Author Topic: Best tyres for a hardtail MTB that is never used on technical terrain  (Read 914 times)

I have a 29er hardtail MTB that I am almost exclusively using for longer rides alongside my mate who is on a dropped bar gravel bike.  This means we general ride on roads, gravel tracks and non technical off road terrain in dryer conditions. 

The MTB I have came with big knobbly Rapid Rob tyres that I have now worn down and need a change.  Am I better off ignoring MTB tyres and buying a 700cc hybrid, gravel tyre?  Or are there MTB tyres that would be ideally suited to this kind of riding?  What size should I be looking at?  Some recommendations would be handy as I only really know about road tyres. Ta

Re: Best tyres for a hardtail MTB that is never used on technical terrain
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2021, 03:20:27 pm »
What's your mate using?  if you're riding similar terrain, similar tyres might be appropriate.
On my 29're I'm using 2.15" Schwalbe Almotion, most of the riding is urban, though they're fine of dry tracks and big enough to absorb some rough stuff. Not sluggish on road, good puncture protection (Or I have so far been lucky), easy on and off my rims, I'll be replacing with the same when they wear out.

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2021, 03:29:00 pm »
Hes on a ribble gravel bike with hipster gravel tryes - I think they are 40mm.  They seem to perform well for him but im wondering on a mtb thats a bit heavier and has wider rims (I think) if you are not better off with a specific larger MTB tyre designed for road riding and trail or if any hybrid/gravel bike tyre will work just as well.

My guess is I can just stick on a hybrid style tyre as you say and have slightly better rolling on the road and not suffer much loss on the rougher terrain in the dry.

A 29er hardtail just seems to me like a heavier gravel bike with suspensions and flat bars.... but maybe im being too simplistic and there is a good reason to keep the larger tyres.

Ive only ever really had road bikes so a bit clueless on anything other than road tyres

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2021, 03:43:32 pm »
Most of the weight is you rather than the bike, so your bike being 'heavier' doesn't need to affect your tyre choice.  The rim width might matter.

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2021, 05:03:55 pm »
Schwalbe Thunder Burt are fast mtb tyres - probably still a bit slower than his gravel tyres on road, but at the ‘dry’ end of cross country tyres.

Otherwise some hipster gravel

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2021, 06:33:43 pm »
How about 40mm Panaracer GravelKing* SS or SS+ ?
On my "road/gravel" bike I've been using 32mm GravelKing* SKs and I've just switched to Gravelking* SS+s, also 32mm because the bike doesn't have huge amounts of clearance; some 35mm tyres fit, some don't..
I liked the SKs but I'm pretty sure that the SS are faster on road.
I never found the SKs to lack off road grip except in really muddy conditions and I try to avoid mud anyway...........
Although the SSs will struggle more offroad, the (apparent) extra speed on the road will be worth it. They're great on the gravel tracks around here; I'm in South Manchester and regularly use the TPT.
They're tubeless ready too if that's of interest.
Perhaps more usefully, they go on to my rims (Velocity Alerons) really easily; I'm running tubed primarily because the Alerons seem to leak at the rim weld.

*sic

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2021, 06:45:29 pm »
Gravel tyres go pretty wide now. 700x50c gravelking SK's exist, or tyres like the Maxxis Rambler and WTB Venture as alternatives.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2021, 09:02:36 pm »
Schwalbe Thunder Burt are fast mtb tyres - probably still a bit slower than his gravel tyres on road, but at the ‘dry’ end of cross country tyres.

Otherwise some hipster gravel
Was thinking this, but couldn't remember the faster Schwalbe XC tyres name.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2021, 09:19:13 pm »

I'd look at the Schwalbe G+ONE Alround. I use these on rides where I am intending to spend most of my time off road, and not looking for the masochism of off roading a tt bike with slick tyres (over cooked a corner on gravel last week, scared the crap out of me). I was surprised how good they were on the road, and much better than my slicks off road.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/