Author Topic: Base training  (Read 252019 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #1150 on: 25 November, 2018, 11:39:16 am »
I have not used the Tacx software for a number of years but it was generally incredibly flaky. The forums were full of complaints about it not working.

I think they’ve made a real effort with the new desktop application. Runs fine.

« Reply #1151 on: 28 November, 2018, 09:04:13 pm »
Cheeky little ramp test to further suppress my ftp estimate followed by an hour at endurance pace on a flat Tacx video course around Amsterdam.

It has to be said that having had this year basically off the bike and not even running for 3 months has left me with a lot to do.

« Reply #1152 on: 29 November, 2018, 11:37:30 pm »
Tonight I visited Italy, virtually. Madonna del Ghisallo courtesy of Tacx.

16 miles, 2,700ft or climb almost all in the last 6 miles. New ftp estimate based on best 20 minutes output on the climb. Only 17 watts better than last night but every watt counts:) 128tss in 70 minutes😮

Day off tomorrow

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #1153 on: 30 November, 2018, 08:27:34 am »

16 miles, 2,700ft or climb almost all in the last 6 miles. New ftp estimate based on best 20 minutes output on the climb. Only 17 watts better than last night but every watt counts:) 128tss in 70 minutes😮

Day off tomorrow

128TSS in 70' would imply your FTP estimate is too low.

« Reply #1154 on: 30 November, 2018, 09:05:36 am »

Day off tomorrow

128TSS in 70' would imply your FTP estimate is too low.

Yes, actually checking back it was 75, but that included some cool down and warm up. It’s not clear whether the gas score is based on the old or new ftp estimate, but Garmin suggests the new estimate has been used. Still I’m happy to have low rather than high estimate.

Chris S

« Reply #1155 on: 30 November, 2018, 11:05:08 pm »
New trainers in the Pain Cave.

Fboab's didn't want to play at first; there's more work to do there. I've had a lot more success with mine, but its not fully proven yet. First test made my FTP 40w lower. Git!

« Reply #1156 on: 30 November, 2018, 11:38:28 pm »

Fboab's didn't want to play at first; there's more work to do there. I've had a lot more success with mine, but its not fully proven yet. First test made my FTP 40w lower. Git!

It must be lying!

Chris S

« Reply #1157 on: 30 November, 2018, 11:45:01 pm »

It must be lying!

Huh! I wish  :facepalm:

rob

« Reply #1158 on: 01 December, 2018, 02:52:18 pm »
Entering week 3.  Week 1 was 9h45 and week 2 10hrs.   All turbo and in race position.

I’m missing the outdoors quite a lot.   The morning walk to the station doesn’t quite cut it.

Nearly finished week 4.   Weeks 5 and 6 will be similar.   There’s a chance I’ll be back on the road just before Christmas.

simonp

« Reply #1159 on: 02 December, 2018, 01:29:03 pm »

It must be lying!

Is this a real drop in FTW, or a difference between trainers? I reckon my KickR over-read by about 15-20W, sadly.

Chris S

« Reply #1160 on: 02 December, 2018, 03:57:37 pm »

It must be lying!

Is this a real drop in FTW, or a difference between trainers? I reckon my KickR over-read by about 15-20W, sadly.
I doubt it's real - you can't really compare figures between wheel on and wheel off trainers, so I suspect the old trainer was over stating it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #1161 on: 02 December, 2018, 05:23:23 pm »

It must be lying!

I doubt it's real - you can't really compare figures between wheel on and wheel off trainers, so I suspect the old trainer was over stating it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, every meter measures differently. Last night my Garmin watch connected to the stages power meter and the laptop to the Neo. Average power on the laptop 207 watts vs 210 on Garmin. Not very different, and you could say that 3 watts would be drivetrain loss, but I bet a different stages unit would give a different answer...

« Reply #1162 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:18:00 am »
Most power meter companies only state a 1-2% accuracy.  Same with trainers (even direct drive ones). So a few W here or there is within the error bar for the trainer or the power meter or both.
When I went from "Virtual Power" (calculated from a speed/resistance graph) to measured power from my pedals, I jumped about 15W (in the good direction!). I reckon about half of it is drivetrain, and half just the inaccuracies in "Virtual Power". I saw somewhere a post about "Zwift doping", how you do the rolldown test with your tyre really flat, and then pump it up before you ride, so you show more power in the race than you are putting out! That seems just sneaky!

I rode yesterday for the first time in almost 2 weeks due to a rotten cold.  Mary Austin was not the ride to choose! Strava seems to do some sort of interpolation as well - I skipped a bit of the ride (as you can see from the picture) and Strava has just joined the dots.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1996349626
Still, hopefully I can get going again properly tomorrow - I'll probably turn it down a few percent to give myself a chance of completing it as I recover from the lurgy.

