Author Topic: Base training  (Read 253366 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #1000 on: 06 September, 2018, 09:06:08 am »
Good luck Saturday.

Back on the early morning riding routine (Tuesday and Thursday 6-7am). It's not even cold at the moment - I hope it gets easier or I'm gonna really struggle when it gets cold! I wonder if I've conditioned myself to run more on sugar over the summer. Workout was reasonable though...
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/39336662-mount-field

simonp

« Reply #1001 on: 09 September, 2018, 06:55:50 pm »
Good luck Saturday.

Thanks!

We made the final. It didn’t go our way this time against a good crew from Warwick.

Now for a bit of a break from the intensity of training we’ve had. Ramp test in a couple of days.

« Reply #1002 on: 10 September, 2018, 09:30:22 am »
Ramp test doesn't sound like a break from intensity. :)

I did a strange ride yesterday outside. A guy on a hybrid came along to a social, and I ended up riding with him and taking a shortcut to the cafe. We rode back together, but when we got back, it didn't feel like much of a ride, so I blasted a couple of hills on my way home - the total time was 4 hours for 160 TSS and I got 58 of them in the last 28  minutes!
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/39477986-meet-the-condors-

My legs are feeling a bit cooked today, I don't think it was advisable to do a 300 TSS week as my first week back.  ::-) Might have to take tomorrow easy and back it off a touch, otherwise I doubt I will sustain the consistency that produces the best returns.

simonp

« Reply #1003 on: 11 September, 2018, 05:43:10 pm »
Ramp test doesn't sound like a break from intensity. :)

Might scale back my plans for this week as I'm still feeling a but under the weather.

« Reply #1004 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:42:20 pm »
After a summer of little riding because, reasons, (grrr, given the weather)  Im contemplating climbing back on the trainer with a view to proper prep for a tour next spring. Just looked at my FTP history in TR, three years ago it was 299, I think I'll be starting at about 200 :(

« Reply #1005 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:15:17 am »
I've forgotten quite how hard sweet spot is supposed to be. 220W was surprisingly easy today, my only concern was whether it was making my knee hurt, not my legs/lungs exploding. I remember really struggling with some sweet spot stuff in the past. Maybe the banana before/during was a factor in this - usually I would be doing it early in the morning with no breakfast.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/39656694-monitor

simonp

« Reply #1006 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:16:56 am »
Oooh got access to the calendar feature woo. (Still Beta I think)

« Reply #1007 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:18:33 am »
Oooh.  I want a go at that! :)
Did you ask for it to be enabled? And is that on the website or just in the app?

simonp

« Reply #1008 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:20:43 am »
Oooh.  I want a go at that! :)
Did you ask for it to be enabled? And is that on the website or just in the app?

Web only. There is a google form to request access, which I filled in a few days ago.

Request access here https://goo.gl/forms/sO1hAWfdxF2Gjjwb2

Also, beta tester facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrainerRoadBetaTesters/

« Reply #1009 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:33:35 am »
I have Calendar access now.  It's really cool. :)

On Saturday I sorted out my fixie, and then hammered the 6km home (including up what passes for a big hill around here).
On Sunday my quads were super stiff, but I did my TR workout anyway, and they loosened up after the first interval. It was a sweet spot one, and to get the power I could either do a cadence of 85rpm ish or one of 100 ish. The 85ish was definitely easier, but I know I need to spin more, so I did some sections of 100ish. I completed it, and it felt like it went really well.

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/39656694-monitor

Today my quads are tight, and my right hip flexor is sore (made more so by bouncing up the stairs to get something my daughter forgot before school). I can't remember what it was like when I was doing Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday before in terms of how much discomfort I had on the following day, but it feels like I've been working hard. I'm supposed to be doing a hill climb on Saturday (on the fixed), but I'm not sure it's a good plan if my hip flexor is bad. Gonna see how tomorrow's workout goes before I make my mind up I think... The plan has 3 more weeks of proper work before the recovery week - I think I may struggle by the end as I did too much stress in week 1 (second highest ever since I've had power) and now it's catching up with me.

simonp

« Reply #1010 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:37:35 pm »
Did ramp test earlier. 229W. It’ll have to do. Aim for 250W by Christmas. This would be ahead of last year.

« Reply #1011 on: 18 September, 2018, 08:58:18 am »
Ahead of last year is always good. :)
I didn't ride this morning - my daughter woke me up twice last night, and so when the alarm went at 5:42 I just turned it off and stayed in bed!

rob

« Reply #1012 on: 18 September, 2018, 09:08:39 am »
Training for next year starts Mon 5th November.  In the meantime just enjoying riding the bike.

Must finish the Winter bike at some point.

simonp

« Reply #1013 on: 19 September, 2018, 11:50:06 pm »
So I switched Mount Field for Monitor tonight; I also tried out SiS Beta Fuel.

