Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2454254 times)

Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #22325 on: 07 October, 2018, 08:04:24 pm »
Trying to build a VM that uses a small amount of  RAM to be a simple DNS server as it turns out you cant have VMware vCenter without all the ESXi servers and vCenter being resolvable both forwards and reveres by DNS.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22326 on: 07 October, 2018, 08:52:37 pm »
Trying to build a VM that uses a small amount of  to be a simple DNS server asit turns out you cant have VMware vCenter without all the ESXi servers and vCenter being resolvable both forwards and reveres by DNS.
Speak English  man!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #22327 on: 07 October, 2018, 09:01:32 pm »
Trying to build a VM that uses a small amount of  to be a simple DNS server asit turns out you cant have VMware vCenter without all the ESXi servers and vCenter being resolvable both forwards and reveres by DNS.

Never bothered with vCenter. I've always just used the vSphere Client from a laptop/desktop to twiddle with the ESXi boxes (this includes my home ESXi server).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #22328 on: 07 October, 2018, 09:23:41 pm »

Never bothered with vCenter. I've always just used the vSphere Client from a laptop/desktop to twiddle with the ESXi boxes (this includes my home ESXi server).

Ah but most of my enterprise customers use vCenter. Plus I need to play around with Cisco ACI integration with vCenter - this is my actual goal not vCenter for vCenters sake. I need to get Ansible and Postman creating network configs in the Cisco kit and that being pushed to the vMware DVS.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22329 on: 07 October, 2018, 09:51:29 pm »
Speak English  man!

He can't keep track of all his imaginary computers, so he's molishing another imaginary computer to help with the problem.

ian

« Reply #22330 on: 07 October, 2018, 10:47:11 pm »
Sitting in a cinema in Liverpool, wishing I was at the Met in NY for Aida, rather than just watching a live broadcast.
Dr Beardy (Mrs) raved about this when I picked her up after the show. On the plus side, the advances in broadcasting tech mean that many more of you can watch a production that most would not be able to get to and the extra revenues allow the venues to actually break-even, even on lavish productions like this. On the double plus side, it means that Dr Beardy (Mrs) can attend these productions with her friend rather than taking me to suffer, as she would if we made a trip to New York.  ;D

I can't do opera, so I have to hand my wife to someone who can. I've tried on a non-voluntary basis. I've learned to tolerate classical music in all forms while not pulling that face. I can manage ballet (mostly without making a I don't think she's wearing knickers comment). I'm the official stand-in for her Sadler's Wells season ticket. Something that went unmentioned during our marriage vows.

« Reply #22331 on: 08 October, 2018, 01:47:13 pm »
Speak English  man!

He can't keep track of all his imaginary computers, so he's molishing another imaginary computer to help with the problem.

Brilliant Kim !  ;D

Its even worse as I am running nested virtualisation. The ESXi servers are actually VMs on VMware Workstation. So any VM on ESXi is an imaginary computer running on an imaginary computer.

« Reply #22332 on: 08 October, 2018, 08:17:53 pm »
waiting to dial into an american conference call and ask some questions which might get some colleagues in the UK out of a hole. for some reason they set it for 4pm east coast when most of us will be in the UK.

ian

« Reply #22333 on: 08 October, 2018, 10:08:31 pm »
waiting to dial into an american conference call and ask some questions which might get some colleagues in the UK out of a hole. for some reason they set it for 4pm east coast when most of us will be in the UK.

My usual response to such requests is that if you need me to join, reschedule for a time I'm available and during Uk office hours.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #22334 on: 09 October, 2018, 04:09:51 am »
Packing for my return to Ole Blighty. 

I hate packing. 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22335 on: 09 October, 2018, 06:20:33 am »

My usual response to such requests is that if you need me to join, reschedule for a time I'm available and during Uk office hours.

Yes, this, very much

Apart from when I was calling the Antipodes and accepted it was just crap for everyone
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22336 on: 09 October, 2018, 03:41:31 pm »
Just had two husky chaps in my bedroom....

Delivering one of John Lewis's  finest solid oak bed frames & a new Hypnos mattress.   The look on their faces when they realised I was on the 4th floor & there is no lift*.......there was much grunting & groaning. Very efficient, took the old mattress & divan away & bolted the new frame together in short time.

* I did warn them at the store, and tipped the blokes a tenner each. I think they earned it  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rr

« Reply #22337 on: 09 October, 2018, 06:07:01 pm »
I've just inspected Mr Larrington's former place of work which is being converted into flats.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22338 on: 09 October, 2018, 10:30:30 pm »
Wondering how I might recover some of the surplus of the duvet which is currently hanging off Dr Beardy (Mrs)’s side of the bed, without waking her up.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22339 on: 09 October, 2018, 11:43:24 pm »
We keep an emergency backup duvet handy at the foot of the bed for such eventualities.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22340 on: 10 October, 2018, 10:24:00 am »
Having a cuppa after a strenuous planing/sanding/swearing/sneezing/chiselling/fitting/gluing-up session.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22341 on: 10 October, 2018, 10:47:05 pm »

Agreed, however this was the first time in 11 years and the people on the call were the best in my field in the company. I had no right to expect to contribute but was able to learn a lot as well as back up the uk regulatory arena that the American's aren't familiar with.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #22342 on: 11 October, 2018, 03:33:57 am »
Wishing I could get to sleep and now wondering if it's worth trying . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #22343 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:08:24 am »
Just had two husky chaps in my bedroom....
Delivering one of John Lewis's  finest solid oak bed frames & a new Hypnos mattress.   

Regarding new matresses, I sang the praises of a Tempurfoam mattress as a replacement, Mrs Scum was not convinced at all.
Cue delivery and first sleepies - Mrs Scum hit the pillow and immediately started sleeping like you would see a cartoon character.
Cue eight hours later and she was still fast asleep in exactly the same position.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22344 on: 11 October, 2018, 09:12:49 am »
a good matress is definitely worth spending on, definitely an area where cheap is a false economy
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22345 on: 11 October, 2018, 09:47:11 am »
I tried one of the foam ones in the shop, but didn't like the way I sank into it & had to struggle getting off the thing.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #22346 on: 11 October, 2018, 10:33:29 am »
Slept on a foam mattress in an appartment we rented in Annecy last year.

Hated it, every morning I work up and it felt like I'd weed myself in the night. Obviously I hadn't but it was a very odd feel to it when it had been slept in.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #22347 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:36:18 pm »
Sitting on the train home from London.  Awful week with very late nights and nearly mornings.  My introvert really kicks in when i am tired.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22348 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »
Downloading the GPX of today's ride and listening to Sir Malcom Sargent conducting Má Vlast.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22349 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:58:22 pm »
Downloading the GPX of today's ride and listening to Sir Malcom Sargent conducting Má Vlast.
Can you actually hear someone conducting an orchestra? ‘ ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.