Author Topic: Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?  (Read 62242 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?
« Reply #50 on: 31 October, 2009, 07:29:31 pm »
Yes and yes.  However, the old ASC had quite a bit of lash in between "driving" and "braking", and this is likely to be the same in the two geared-down ratios.  Too much lash ruins the "flywheel effect" up hills, so it will be interesting to see what it's like.

Shifting is obviously done while still pedalling, but not under power.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #51 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:30:30 am »
It's starting to get real now. What was the final price? Where did you get the spoke length data from, or is that the same as one of the existing 5 speeds?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

border-rider

« Reply #52 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:33:58 am »
It's supposed to be a hack of the 5-speed, so presumably has two declutchable suns. 

I wonder if it'll share the 5-speed's propensity for disintegration ?

rogerzilla

« Reply #53 on: 02 November, 2009, 06:19:38 pm »
It's been so long since the prototype that you'd hope they'd have fixed it by now.  Anyway, it is in my hot little hands and I shall post some photos later, including the mechanism assuming I can get it out of the shell easily (they normally unscrew without much effort before they've been ridden).

Any lash will be easy to determine before it's built into a wheel; IIRC the ASC had no lash in direct drive, but was a bit sloppy in the two lower gears.

Final price was £180 plus £7 special delivery (about £70 over the odds TBH).  I'll measure the hub for wheelbuilding data later; SA did produce a dimensioned drawing about a year ago but since then they have tinkered with the shell to make it take a separate freewheel - so fashionistas who can't cope with fixed can turn it into a £180 AW equivalent with the most efficient gear in the wrong place  ???

I'm going to build it onto a Mavic A317 disc rim, because it won't run a brake and a non-disc rim gets horrible and spotty on the unused braking surfaces.

« Reply #54 on: 02 November, 2009, 06:57:15 pm »
Final price was £180 plus £7 special delivery (about £70 over the odds TBH).

It doesn't seem that bad, after a quick hunt around the only supplier I can find currently is Spa Cycles, who have them at £248.

I imagine they'll become more easily available, and possibly cheaper, eventually.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #55 on: 02 November, 2009, 07:07:15 pm »
No chance i will be getting one any time soon then at that price ::-)
Be interesting to see how good it is though.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

rogerzilla

« Reply #56 on: 02 November, 2009, 07:49:22 pm »
OK, here we go:

Wheelbuilding data:

Spoke hole diameter 67mm
Centreline to RH flange 24mm
Centreline to LH flange 29mm

This is for a 120mm hub; the shell of a 130mm hub may be more or less centred between the locknuts.

There is a small amount of lash in all gears, but it's just the planetary gears from the feel of it; only a couple of degrees so the "flywheel effect" should still work when climbing.  The spring pull on the indicator is very high compared to an AM/AW/SRF3.

The bar-end shifter is very nice, although it will be possible to select positions in between gears; a trigger can't do that, which is why they are the traditional choice.  However, the cable pull on this is different to a normal 3-speed trigger.

It comes with a nice LH domed axle nut with the SA logo, and everything else you need except the sprocket.  I measured the maximum chainline as about 46mm, so it will fit in place of a Goldtec hub with no changes up front.  You can have considerably lower chainline down to "track" standard by moving the spacers above, rather than below, the sprocket.  It all feels very well made, with quite a lot of alloy bits.

In the end I decided not to take it apart, since there was no need to respace it so I didn't have to disturb the cones.  I'll wait until they produce a PDF manual.

You get everything shown in the pictures EXCEPT the sprocket PLUS a cable inner and outer.  I think you get a chainstay fulcrum clip as well but, if not, they're very cheap.  I went for a traditional top tube fulcrum clip and seat cluster roller, which means most of the cable is run unsleeved and it can't be caught between the chain and chainring when fixing a puncture.

Pictures:

Now I need to get some spokes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 02 November, 2009, 09:11:45 pm »
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Getting there...

rogerzilla

« Reply #58 on: 02 November, 2009, 09:36:32 pm »
Spa must be making an epic profit at £248!  Unless the hub is a total dog like the old SW, I suspect SA will sell rather a lot of these.  Sheldon Brown spent his latter years pumping up demand for such an item.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #59 on: 04 November, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »
Was passing Condor this afternoon, and spotted one of these on a Tempo.  The combination (plus the fact that the frame was a jealousy-inducing Fratello gray) caused a little cognitive dissonance at first, but it looks pretty good overall.  Certainly, I prefer the bar-end shifter to the old triggers.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #60 on: 17 November, 2009, 10:51:53 am »
First Ebay listing I've spotted is for the whole kit at .....£250!

Sturmey Archer S3X FIXED GEAR 3speed HUB - fixie - NEW on eBay (end time  03-Dec-09 15:25:14 GMT)

I notice that On One say not supplying (in a bike at any rate) because of doubts about longevity etc.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

rogerzilla

« Reply #61 on: 17 November, 2009, 08:10:01 pm »
It's been road tested for six months in Holland, they say.  The old ASC was durable enough, although some people manage to destroy the SRF3 fairly quickly, because of its flimsy pawl masking arrangement.  The S3X has no pawls.