Chris S

« Reply #1163 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:32:15 am »
It's taken me the best part of a month to get back into it after a cold/cough/post-viral state.

I'm having much more fun with Zwift this time around. Better PC, better trainer, slightly different goals - just seems to work better for me this time. I'm really quite enjoying the PACK social rides.

simonp

« Reply #1164 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:02:04 pm »
I've been struggling to get cycling workouts in with the rowing training taking a lot of time and energy. Deadlifts on Thursday with my PT - my hamstrings are still sore today.

However with no rowing training on Saturday as I was coxing, I had a go at Hunter - 2 and it went ok. Had to extend a couple of the breaks in the final interval a bit to keep it going but survived all the intervals intact.

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/sproven/rides/44804431-hunter-2

Ramp test penciled in for tomorrow to see how I'm doing.

« Reply #1165 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:08:43 pm »
I would hate that workout.  Two hours on a trainer, with over 1 hour spent in the sweetspot/tempo zone? Ouch.
Good luck with the ramp test.

« Reply #1166 on: 03 December, 2018, 08:38:18 pm »
I did a couple of trainer rides at the weekend:

Saturday I rode stage 1 of the Eroixa videos from Tacx, just over an hour with several punchy climbs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1995026246

Then the first part of a Tacx vo2 workout, cut short as it was turned 9 and the family needed to eat:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1997282281

I’m really enjoying the Tacx software - much more my thing than Zwift - and the collection of video rides and workouts seems sufficient to replace TR as well as provide nice sunny scenery on a winter’s evening.

More later

Mike

« Reply #1167 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:28:46 pm »
Mike you might like some of the videos on Bigringvr. Still on free beta but an impressive range of climbs and rides. I did  an hour on the lower slopes of mont. entourage tonight and had a great time.

« Reply #1168 on: 03 December, 2018, 11:09:48 pm »
Mike you might like some of the videos on Bigringvr. Still on free beta but an impressive range of climbs and rides. I did  an hour on the lower slopes of mont. entourage tonight and had a great time.

Hi Chris

Hope you’re well?

I’d forgotten BRVRtm - looks like it’s now off beta and they’re charging. Not excessive, but another package!

I might have a go with the trial though, just to see how they compare. One positive with Tacx is the availability of workouts too, although I think it includes theirs and everyone on the system whose made their own up too.

Mike

« Reply #1169 on: 04 December, 2018, 07:32:26 am »
Mike
I am well thank you.  I must still be in their beta group as I am not paying yet!

« Reply #1170 on: 04 December, 2018, 09:16:19 am »
I got up early to do my ride, and then TR wouldn't pair with my pedals. It (eventually) paired with my new Tickr heart rate strap, but point blank refused to see the pedals.
The strange bit is that the phone could find the pedals (available on the bluetooth pairing screen), so I don't know what's going on there. I'm gonna try again tomorrow, but not connect the HR strap until the pedals are paired.
The help link in the TR app said that sometimes bluetooth can only pair to one device at a time, but I had 3 going for much of the summer (pedals, speed sensor, HR strap), so I'm not sure I believe that.  I'll be really irritated if it's a new restriction. Will have to see how it works tomorrow...

simonp

« Reply #1171 on: 04 December, 2018, 09:55:21 pm »
+3W to 236W.

Increases are slow at present.

However I have a new all-time max HR of 196 and a new all-time 1-minute peak of 195 HR.

220 - age, my arse.

« Reply #1172 on: 04 December, 2018, 11:54:14 pm »
+3W to 236W.

Increases are slow at present.

However I have a new all-time max HR of 196 and a new all-time 1-minute peak of 195 HR.

220 - age, my arse.

Been a long time since we’ve saw 190+, or even 180. +!

Hey ho, keep up the good work

rob

« Reply #1173 on: 05 December, 2018, 08:58:07 am »
220 - age, my arse.

Exactly.   I managed 205 on a ramp test when I was *cough* a little over 40.

« Reply #1174 on: 05 December, 2018, 09:02:39 am »
Apologies if this isnt the place to ask.

Getting back into training mode after damaging myself on the National 24 in July.  Currently have a Tacx Vortex Smart that I've been using for a couple of years and it's been fine but starting to show it's age and am aiming to upgrade to a direct drive trainer.

Looking at either a Tacx Neo (not the Neo 2)  or a Kickr Core to replace it.  Will be using it with Zwift on an Apple TV.  Anybody got any experiances with these two, good or bad?  One concern I have is that from what l've read the Core only will only allow two out of three of Power, Cadence and HR over Bluetooth as it transmits power and cadence on seperate channels wherea Tacx trainers combine them into one.