Author Topic: Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?  (Read 62237 times)

Re: Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?
« Reply #125 on: 28 March, 2017, 09:40:43 pm »
I  have a S3X on my old fixed bike (1965 Viking) and another on a newer bike - when i got the bike shop to build up the wheel they supplied the normal Sturmey shifter (having they said checked with their supplier) - it never really worked satisfactorily  in bottom gear and I replaced it with the S3X shifter (which has a greater pull length for bottom gear) and that resolved the problem - I do honk up hills so i now think I should be worried !

The back lash is the biggest let down for me as it lacks the sweeter motion of basic fixed.

I have another spare one from e bay built into a 700 rim if anyone in the area wants to try one (just South of Bristol).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #126 on: 29 March, 2017, 09:56:50 am »
The lash is a bit agricultural, but you do get used to it - and use it, funnily enough.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #127 on: 14 June, 2017, 04:06:24 pm »
I have been out on my S3X Solo in the last few days, and it is gorgeously liberating! :)
Getting there...

danteetnad

« Reply #128 on: 17 November, 2020, 12:30:12 pm »
What is the long term feedback on the longevity of these, any still in use after being used now for a good #of years?

« Reply #129 on: 17 November, 2020, 05:21:25 pm »
They last a long time sat at the back of the disappointing bike bits pile.

« Reply #130 on: 18 November, 2020, 03:53:23 pm »
They last a long time sat at the back of the disappointing bike bits pile.

+1. I think I had mine on the bike for one ride before deciding it was neither fish nor fowl IMO. I must dig mine out and see if I can flog it.

danteetnad

« Reply #131 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:22:38 am »
Hmmm......well, and fool and his money is soon parted: I'm up for a purchase to see if it disappoints me as well, if anyone wants to sell one one, either built into a rim or not.

« Reply #132 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:15:13 am »
parts diagram:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/files/view-1121.pdf

The design is clearly based on the (W) 5s hub architecture, but relatively few parts are actually interchangeable. 

As noted above the shifter uses cable pulls that are not the same as other SA 3s hubs; you need to use the correct S3X shifter with this hub.

cheers

« Reply #133 on: 21 November, 2020, 03:46:28 pm »
I have one on my fixed and a spare that I am happy to sell on, I bought it off E bay some years ago and I've not used it - the hub I don't think has been used at all, built with what looks like new stainless spokes (marked SAP) plain gauge with a Mavic rim 36 hole double eyelet, 20.3mm outside width, 13.5mm internal - rim has very slight brake wear marks, it has a ding in the rim in one spot right on the edge (snake bite ?) but I don't think it will cause a problem. Also 14/15t sprockets, spacers,track nuts etc.
I have a bar end shifter or trigger option but no cables, also will just need the anchorage/adjuster bits which are available from SJS to set it up.
Open to offers - would like it used as opposed to sitting in my bike shed so very reasonable - I'm in North Somerset.

I find the backlash just takes away the purity of fixed but at my age its a compromise to get up the hills !

« Reply #134 on: 22 November, 2020, 05:08:12 pm »
'SAP' markings means 'Sapim' brand stainless spokes.

cheers

danteetnad

« Reply #135 on: 23 November, 2020, 02:54:48 pm »
built with what looks like new stainless spokes (marked SAP) plain gauge with a Mavic rim 36 hole double eyelet. Also 14/15t sprockets, spacers,track nuts etc, bar end shifter or trigger option, no cables,
Open to offers
Pm sent Aeoleus

danteetnad

« Reply #136 on: 19 February, 2021, 10:05:22 am »
To complete the circle- I got one (thanks to a member here) and I've put about 500 miles on it now, so here's my quick summary: I didn't find it difficult to set up- the handlebar end cable pull works fine, and I have not had any events like it spontaneously being pulled from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, even honking out the saddle up some of North Yorkshires finest gradients- it just hasn't done that. The cable run is via a pulley on the top tube. I didn't find the adjustment very finicky to get right.

I've taken it apart, cleaned and regreased it, and nothing internal looks awry- the only comment I can make is that, having looked at the mechanism whereby the sliding dog in the axle (that is actuated by the cable pull) has to move between the stops that engage the planet cogs for 1st and 2nd, I'm not surprised that there is some chipping on one corner of the dog. It's likely caused by shifting up under pressure, or from 3rd straight through to 1st without pausing in 2nd- the leading edge corner gets mashed by navigating from one set of quickly rotating stops to the other, but it doesn't affect the change. The lash is caused by the space between the adjacent stops for the particular set of planet cogs that the dog can move between. It takes a little getting used to, but its not excessive.

False neutrals do exist, but if the gear lever is snapped in position, the indicator chain adjusted correctly, and the axle sliding dog isn't smaller than it should be, then you won't find them unless you want to.

I've found in common with others, that 1st gear is harder work to push than the bald gear inches would indicate it should be if you were on the equivalent fixed gear-inch, but its agreeable enough to get you up hills. The strip and re-lube helped ease that "feature" but hasn't taken it away.

All in all, I like it. (It's also fun to watch the eyeballs from those with 22 gears avaialble as I mash up hills with gritted teeth on a 70's frame with sprint bars,  hub gear, 1/8 chain and my non-aero brake cables and bar-end changer looping elegantly around the handlebar area)

All good fun. It's now my go-to fixed.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #137 on: 19 February, 2021, 09:09:16 pm »
Still want a 3 speed fixed but don't even ride fixed any more ;)

Actually rarely ride.

« Reply #138 on: 24 February, 2021, 07:12:32 pm »
I'm glad you are having fun with it !

It is essential that you use the S3X shifter as the pull ratio is different to other SA 3 speeds.

Did you need a special spanner to take it apart ? - I think mine is overdue a greasing up !

danteetnad

« Reply #139 on: 25 February, 2021, 08:00:42 am »
Hi Aeolus,
Yup, i am using the s3x specific shifter. Nothing special needed in the way of tools once the sprocket lockring is off- only some circlips pliers (and a ball ring spanner if you don't want to use a drift + hammer).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #140 on: 03 March, 2021, 06:24:18 am »
It really needs a trigger shifter that flicks between positions with no possibility of intermediate neutrals.  The ASC had one.  I guess they contain a bit too much actual metal for Sunrace SA's accountants.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.