Mine is going to be road tested in half an hour's time when Mrs Z gets home.

First impressions on cabling it up - there *is* a neutral  :o but it does work silently.

It is really odd to get it spinning and then change gear, because the pedal rpm alters.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:51:19 am »
It's all Adrian Clancy's fault - he let me ride his Sturmey-fixie after the last FNRttC, damn him!

I've just spoken to the Lovely Derek at Old Bike Trader.  He still has several S3X hubs left in stock (at much more sensible prices than the bandits on eBay) and one of them now has my name on it.

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #63 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:55:19 am »
Just seen how many of the BRITONS' pounds sterling he requires for such a beast.  Much cheaper than heshebay.

Just lookin', y'know, curiosity, like.  I've not got a cunning plan for a commuting bike.  Ohhhh no!  *shakes head unconvincingly* ;D
Getting there...

rogerzilla

« Reply #64 on: 04 May, 2010, 05:10:31 pm »
I rode mine to work today.  SA are going to send me some updated hints for correct cable adjustment, but I think it's correct when the coloured blob (which is rather wide and imprecise) is just about to come out of the axle.  Hasn't slipped again, and I think I may have knocked the lever with my gloved hand when it did.

I have suggested to SA that they should bring out a version of the venerable flick trigger, as these cannot be put into intermediate positions (clever chaps, those 1930s SA engineers  ::-)).  There is definitely a neutral between all gears.

The best thing about it is banging it into the 90" gear for downhills and keeping up with the roadies for once :demon:  52 x 15 is about right, although I also have a 16T.

« Reply #65 on: 04 May, 2010, 07:41:25 pm »
Just seen how many of the BRITONS' pounds sterling he requires for such a beast.  Much cheaper than heshebay.

Just lookin', y'know, curiosity, like.  I've not got a cunning plan for a commuting bike.  Ohhhh no!  *shakes head unconvincingly* ;D

If you want to have a go with mine, give me a shout. Obviously my bike won't fit you, but it will give you a fair idea.

« Reply #66 on: 04 May, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »
On my one I have the handlebar shifter which has three good clicks and, thus far, no gaps or false neutrals. SA describe this shifter as being alternatively useable on the downtube. It is, but not quite as simply as I would have hoped. I have this band on mount courtesy of Mr Nesbitt (Thanks again)

The shifter doesn't quite point the right way though. As you can see the cable doesn't exit the shifter parallel to the downtube, forcing me to use an outer to get the cable to go the right way.

If however the shifter could be mounted so that the cable pointed the right way, when it is in the 3rd gear position, as it is here, the lever would be pointing downwards so far that tou could touch the wheel when changing gear.

rogerzilla

« Reply #67 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:32:45 pm »
I run the cable the traditional way - short length of outer to a fulcrum clip, roller at the seat cluster and then down to the indicator chain.

The shifter is in the LH end of the handlebar.  Given the special indicator, I'd strongly recommend an ordinary SA "porthole" nut so you can fit one of the plastic protectors; then if the bike falls over on its right hand side, the chain is safe.

« Reply #68 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:38:47 pm »
Adrian,

What happens if you try mounting it on the left side of the down tube?

Yes it means the cable is crossing the bottom bracket but does it sort out the cable exit alignment and the gear lever positions? or am I being daft?

Matthew

« Reply #69 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:06:29 pm »
I'll need to have a look at that.

rogerzilla

« Reply #70 on: 05 May, 2010, 08:20:05 pm »
Charlotte, the S3X chainline is adjustable from about 41-45mm but you can make it Goldtec-friendly by slipping an extra 1mm spacer (I have one if you need it) under the sprocket.  There is plenty of thread on the lockring to cope.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: 05 May, 2010, 08:59:36 pm »
Cheers, Rog.  I'm going to use it with a Stronglight Mygal chainset and 107mm BB I've just bought from Priceshaggers (On One at eBay).  No idea what the chainline is...

rogerzilla

« Reply #72 on: 05 May, 2010, 09:01:29 pm »
A dedicated bike for it?  Must be serious.  I have the option of "real" fixed or S3X.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: 05 May, 2010, 09:38:16 pm »
I'm going to have my old Harry Quinn refinished and use that.  I had to hack the chainset off after the threads stripped, so it looks like there will be a load of shiny new bits...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: 06 May, 2010, 10:57:06 am »
Another option; for a shorter, cleaner cable run, mount the shifter on the seatstay:

Flickr: Archive of Pants Pants' uploads to Flickr on 12th January 2010

Mind you, for this to work well, you need a rack boss.  I suppose you could find some kind of clamp to do the same job, though...?

Why stop there - what about the seat post?