Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143064 times)

Davef

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1475 on: 10 April, 2021, 07:55:01 am »
Strava elevation data is primarily sourced from their users with gps devices with barometric altimeters. If it is wrong it probably means not many people have been that way and their altimeters were out. If there is very little data they refer to external elevation databases.
I guess they are too tight to pay for OS data.

They describe here how they calculate elevation:
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001294564-Elevation-on-Strava-FAQs

If your device has barometric elevation data, and the device is in their 'good' list then the elevation from the device will be honoured.
Otherwise, the elevations are corrected to their crowdsourced elevation data.
Failing that, they fall back on some public elevation data ( SRTM? ).
That is what I was saying. By “crowdsourced” the crowd they are referring to is other strava users. More cyclists are likely to have barometric altimeters than runners and tend to be more constrained by route so the data is way better on road.

The thing with barometric altimeters though is that they are incredibly good at measuring altitude change but rubbish at absolute altitude so need calibration either against gps or manually. I first saw this comparing device altitude data from a ride I did with someone starting in a different location (the investigation was due to having a different maximum height and we had visited the same high point). The altitude data was exactly parallel (freakishly so) with a difference of about 12m. Identical, but checking against the known spot height on the route mine was all minus 5m and his all +7m.

« Reply #1476 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:14:11 am »
Job done.  Feeling more in tune with the world again.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #1477 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:17:15 am »
Fantastic  :thumbsup:

I broke the crust of a 5 week break with a 2 mile run yesterday.  Think I might do the old faithful 6 miler to the Gothic Mansion today, but slowly.  I want to get back to the point where I just want to run, and find a way to integrate it with my cycle commute.

« Reply #1478 on: 10 April, 2021, 09:29:24 am »
I'd never cope with five weeks off.   You must be a bit of a butcher's dog.  😉

It was low hr run today and I took the opportunity to think through my Garmin anxiety.  Yes, I gave it a label so I can compartmentalise it and devise a strategy to cope with it.  fboab was very helpful in reminding me that I can turn these metrics and stats off which I have now done but I also got to thinking about what I need from a wearable in future and what is the best way to record my training for my benefit.  I also got to thinking about what I would say to a personal trainer whose approach was demotivating given that Garmin has lofty ambitions to be your PT on your wrist.  It wasn't polite: Garmin beware!

I think Garmin miss the point badly with wearables.  Clearly they need to demonstrate to elite athletes and their coaches just how useful these devices are but in doing so they have forgotten about their core audience, the people who actually buy the products and make their business viable.  It would make sense to have a fully customisable profile of the wearer and respond in a more AI and intuitive way than to have a nagging one size definitely doesn't fit all approach.

Having drawn up a list of what my next wearable must have and what I must be able to disable I shall buy the next device with far more awareness. 

« Reply #1479 on: 10 April, 2021, 09:39:48 am »
My Garmin demoted me by one VO2 max point yesterday, and frankly I deserved more. I'm four points lower than last May when it told me I was in the top 1% of age range. Now I have the ignominy of only being in the top 5%.  ;D  And that is the thing about the Garmin metrics...they are a double-edged sword. I love it when they promote me, say nice things about me, tell me I'm awesome, but when I put in days of hard training and they tell me I am 'in recovery' I have to be careful to not let it get to me and demotivate me.

I'd never cope with five weeks off.   You must be a bit of a butcher's dog.  😉

I am younger than you, and up until last May was in very good holistic shape. 90 minutes of yoga and pilates per day up until that point meant that I think I can still get away with a few things that would stop others in their tracks.  Yesterday was a bit weird...biomechanically everything felt amazing. Form felt really good. I walked a warm up for 5 minutes then when I started running I found I was at a 8min/mile pace with ease (in terms of muscles/joints). However I was pretty much a whole zone up on heart rate than I would have been 5 weeks ago.

« Reply #1480 on: 10 April, 2021, 10:36:11 am »
That's interesting. 

In that same 5 week period I have done five weeks of progressive running mixing easy and harder sessions, working at keeping hr low on three out of four, steadily extending my longer session and doing an intervals session.  At first Garmin was happy and promoted me one VO2 max in week 2 and then another in week 3.  All seemed to match how I was training though I was cautious of praise thrown at me by the ToJ.  And then for no apparent reason I am demoted a VO2 max point, relegated to serial couch potato (unproductive) and generally chided and scolded for making the effort.  The thing is, I don't feel how it tells me I feel:  I feel fitter, stronger, more powerful and more capable.  During my latest intervals session I could sustain my tempo finish for longer and my 100m "sprints" are improving.  It may only be an average of a second or so but I am improving.

And yet Garmin ...

Now, I am not in the top 5% or even 30% for my age but I knew that when I started my mission to get fit again.  I am not even sure how that metric is derived because looking at the unfit hoardes in the town centre when I go shopping I must surely be in the top 10%.  I can only assume that Garmin believes that the human population consists mainly of elite athletes and a few chronically ill people.  🤔

Anyway, I am genuinely pleased with my progress (and it is real progress) so Garmin can go shove it's algorithms up it's oximeter!

Davef

Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1481 on: 10 April, 2021, 11:31:54 am »
The low hr running is going to make it more difficult for garmin to estimate vo2 max accurately. It is a bit like estimating the top speed of a car by driving it at 20 miles an hour and listening to the engine sound.

I tend to do long slow meanders on the bike (collecting VeloViewer tiles) and more intensive runs. Garmin is convinced when I don the bib shorts I also swap out my cardio vascular system for one with a much lower vo2 max.

