Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186561 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #100 on: 27 February, 2015, 09:27:32 am »
I've got a jumper that's older than some of my fellow zeks from my time in the Gulag.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #101 on: 27 February, 2015, 09:39:06 am »
I've bought alcohol older than many of my co-workers.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #102 on: 27 February, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »
...watching Reginald D Hunter's recent televisual wossname and thinking that country music is perhaps not totally a big bucket of poo after all.

I'm with Reg on the square dancing thobut.

Most country is a big bucket of poo, some of it however is sublime.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #103 on: 27 February, 2015, 04:06:52 pm »
^ I know what you mean. Your heart sinks (well mine does) to hear "Arm a little bit Kerrrtreee, arm a little bit Rock 'n' Roll" blasting out the airwaves, with enough 'twannnnggg' from the guitars and 'weeee-owwww' from them good old steel guitars to start WWIII. In my opinion.

However … having said all that, I caught the whispering Bob Harris country music show on R2 (Tuesdays at 7pm I believe m'Lud) and was pleasantly surprised.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #104 on: 27 February, 2015, 04:14:47 pm »
^ I know what you mean. Your heart sinks (well mine does) to hear "Arm a little bit Kerrrtreee, arm a little bit Rock 'n' Roll" blasting out the airwaves, with enough 'twannnnggg' from the guitars and 'weeee-owwww' from them good old steel guitars to start WWIII. In my opinion.

However … having said all that, I caught the whispering Bob Harris country music show on R2 (Thursdays at 7pm I believe m'Lud) and was pleasantly surprised.

FTFY, Tuesdays are Jamie Cullum's Jazz.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #105 on: 27 February, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »
...watching Reginald D Hunter's recent televisual wossname and thinking that country music is perhaps not totally a big bucket of poo after all.

I'm with Reg on the square dancing thobut.

Most country is a big bucket of poo, some of it however is sublime.

Last week I had to do a slow uphill downwind of a chicken farm. That was in the country and none of it was sublime.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #106 on: 27 February, 2015, 04:19:00 pm »

However … having said all that, I caught the whispering Bob Harris country music show on R2 (Tuesdays at 7pm I believe m'Lud) and was pleasantly surprised.

Definitely middle aged then!!!! ;)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #107 on: 27 February, 2015, 04:35:26 pm »
... you can wither a Young Person with the cock of an eyebrow.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

« Reply #108 on: 27 February, 2015, 06:04:02 pm »
... you can wither a Young Person with the cock of an eyebrow.

I really thought that was going somewhere else.

Riggers

« Reply #109 on: 02 March, 2015, 09:25:49 am »

However … having said all that, I caught the whispering Bob Harris country music show on R2 (Thursdays at 7pm I believe m'Lud) and was pleasantly surprised.

FTFY, Tuesdays are Jamie Cullum's Jazz.

Tuesdays? Hhhmmm, perhaps I meant Monday instead. Come on brain – remember!!!!

Wasn't "… you can wither …" one of Elvis's? Sounds like the tosh he'd come out with. Sorry, I don't have any matches. I've just lobbed the firework unlit.

Riggers

« Reply #110 on: 02 March, 2015, 09:28:24 am »
Thursday! That's when he's on. Defo! Just checked. Why are you confusing me with Jamie Cullum for?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #111 on: 16 May, 2015, 12:01:59 pm »
I've just been for my annual contact lens check and now I have the beginnings of natural changes in the lens of my eye which will eventually result in varifocals...

In my head I'm 27. How has this happened?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #112 on: 16 May, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »
I've just been for my annual contact lens check and now I have the beginnings of natural changes in the lens of my eye which will eventually result in varifocals...

In my head I'm 27. How has this happened?

I think mentally I'm about 27 as well but being slowly let down by the physical me. My eyes aren't great either, in fact I'm "special needs" on the eye front so get a discount on my glasses!

« Reply #113 on: 17 May, 2015, 07:54:50 am »
..it's too late..
Move Faster and Bake Things

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #114 on: 17 May, 2015, 09:10:44 am »
Every year I tell my Mum that I am the age she thinks she is...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #115 on: 17 May, 2015, 10:34:33 am »
The SmallestCub said to me, as I limped (this week's ailment, dodgy ankle) into the lift after collecting him from Art Club, "Mummy, I think I know why bits of you are so creaky.  Is it because you're very old?".

Harrumph.

We actually had a long tandem-shouty-loud conversation all the way home about the whole growing up thing and concluded that 'middle aged' is the vague amorphous bit between being a Young Person (with it's very many subcategories) and being Old.  And that I'm actually middle-aged.  Possibly with Old ankles/knees.

« Reply #116 on: 17 May, 2015, 10:38:37 am »
I have one old ankle and one old knee.   Unfortunately they are not on the same bloody leg so I have two old legs!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 17 May, 2015, 12:06:22 pm »
I have one old ankle and one old knee.   Unfortunately they are not on the same bloody leg so I have two old legs!

Is also my current state.  Although the ankle injury was sustained during a youthful act of vandalism, so there is that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #118 on: 17 May, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »
I too am suffering from wonky ankle after electing not to scamper after a soon to depart tube train.  About ten days ago chiz and I am walking like a one-legged sailor if obliged to go further than the kitchen.  With matelot-stylee swearing, obv.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #119 on: 17 May, 2015, 12:34:19 pm »
I'm beginning to think that lack of activity-induced injury is a great advantage of being too feeble to do much...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #120 on: 17 May, 2015, 12:39:50 pm »
After two days' riding with people on uprights (rather than similar-speed recumbent trikes) I am feeling very middle-aged. I will be 44 next month.

However, two ladies I met at church on Thursday (Christi Himmelfahrt service) thought I was in my early thirties!  :thumbsup:
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #121 on: 17 May, 2015, 12:49:27 pm »
I know I'm middle-aged; two of my younger siblings already have grandchildren and the next sibling will hopefully become a grandmother next month.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #122 on: 17 May, 2015, 12:53:45 pm »
After two days' riding with people on uprights (rather than similar-speed recumbent trikes) I am feeling very middle-aged. I will be 44 next month.

However, two ladies I met at church on Thursday (Christi Himmelfahrt service) thought I was in my early thirties!  :thumbsup:

My age-related memory failure had me doubting that AH had remembered her own age.

For some reason I had it in my mind that the fine assembly of beings and the associated meal at the Haywain pub on the occasion of me deliberately sitting with my back to the televisual device, on which world cup football was being displayed, was the occasion of Auntie Helen's 40th. It was her 39th and so it is not the case that someone has forgotten to organise the World Cup this year.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #123 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:50:17 pm »
... you may as well carry on with exercise (sculling and cycle rides in my case) since you are going to be achy every day anyway.

Attempting the Couch to 5K running plan with historically multi-sprained ankles may not be one of my best middle-aged decisions [however, first paragraph then applies].

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #124 on: 17 May, 2015, 03:13:55 pm »
As "juvenile" is young and "senile" is old, it's obvious the middle aged is just "nile".
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)