home tonight I arrived at a 3 exit mini roundabout at the same time the other two exits got occupied. Everyone was going to their 2nd exit so the usual standoff began, each watching (or so I thought) each. After a few seconds I decided to break the stalemate, sadly at the same time as the driver to my right. this put them on a collision course with me, so I went for plan B, my first exit, which was the one they were taking, and then pulled into the curb. I reckon they hadn't seen me/hadn't looked.  The punishment swerve as the went by me was a bit uncalled for I thought.

I think I need to sharpen my observation skills a tad though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #21095 on: 27 March, 2021, 10:35:16 am »
Took the SPM to work yesterday as lugging stuff.  On the way in I was sure the speedometer was wrong, no way 10mph is this much effort.  On the way home I was sure the speedometer was wrong, no way am I spinning out at 25mph.  Speed cameras assure me that my speedometer is working.

Also, mini roundabout joy. Driver signalling to turn left, I don’t believe him, he goes straight through (where I would have been had I believed the lying liar).  As I am stopped I watch the next two cars drive at random through the roundabout, using different random signalling.  Next motorist who says anything to me about my signalling can FRO.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21096 on: 30 March, 2021, 08:40:14 am »
Nothing wrong with my observation skills this morning. Those beloinging to the driver of a blue Fiesta, NL55EJ  could do with some work though. I'm progressing gently up an incline in the left lane of a dual carriageway, hands on the hoods, when Thwack! the  knuckle on my right hand little finger takes a glancing blow from the wing mirror ofg the above mentioned motor as it zips past at about 40 mph.  Bad Swears were uttered.

« Reply #21097 on: 30 March, 2021, 09:12:50 am »
 :o 'Kin 'ell!
Close passes thread?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21098 on: 30 March, 2021, 09:46:26 am »
:o 'Kin 'ell!
Close passes thread?
I didn't say hello to them, so I would/wouldn't be allowed in that thread. I've just filed an Operation send to the camps for reeducation Crackdown report though.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21099 on: 12 April, 2021, 09:55:31 am »
Had to tap into my inner Andy Hampsten and Bernard Hinault today, it was so wintry on the Col du Jolly Farmer on the way in.  First commute in this year and hopefully the most horrible weather.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)