Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
What does "not wanting to transfer" mean?

(I tend to favour cp -av for this sort of thing.)
Well cut and paste isn't cutting it as there are issues with some files not wanting to transfer.

Any programs that will do the transfer and not have any issues?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Séamas M. on Today at 12:17:45 am »
Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle
« Last post by Gaston Lagaffe on Yesterday at 11:55:37 pm »
Let’s All Make A Bomb - Heaven 17
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Yesterday at 11:53:47 pm »
Waging War On The Forevers ~ Minsk
« Last post by Woofage on Yesterday at 11:50:59 pm »
Diamonds Are Forever - Shirley Bassey
Online quizzes / Re: Random online quizzes
« Last post by Wowbagger on Yesterday at 11:23:58 pm »
A quiz on 1984.

https://www.theguardian.com/two-plus-two-equals/2024/apr/03/how-well-do-you-know-orwells-1984-take-the-quiz-to-find-out

7/10 for me, although that was really 7/9, because one of the questions was nothing to do with the book, but a film (of which I had never heard) made years later and purportedly based on the book.
The Pub / Re: Heating on?
« Last post by TimC on Yesterday at 11:10:38 pm »
Yes. Of course. It's almost summer. WTF?
OT Gallery / Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Last post by TimC on Yesterday at 11:08:27 pm »
Flying ‘below the hills’ doesn’t mean that it was flying unusually low - or doing anything wrong, which is the implication of your statement that it was at ‘175ft altitude’. The 250’ MSD limitation means that 250ft is the closest the aircraft can be to any land, water or man-made obstruction. It does not mean that it must be 250’ above any land within a few miles. The whole point of low-flying training is to use the land to obscure your presence - and not just from electronic detection, but visual detection too.
I remember as a youth looking down on a Hercules as I walked on the Malvern hills, as it was on the west side I imagined that the SAS were practicing jumping into haystacks.

It remained firmly in your imagination! The SBS were more fun to drop, as their tasking was basically loopy, whereas the SAS (and other Special Forces like 2 Sqn RAF Regt) at least considered survival as a potential benefit. But most of that kind of crazy stuff no longer happens. However, exposure to real warfare tends to bring it back...
Rides and Touring / Re: Carretera Austral - Patagonia
« Last post by mmmmartin on Yesterday at 11:01:59 pm »
What i did in 2015 when i needed to do exactly this was go to a supermarket and take a load of old cardboard boxes out of a pile of them inside the shop. Nothing is thrown away down there and the boxes are there for the taking. These were cornflakes boxes and the like. Buy very many rolls of parcel tape. Partly dismantled the bike, pedals off, handlebars off, derailleur off, etc. Cable tie it all together. Wrap in many rolls of Clingfilm to hold it all together. Then build a cardboard outer layer that looks like a box. Obvs the colourful side goes on the inside. Use a few thicknesses of cardboard if you want to. Use lots of parcel tape, write BICI  on the outside. It looks like a box with a bike inside. I flew back to Santiago and then left all my luggage for two nights at the airport luggage store and took the bus into the centre and stayed at the Ibis. Very nice. Clean. Good food. Dry air. Quiet - ask for a room high up, away from the city noise. Took the bus to airport, picked up the bike in box and other bags, spent last bit of money on one beer, flew home. The check in staff at the airport see a cardboard container labelled BICI. That's all you need. There's no strength in the box but there never is in a cardboard box anyway. The strength is in the way you've packed the bike. You can wrap clothes around things to protect them from bumps etc but i didn't. I happily acknowledge that this idea came from Avi Cohen OTP who has done this loads of times and showed me how to do it. We bumped into each other in a small village in southern Patagonia, Chile side. He took front forks out, etc. And he actually told the woman at check-in that this box was a rucksack. (!!!)
We spent most of a day doing this, with cups of tea and lots of chat. Hope this helps. PM me if more info needed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10