I don't know if I ate something bad earlier but I struggled to reach the end of the 5th interval intact, and had to stop and go to the loo during the rest interval. Back for the final interval, and had to go after I finished the workout and again about 15 minutes later.

The workout was harder than expected. An upset stomach won't have helped.

I'm hoping it's not the Beta Fuel - if it was then it's a good job I didn't try it out at a regatta!

« Reply #1014 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:23:53 am »
If you listen to the TR podcast, "don't try anything new during a race" seems to be one of their mantras.
I did a part of a workout this morning, but I was tired (woken up by my daughter and my wife last night!), and my hip flexor is still playing up.  I think it's to do with how I'm sitting at work. Also, it's supposed to be about spinning fast, but Saturday I'm going to be doing a hillclimb, and if I use my fixie then I reckon even with my new gearing I'm going to be averaging about 60 cadence. I tried riding the second interval at low cadence, but I didn't really feel like I wanted to go below 70 - the trainer "feel" really doesn't help with low cadences.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/39989650-ericsson

Also, I weighed myself this morning, and I've put on 5 pounds since I last weighed myself about a month ago.  That's not going to help hillclimbing. :(

rob

« Reply #1015 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:50:07 am »
Anyone got any recommendations for turbo tyres ?   I've been through 2 Continental Hometrainers but they seem to develop cracks along the tread fairly quickly.

« Reply #1016 on: 23 September, 2018, 01:35:34 pm »
I've just been using the conti roadsport that came with the bike.  Though I don't do anywhere near the mileage you do (and it is going a bit square).
After yesterday's hill climb (went well, 68rpm up in 7:32 - power PB from 1:30 to 7:32 of 332 normalized, and 150rpm down), I was probably a bit ambitious planning on doing my Saturday TR ride today. I got through one 20 minute sweet spot interval, but got quite cold in the rest period and my quad tightened up, so I called it early and did some stretching. Now my quad feels fine, but my hip flexor/groin on the right is definitely complaining. Hopefully it's just tightness and I can do the next workout on Tuesday. My cold might have gone by then as well.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/40144399-eclipse

simonp

« Reply #1017 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:13:08 am »
Tried again last night, did Carillon - no stomach issues. It's not the Beta Fuel as I used that again.

simonp

« Reply #1018 on: 27 September, 2018, 11:13:11 am »
TR’s calendar is now out of beta.

« Reply #1019 on: 27 September, 2018, 12:03:29 pm »
I played with it a bit when it was in Beta, it's pretty cool. Sadly I have a cough and a crappy cold, so I've not ridden since the weekend - I'm going to have to use the calendar to move everything one week!

« Reply #1020 on: 27 September, 2018, 01:05:52 pm »
I really like the calendar.  I have started some weight training and TR allows me to log these with a notional TSS based on RPE.

I should get a chance to try the new calendar in the PC app tonight when i do my session.

simonp

« Reply #1021 on: 27 September, 2018, 05:13:49 pm »
Everything I've been doing (i.e. rowing, cycling, weights) has been logged in Strava and Trainingpeaks and also ends up in TR.

I'd like to be able to ditch TrainingPeaks. TR aren't quite there yet. For one thing, if it's not swim run or cycle it's "other". I want to have more categories.

I'd also like them to estimate TSS from heart rate.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1022 on: 27 September, 2018, 07:49:27 pm »
Yes - I think when they get HRtss sorted that might be it for TP.  I'm going to experiment with the new calendar in the next week readying for next years adventures

Just in case peeps might have missed it, I note on the TR forum that they have a price increase coming but you can lock in the current price if you are already a subscriber/subscribe before 8th Oct  Details here:  https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/trainerroad-pricing-update-but-you-until-oct-8th-2018-to-lock-in-at-current-pricing/667
Regards,

Joergen

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1023 on: 29 September, 2018, 01:59:14 pm »
i did a ramp test today and really struggled with the motivation to push myself to the max. this resulted the ftp drop of 31w or 4.6 -> 4.0w/kg. i reckon my real figure is around 4.2 now, provided i'm hyped up have mental capacity to suffer. i'll redo the test next week.

« Reply #1024 on: 29 September, 2018, 04:08:37 pm »
Any sort of FTP test pushes your mental strengths as much as your physical ones, but the difference with the ramp is that you get a rubbish number - if you quit on the 20 or 8 minute tests than you don't get a result at all. I'd endorse your plan to re-test next week with good motivation. :)

I just rode outside for fun today - I've got a horrible cough so I'd not been riding this week, and it's sunny and reasonably warm outside. Gotta make the best of it. :) I'll resume the TR plan on Tuesday after missing a week...