Author Topic: Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?  (Read 62238 times)

Re: Sturmey-Archer S3X 3-speed fixed - who's interested?
« Reply #25 on: 05 August, 2009, 09:20:36 pm »
I'm clearly not that sensitive! Just use a cheap chain - lot easier to bin 'em every month and replace!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #26 on: 29 August, 2009, 10:16:48 am »
Are they any closer yet?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 29 August, 2009, 11:07:00 am »
As of the 17th August, no.  Not shipped yet - Derek must have been misinformed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 23 September, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »
Email from Derek

I have now had confirmation that the hubs will be available by 1st November, it would have been now but SA Holland forgot to ship the sprockets with the hubs.

1.  The first shipment hub shells are in machined alloy matt finish, with a SA logo

2.  The O.L.D choice is 120 or 130mm

3.  Sprocket are a new design with 8 large and 1 small location spline, in 1/8" X 1/2"
     pitch, in 3 sizes 13, 15, 16, teeth

4.  Gear changer supplied with hub set is the bar end type, but I have ordered the handle
      bar lever type if you prefer.

5.  Gear ratio is 3rd gear direct, 2nd gear minus 75%, 1st gear minus 62%.

6.  SA will be offering a matching chain wheel sets in 42, 44, 46, & 48 teeth, but when     
     these were made to suit the 8 speed only 2 types were ever offered for sale,
     so this is a wait &  see item   

7.  Finally the most important bit the price, I envisage the hub set will retails @ £175 this 
     may be cheaper, it depends on the quantity discount I can sweat from my supplier.

« Reply #29 on: 23 September, 2009, 11:51:26 pm »
Email from Derek

I have now had confirmation that the hubs will be available by 1st November, it would have been now but SA Holland forgot to ship the sprockets with the hubs.

1.  The first shipment hub shells are in machined alloy matt finish, with a SA logo

2.  The O.L.D choice is 120 or 130mm

3.  Sprocket are a new design with 8 large and 1 small location spline, in 1/8" X 1/2"
     pitch, in 3 sizes 13, 15, 16, teeth

4.  Gear changer supplied with hub set is the bar end type, but I have ordered the handle
      bar lever type if you prefer.

5.  Gear ratio is 3rd gear direct, 2nd gear minus 75%, 1st gear minus 62%.

6.  SA will be offering a matching chain wheel sets in 42, 44, 46, & 48 teeth, but when    
     these were made to suit the 8 speed only 2 types were ever offered for sale,
     so this is a wait &  see item  

7.  Finally the most important bit the price, I envisage the hub set will retails @ £175 this  
     may be cheaper, it depends on the quantity discount I can sweat from my supplier.

1 Fine

2 Fine

3 Not Fine. I want 47x17  513x17

4 OK, although ideally I would prefer downtube

5 OK

6 What is it with these non-prime numbers?

7 That is a little bit at the ouch end of the price range.

Time for a bit of a think

rogerzilla

« Reply #30 on: 24 September, 2009, 06:37:48 am »
It's all fine by me except that the price is about £25 more than I thought it would be.  48 x 15 on 700c would allow me to use the bike for racing and everything else, although ideally I'd have liked the choice of a 14T as well.  They are Shimano-pattern splines.

EDIT: I wouldn't bother with the SA crankset unless the chainline really is going to be a problem.  I have a TA crankset on the shortest possible TA BB, which gives a chainline of about 46.5mm, so I will need to respace the hub before building a wheel, to increase the rear chainline by 1.5mm.   Alternatively I may be able to get the chainline within 1mm by tightening the RH crankbolt down harder (you'd be surprised), so I'll try that first.

robbo6

« Reply #31 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:23:54 am »
... but I don't think they can charge Rohloff prices for an SA product made in Taiwan.

£175 for 3 speeds is about £58 per speed.
Rohloff £840 (nutted axle, SJS) for 14 speeds is about  £60 per speed.
Yes, I do have time to waste.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #32 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:27:34 am »
Well I'm conferting a 4 speed to a 3 speed fixed will tell you how it goes.

« Reply #33 on: 25 September, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »
... but I don't think they can charge Rohloff prices for an SA product made in Taiwan.

On that basis, the Alfine is £25 a speed, bargain.

« Reply #34 on: 25 September, 2009, 03:33:18 pm »

EAI 1/8" Sprocket. £19.50 from Hubjub.

Ambrosio 1/8" Sprocket. Under £10 from Parker International

:)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #35 on: 25 September, 2009, 08:29:37 pm »
Some words/pics over on On One site. I rather think I'd wait until they have finished the claimed intensive testing process!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

robbo6

« Reply #36 on: 25 September, 2009, 09:05:06 pm »

EAI 1/8" Sprocket. £19.50 from Hubjub.

