Author Topic: Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?  (Read 62242 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?
« Reply #75 on: 06 May, 2010, 10:58:32 am »
Squee!
Getting there...

« Reply #76 on: 06 May, 2010, 10:59:39 am »
 :sick:
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #77 on: 06 May, 2010, 06:03:20 pm »
Another option; for a shorter, cleaner cable run, mount the shifter on the seatstay:

Flickr: Archive of Pants Pants' uploads to Flickr on 12th January 2010

Mind you, for this to work well, you need a rack boss.  I suppose you could find some kind of clamp to do the same job, though...?

Why stop there - what about the seat post?

That looks good to me. I'm going to have a play with that
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: 09 May, 2010, 07:56:39 pm »
I haz TEH S3X.

Moar filthy hub pr0n here.

:demon:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #79 on: 09 May, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »
An important tip:

Build it up, install it into the bike and cautiously ride it up a steep hill in the saddle, expecting it to slip.  This screws the ball ring hard into the hub shell.  Then adjust the bearings using the normal SA technique:

1) Back off both axle cones by several turns.

2) Screw the RH cone in finger tight then back it off no more than half a turn.  Hold the axle (adjustable spanner on the flats - grip it between your knees) and cone so they cannot move, and lock it there with the locknut.  Sadly SA don't use the brilliant tab washer any more, which made RH cone adjustment a breeze.

3) Only now can you adjust the LH cone.  You should aim for infinitesmal play at the rim.  Some SA hubs can be adjusted with zero play if they're unusually good examples.

Mine was too loose after the first ride; I don't think they pay much attention to it at the factory, but if the cone adjustment is incorrect, the false neutrals can be wider than they should be.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #80 on: 09 May, 2010, 08:16:38 pm »
I haz TEH S3X.

So you had a good long think about it then.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: 09 May, 2010, 08:40:38 pm »
::-)

An important tip:

Good advice, ta  :)

rogerzilla

« Reply #82 on: 14 May, 2010, 07:13:29 pm »
135 miles or so, and 2nd gear is pretty much run-in and not very noisy at all.  1st gear is still like a coffee grinder, although the pedals spin for about 12 revs with the wheel off the ground.

Evidence of a lack of efficiency - the hub is slightly warm (compared to the front one) after a ride.  Must be 10W or so being dissipated in there.

I'll take it up to 200 miles, strip, clean and re-grease.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: 19 May, 2010, 01:14:16 pm »
Now that the frame's back from the powdercoaters I've got almost everything I need to start building up the bike.  Stooging about on the interwebs, I'm surprised at how few people have actually built one of these so far.  Here's three of them:

All-City | Blog

sturmey archer « Back Alley Bikes

Masi Speciale Sprint with Sturmey Archer S3X 3-speed on velospace, the place for bikes

I was interested how several builders have used a Surly cable hanger at the seatpost.  If I don't get on with the downtube shifter, SJS sell this, which looks like it might be an elegant solution:

DMR Mech Verter converts bottom pull Derailleurs

I won't get it built up for a couple of weeks, 'cos I'm going on holiday soon.  But rest assured there will be pictures...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #84 on: 19 May, 2010, 02:01:48 pm »
A few weeks back, I rode with Philippa Wheeler, who'd fitted one to one of her road/path bikes.  She reckoned it was very similar to the ASC in regards to backlash and she has covered a lot of miles on the ASC.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #85 on: 19 May, 2010, 02:02:45 pm »
*rubs thighs in lascivious Vic Reeves style*
Getting there...

« Reply #86 on: 09 June, 2010, 11:34:03 pm »
I met my first fellow on the road S3X rider this morning in Streatham. He had a grey Kogswell and is called Adam. The bike had metal mudguards one of which rattled enough to make the whole thing sound like a threshing machine.

rogerzilla

« Reply #87 on: 10 June, 2010, 06:40:07 am »
Now that the frame's back from the powdercoaters I've got almost everything I need to start building up the bike.  Stooging about on the interwebs, I'm surprised at how few people have actually built one of these so far.  Here's three of them:

All-City | Blog

sturmey archer « Back Alley Bikes

Masi Speciale Sprint with Sturmey Archer S3X 3-speed on velospace, the place for bikes

I was interested how several builders have used a Surly cable hanger at the seatpost.  If I don't get on with the downtube shifter, SJS sell this, which looks like it might be an elegant solution:

DMR Mech Verter converts bottom pull Derailleurs

I won't get it built up for a couple of weeks, 'cos I'm going on holiday soon.  But rest assured there will be pictures...

