Author Topic: Brake Cable Couplers  (Read 2169 times)

Brake Cable Couplers
« on: 23 July, 2015, 08:28:49 am »
I would like to be able to use a coupler to enable a rear disc brake and a rear V brake to work from one brake lever on my tandem. I know SJS Cycles have one at £50 but would like a cheaper option if possible. Does anyone know how effective these are and any other options?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Brake Cable Couplers
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2015, 08:35:22 am »
Why run 2 rear brakes from 1 lever?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2015, 03:37:31 pm »
A dual-pull lever is the obvious alternative.  Probably unobtanium for drops, but the MTB style ones work fine.

Or use hydraulic brakes and split the hose.

It does seem like a slightly odd thing to want to do.  For a start, I've no idea how you'd go about balancing two cable brakes on the same wheel.

Independent control would seem a better option, unless there's a really good reason not to want it?  Either with a friction shifter on one of the brakes, or off-load it to a lever controlled by the stoker.

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2015, 03:42:53 pm »
off-load it to a lever controlled by the stoker.
That's what we do.

Maybe bodach's stoker is almost as unreliable as me for not doing as they're instructed.
I have a real brake and a placebo brake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2015, 03:44:46 pm »
I rode a (solo) bike with two placebo brakes once.  They're all the rage in the fens.

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2015, 06:23:15 pm »
 I want total control with no interference from rebellious stokers. At the moment I have a functional V brake at the rear and also an ordinary calliper brake but have never got round to fitting a cable or lever to this one. I should soon have a working disc rear brake and thought coupling this with the V brake would provide a neat solution and save a few ounces in weight. Will see if the disc brake performs well enough on its own to give me the confidence to descend a bit quicker before introducing the coupler. McNasty often complains I am too slow on downhills and I would really like to go faster but know I could stop quickly if I had to.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2015, 06:55:10 pm »
Hook the second rear brake to a third brake lever, perhaps a cross top lever. The disk alone will be fine, if you've chosen the correct brake.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...