« Reply #1482 on: 10 April, 2021, 12:52:50 pm »
That's interesting.  Garmin tells me that I have a low aerobic shortage even though only this morning I did 1 hour of low hr.  It also says that my training load is too focused on high intensity activities even though I only do one high intensity session a week.  I do two medium intensity sessions keeping my hr under control and mainly succeeding in not going anaerobic.

« Reply #1483 on: 10 April, 2021, 01:07:48 pm »
10k @ 9.5min/mile.  First 4 felt great, last 2 felt stiff

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1484 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:31:28 pm »
I was thinking about getting a Garmin watch, but this conversation is putting me off the idea.  I will just blame Friday's slow average pace on the number of stiles and kissing gates I had to navigate, without the science discrediting this excuse  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1485 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:33:35 pm »
It's not average speeds that are the bone of contention, its the fitness metrics. I think you have to take the long view with them.

« Reply #1486 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:52:10 pm »
I have been using a garmin with "fitness metrics" for 3 years.  How long does it need I wonder?

Garmin is very good at recording your exercise sessions but the "extras" are totally shite in my opinion.  Stick to distance, time, splits, etc. and it is probably fine but as soon as it tries to nanny you about training plans and fitness it gets all up itself.   My Garmin anxiety isn't healthy in any possible way.

I cannot see me replacing this Thief of Joy (incredibly apt name I gave it) with Yet Another Fucking Garmin.  I'll probably go back to something very basic in future.

« Reply #1487 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:57:02 pm »
I have been using a garmin with "fitness metrics" for 3 years.  How long does it need I wonder?

By long view I mean a general trend over many months, rather than worrying over a week or two. (speaking from my POV here.. I don't know what your Garmin is telling you)

« Reply #1488 on: 10 April, 2021, 09:35:17 pm »
It's telling me all lies I tell you, all lies!

I was happy with my 735XT but it decided to disintegrate after two years and a few days and foolishly I upgraded to the ToJ.   It's all my own fault.  🙄

« Reply #1489 on: 11 April, 2021, 09:19:10 am »
Back out this morning.  3km mixed fields and road, slow and steady but not even a twinge.  Breakfast and a long walk with Reverend B as it is her Christmas holiday. 

Running can resume!!!!

« Reply #1490 on: 11 April, 2021, 10:15:50 am »
Another one returns ...    :thumbsup:

Just discovered that for some unknown reason Garmin stopped sharing with Strava after 3rd March.  I can only assume that a software update caused the link to be severed.  I use Strava as cloud storage backup ever since the great Garmin hack of 2020.   The link has been restored.

Davef

« Reply #1491 on: 11 April, 2021, 06:10:08 pm »
I had a bit of calf tweak six weeks back. Took 3 weeks off running and then just low intensity for a couple of weeks. Properly tested it out today - fastest 5k for a while.

Can’t wait for Parkrun to start again (at some point).

« Reply #1492 on: 12 April, 2021, 01:10:25 pm »
Just back from a 12km run.  A bit sunnier and warmer than forecast but it didn't stop me or slow me down.  I am pleased with my average pace and hr which has definitely reduced on average over runs since I have been doing the extra low hr sessions.  Good news imo  👍

ToJ is still complaining but I'm beginning to see it as that moaning uncle who always grumbles about something.   I've had a great run but ToJ's glass is half empty!

« Reply #1493 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:45:46 am »
Went out intending 5/6k and just carried on to do 10 in the end  :thumbsup:

A few twinges in my calf midway but babied it a little and seems ok now - ask me again tomorrow  :P

Was just about the right temperature out there for me which is a big change from yesterday.

It's still pretty amazing to me that I can just go out and run like that, it was only 27th April last year that I started C25K from a base on no running beyond a dogtrot for the train when running late. I knwo I had the cycling base fitness but even so  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1494 on: 13 April, 2021, 05:52:57 pm »
Went out for a run at lunchtime, and got chomped by an out-of-control dog half a k from the end!

Ripped my top, and left a fairly deep inch-long gouge in my arm.
Phone consultation with the quack, and I'm on ABx.

Bah!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5118589255

« Reply #1495 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:11:55 pm »
Top stuff Ashaman42.  👍

Bad news Feanor.  👎   Did you get owners details perchance and wi you report the incident?  I know an out of control dog largely behaves badly because of the owner but that is a risk to anybody and especially children and less capable adults.

I am setting an early alarm to get out for intervals in the morning.   🙂

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1496 on: 13 April, 2021, 08:50:28 pm »
I didn't get details, as I was within 500m of the end with a PB in sight, and didn't realise that I was bleeding fairly profusely.

In retrospect, I should have done.

A quick squirt of water and clean-up at the car, and then a more thorough clean-up back at the office, and all seems fine.
But it's a surprisingly deep gouge.

A phone consultation with the GP, and I'm on ABx just-in-case, which I'm not really sure is a great idea but I'll go along with it.

T'is naught but a flesh wound. I would describe the mutt as 'over-excitable' rather then 'malicious'. The sight of a running creature seems to trigger something a bit primeval in their branez. Whether as potential prey, or as a fun running partner is not always clear.

« Reply #1497 on: 14 April, 2021, 07:21:38 am »
Still not be best thing though.

Been out for early intervals.  Great way to start the day.  👍

« Reply #1498 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:42:41 am »
8km done.  My longest run in over 6 weeks due to my achilles.  So good to be getting back into it.

« Reply #1499 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:35:43 am »
Lovely clear, crisp morning when I left the house at 6:30a.m.   There was a little frost in places on the ground and plenty of car windscreens iced over but the sun was also out to play.  The big, bright orange fireball to the east gave the streets a warm and inviting glow in stark  contrast to the chill sub zero air.  Brrrrrrr!!!

Another 1 hour low hr session along the old railway line and home in good time for porridge and coffee.  It's shopping time for me now.  🤔