As long as you have a normal-sized steel top tube, just get a SA fulcrum clip (not forgetting the insert) and SA roller.  That's how it was done in t'old days.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: 10 June, 2010, 07:54:52 am »
Thanks to the fabulous and splendid offices of one Mr Zachariah* Zoidberg Esq., I am now in possession of a selection of band-on DT bosses, one of which is bound** to offer me the attachment point I need for mounting the shifter.

Should this prove less than adequate, thank you for your advice Mr Z - I'm sure I shall have little problem in sourcing an alternative solution

*Bet you didn't know that was his real name, did you?

**Ba-doom, tish!  D'ya see what I did there?

rogerzilla

« Reply #89 on: 17 June, 2010, 08:37:21 pm »
I have my S3X in bits.  Photos when I've cleaned it up, before I regrease and reassemble it.  There are very few parts, and no-one should be scared to strip one.  To do this without damage you need a selection of cone spanners, some small circlip pliers and the Sturmey-Archer ball ring spanner.

One nice thing about a reversible drive is that the mechanism doesn't screw itself so hard into the shell that you need a scaffold pole to unscrew it.

« Reply #90 on: 17 June, 2010, 08:42:44 pm »
An important tip:

Build it up, install it into the bike and cautiously ride it up a steep hill in the saddle, expecting it to slip.  This screws the ball ring hard into the hub shell.  Then adjust the bearings using the normal SA technique:

1) Back off both axle cones by several turns.

2) Screw the RH cone in finger tight then back it off no more than half a turn.  Hold the axle (adjustable spanner on the flats - grip it between your knees) and cone so they cannot move, and lock it there with the locknut.  Sadly SA don't use the brilliant tab washer any more, which made RH cone adjustment a breeze.

3) Only now can you adjust the LH cone.  You should aim for infinitesmal play at the rim.  Some SA hubs can be adjusted with zero play if they're unusually good examples.

Mine was too loose after the first ride; I don't think they pay much attention to it at the factory, but if the cone adjustment is incorrect, the false neutrals can be wider than they should be.

Does this mean that, unlike a "normal" hub, the the cones each side are independent of each other?

rogerzilla

« Reply #91 on: 17 June, 2010, 08:49:32 pm »
No, they're not, but only the RH cone determines how tight the internals are; it's compressing them against something immovable (generally a stop on the axle).  There has to be clearance between the internals for them to rotate freely at different speeds, and to allow lubricant to penetrate.

The Sturmey-Archer grease for the internals is interesting stuff - it's a dark brown grease and oil mix, and can actually flow (slowly).  The SRAM IGH grease is very stiff, like toothpaste.

« Reply #92 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:51:59 pm »
Ah right.

rogerzilla

« Reply #93 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:28:50 pm »
Ok, this is what's inside (clickness for bigness)

This is the axle key.  The LH dog is quite shiny already, although it doesn't really show up in the photo.

This is the slot in which it slides - notice the wear.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:32:06 pm »
Cool.  Although I doubt I'll be doing it to mine.

Do you ever put them back together and wonder why you have a bit left over?

rogerzilla

« Reply #95 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:34:05 pm »
If you ignore the sprocket, spacers and lockring and the axle fittings, you'll see that actually there are only ten internal parts  :)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #96 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:34:42 pm »
"And this is the piling swivel, Which in your case you have not got."

I ran a quiz at the Tandem Club rally.  For the "table top" bit, every team was presented with an exploded view of a Sram 3 x 7 hub and list of parts in alphabetical order.  They just had to match the part to the position on the diagram.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

« Reply #97 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:36:56 pm »
I find SRAMs more confusing.  They like their circlips, do the Germans.

rogerzilla

« Reply #98 on: 19 June, 2010, 08:57:37 pm »
Update: it's much quieter after its service, probably because it has more of the brown runny grease inside.  Not as much of a rattle in top, and less coffee grinder noise in 1st.  Couldn't make it slip up the steepest hill in the village, and it shifts much more easily; it used to stick a bit going into top.  Whether this will persist as the grease gets displaced from the axle slot, I'll have to wait and see.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: 19 June, 2010, 08:58:25 pm »
So for those of us not willing to strip the whole thing down (I'm too scared of pingfuckits) do we just schlosh a load of new jollop in there?