Author Topic: A lap of the IJsselmeer  (Read 4299 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
A lap of the IJsselmeer
« on: 22 June, 2008, 10:28:41 pm »
The IJsselmeer is the large lake in The Netherlands that was created when the Zuiderzee was dammed in the 1930s.  In the process, the Afsluitdijk was created, providing a way of crossing this stretch of water by land and thereby a way to cycle all the way around the IJsselmeer   I first heard about the Zuiderzee route about a year ago and I started talking about doing this ride with some friends.  We thought it would be possible in a day, resulting in some serious thought about doing it, but busy diaries and not having a decent bike meant it didn’t happen.  Ever since then the idea was still in the back of my mind.  Now, having a Dutch girlfriend means that chances to visit The Netherlands crop up relatively frequently.  Also, I’ve now got a Ribble Audax bike, which was used when Nienke and I cycled from London to the Netherlands (via Harwich) last week.  Being in The Netherlands, with my bike and some time on my hands got me thinking about the Zuiderzee Route once more.  The longest ride I’d done before was the infamous Blue Moon Ride to Dunwich, which was about 200 km in horrible conditions.  But that route has hills, a lot of rain and I was riding a fixed gear bike.  And while my other rides weren’t as long, I grew up doing lots of cycling in the Lake District, where a 150 km ride will see you doing a fair bit of up and down.  In contrast, the Zuiderzee Route is flat.  Really really flat.  Nienke encouraged me (not that I needed much!) and so I decided to give it a go yesterday.  If it all went wrong I could cut short the route or jump on a train.

Fortunately Nienke’s parents live pretty much on the route.  Unfortunately the bridge to cross a canal from their house to the start of the route is currently closed to bikes and the replacement ferry only starts at 06h00, so there was no point starting earlier than 05h30.  So at 05h30, while some people were heading towards Brighton with Simon L., I set off from Almere towards Amsterdam.  The route avoids the centre of Amsterdam and instead cuts through the suburbs.  Sticking to parkland and canals it is actually pretty pleasant.  After Amsterdam the route follows the coast of the IJsselmeer all the way to Den Oever.  As the IJsselmeer was once connected to the open sea, a number of the towns are old ports, which are beautiful, tho I quickly got annoyed by all the town centres being cobbled.  Between the towns the route followed the dykes.  In parts I was cycling on top of the dykes, giving views across the IJsselmeer and the surrounding countryside.  In other parts I rode on the landward side of the dyke, blocking the view of the IJsselmeer, which was a shame.  After Medemblik (another old port with lovely centre, complete with swing bridges, canals, boats etc) I entered the polder (drained land).  From here it was about 20 km to Den Oever along a road with one bend in it.  Even the one car driving along this road must have found it dull because they kept pace with me for a few hundred meters (and remember this is The Netherlands where bikes aren’t exactly uncommon).  Cycling towards the vanishing point for nearly an hour saps your moral, especially when you are on your own.  However, I arrived in Den Oever at noon, which is what I’d counted on so on the whole things were going well.

From Den Oever the route crosses the 30 km Afsluitdijk, which means more cycling in a straight line, but this time with a motorway, other cylisits and mopeds for company.  Fortunately the wind was kind to me. Facing a strong head wind across the Afsluitdijk would be hell.  The dyke is a sight to see and an impressive feat of engineering and shows how man can have such a big impact on the environment.   Once across the Afsluitdijk I discovered that the map for the next section had blown out of my jesery - d’oh.  Got talking to a Belgian guy on a recumbent, who was concerned about my lack of map.  I managed to convince him that I would be OK with my regional map and following the signposts.  From the eastern side of the dyke the route sticks to the coast until Lemmer.  A head wind and lots of cycling beside a dyke meant that this section was fairly dull, but I knew that after Lemmer things would improve. 

I cut inland to follow the old coastline of the Zuiderzee and went through the wetlands around Kalenberg, called the Weerribben.  This region is full of canals, with cycle paths running along the canal, houses with thatched roofs and people sitting in their gardens, from whom I was able to obtain water .  It felt like cars didn’t exist and instead transport was either by boat or bike, or on foot.  I really enjoyed this part of the ride and thought it was over much too quickly.  My next concern was a boat ride.  It was around 18h00 and I knew that I needed to get the river ferry to enter Genemuiden, but I didn’t know what time it ran until.  I need not have worried tho, because it was still running when I got there .

I had now done 300 km and from my knowledge of Dutch geography I realised I would be doing more than 400 km. I guessed it would be about 420 km in total. The next town was Kampen, where I managed to lose the signposts and ended up cycling around in what I hoped was the right direction until I found another sign. Getting lost didn’t please me too much.  The town centre was getting busy as people were heading to bars to watch the quarter-final of Euro2008 against Russia.  My cycling top with oranges on it seemed to win me a few fans!  After Kampen the route followed the coast of the Drontermeer through lots of fields.  I realised I was running out of energy but also didn’t have any appetite, so I ended up forcing myself to eat.  At the time this wasn’t pleasant but the extra food did the trick and my energy levels rose once again.   I carried on pushing my pace as I realised I would be riding in the dark for the last part of the ride.  After Harderwijk the route follows the motorway, which is horrible if you want to enjoy your cycling.  For me it was great because I could sit low on the bike and roll along at about 28 - 30 kmh, tho this didn’t prevent nighttime cycling.  After the motorway section I was only on small roads and cyclepaths. They were alive with rabbits, which I had to keep an eye out for to avoid squashing them.  By 23h00 I was in Eemnes, 400 km down and had given up with the Zuiderzee route as I needed to get back to Almere.  Knowing that I had 25 km still to go to Almere didn’t fill me with joy, but I headed out of Eemnes along another cobbled road when I heard that horrible noise of air escaping from a tyre.  Damn.  I walked the 1 km back into Eemnes to get some street light and then realised I’d had enough.  I had done the Zuiderzee Route and was just trying to get back to Almere.  I was tired and the idea of replacing the inner tube wasn’t pleasant.  Using the last remaining credit on my phone I sent Nienke a text as to my location and a request for a pick up. At midnight I was in the shower, removing the 1,000’s of flies stuck to my legs, before collapsing with warm food on the sofa. 

Conclusion: I am glad I did the route.  Looking at a map of The Netherlands and knowing I have cycled around the IJsselmeer gives some statisfaction.  And I know now I can do a 400 km ride.  Seeing a variety of Dutch scenery in such a short space of time was impressive.  However, I know that there are much better routes that you can do in the Netherlands, with more variety and more enjoyable scenery.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: A lap of the IJsselmeer
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:33:15 pm »
That's quite a lap! Is the lack of hills boring or a blessing?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:39:45 pm »
To be honest, the route is dull in parts and having hills wouldn't make it any more interesting.  Also, having done other routes in The Netherlands I can happily say that you don't need hills to give interest, you just need an interesting route! 

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:45:18 pm »
Really enjoyed that RR, Adamski - most educational too!

That's a very quick 420 km!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:35:11 am »
That's a very quick 420 km!

Really?  I've never done this distance before, so don't have any idea what's consider quick or otherwise.

Re-reading some of my report, I feel that I come across as a big too negative about the route. On the whole it's fantastically well signposted for the whole length.  The route is either on cycle paths or minor roads, so there is hardly any traffic to deal with along the whole length.  It does wander around a lot, but that's the nature of the beast as the route tries to stick to the coastline of the Zuiderzee as much as possible. 

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2008, 04:02:32 pm »
Conclusion: I am glad I did the route.  Looking at a map of The Netherlands and knowing I have cycled around the IJsselmeer gives some statisfaction.  And I know now I can do a 400 km ride.  Seeing a variety of Dutch scenery in such a short space of time was impressive.  However, I know that there are much better routes that you can do in the Netherlands, with more variety and more enjoyable scenery.

Around the lake on either the 'old' or the 'new' land is a classic for Dutch cyclists. You've made the old one as a starter, excellent.
For very enjoyable scenery, I can offer you a few audaxes next year starting in the south.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:57:07 am »
Which route do people follow around the IJsselmeer on "new" land?  If this is lots of cycling through the polders than I'm not sure I can be bothered with it!  Cycling in the south of The Netherlands would be good, tho as I've not been to any of that region.

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2008, 05:20:33 pm »
Which route do people follow around the IJsselmeer on "new" land?  If this is lots of cycling through the polders than I'm not sure I can be bothered with it!  Cycling in the south of The Netherlands would be good, tho as I've not been to any of that region.

The 'new' land route indeed follows lot's of polders and shortcuts wherever possible. That makes for a total distance of just under 300k.
If you wish to try a bit of cycling in the south during this year, I could send you some of my routesheets (at the moment available in Dutch, German and French, English translations will be available somewhere this winter).

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2008, 11:58:33 am »
A timely read for me!