Ambrosio 1/8" Sprocket. Under £10 from Parker International

:)
But you have to buy a hub to put the sprockets on.

« Reply #37 on: 30 September, 2009, 08:01:59 am »
Some words/pics over on On One site. I rather think I'd wait until they have finished the claimed intensive testing process!

But why are they pairing it with a Pompino when it is crying out to go in a Lincolnshire Poacher?

I have bitten the bullet and written my first cheque in years.

robbo6

« Reply #38 on: 30 September, 2009, 05:34:52 pm »
Well, I've turned up a pulley and brazed it onto a suitable frame (1976 Harry Hall 531 P.G.). If I decide against the S£X I'll go for a freewheel S.A.

rogerzilla

« Reply #39 on: 01 October, 2009, 07:21:16 pm »

But why are they pairing it with a Pompino when it is crying out to go in a Lincolnshire Poacher?

I have bitten the bullet and written my first cheque in years.
Don't forget to get a pulley and fulcrum clip (for your tube sizes) when placing the final order.  Running it in outer all the way to the chainstay is less than satisfactory; you normally have a short piece of outer to the front of the top tube, where the fulcrum goes, and then the rest is bare cable.  The pulley generally goes on the seat tube and the cable is never parallel to the top tube...you get used to the looks.

I wonder how much lash there is in it?  In the ASC I think direct drive (100%) was lash free, but the others had a fair bit.

« Reply #40 on: 02 October, 2009, 12:07:51 am »
My Carlton Clubman frame has a cable guide at the bottom bracket, I hope to be able to use that one way or another. My preference would be for a downtube changer with naked cable all the way.

As for being "on the lash", it's a toss up between me and the bike.

rogerzilla

« Reply #41 on: 02 October, 2009, 06:34:06 am »
The trouble with BB routing (especially with bare cable) is that the cable tends to get caught between chain and chainring when you're fixing a p*nct*r*.  Once kinked, it will never shift properly. 

This problem doesn't arise with a derailleur because the rear mech stays in place when the wheel comes off - on a SA hub the cable is free to flop about.

Zoidburg

« Reply #42 on: 02 October, 2009, 04:42:03 pm »
Does anyone actually have their grubby mits on one of these yet or are we still in the vapour-ware stages?

« Reply #43 on: 02 October, 2009, 05:39:09 pm »
On-One Bicycles » STURMEY S3X - Its HOT HOT HOT - Approved and on the way.

Comment 1:-

"
So, how does it ride!?

How’s the gear change?

Can you change under load, not load, does it clunk and click and chunk?

Is it scary?

Does it explode under braking?
"

Comment 6:-

"
our extensive round the park testing revealed clunky shifting of the clunkiest clunks with a clunk feel , suitable for a connoiseseur of clunk

lets just say its not xtr or dura ace , but its by far much more fun , should be loved for what it is

but its just fun , clunk click every trip as the green cross code man used to say

theres a 130 version that should work fine on inbred for the ultimate canal path clunky fixed gear commuter
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #44 on: 02 October, 2009, 06:15:33 pm »
'Clunky' or 'Positive'?  You decide.  I don't expect (or want) silky Super Record shifts on the go.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

« Reply #45 on: 02 October, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »
Sturmey shifts are agricultural, especially with the traditional trigger.  However, the trigger is the best, especially with an old AW where there is a "neutral" which you really don't want to find by accident.  The trigger can't get stuck between gears, whereas thumbshifters can.

Unfortunately the review doesn't mention the lash.  If you get too much, it's like having a slack chain, although not dangerous.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 02 October, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »
Yes.  With a fixed gear I do NOT want a neutral. :o
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #47 on: 08 October, 2009, 01:36:16 pm »
I see on-one are hinting that they will be offering a pompino built up with this, um item*

On-One Bicycles » STURMEY S3X - Its HOT HOT HOT - Approved and on the way.

*I was about to say "piece of crap" but I've never used one myself, or heard any first hand reports so let's wait and see

rogerzilla

« Reply #48 on: 31 October, 2009, 02:57:12 pm »
Mine is in the post.  Before building it into a wheel I shall take it apart (riding one tightens the ball ring down hard; a new one usually comes apart easily even if not built onto a rim).  Partly to see how well greased it is, partly because I want to see how it works.  It's supposed to be a hack of the 5-speed, so presumably has two declutchable suns.  Hopefully the Achilles heel of the latest 3-speed - the rattly pawl masking shroud - is unnecessary and omitted.

If I don't like the way it rides, the wheel will be offered for sale on here; 120mm OLD, so more suited to a track bike or vintage frame than a modern road frame.

« Reply #49 on: 31 October, 2009, 07:16:17 pm »
Mine is in the post.  Before building it into a wheel I shall take it apart (riding one tightens the ball ring down hard; a new one usually comes apart easily even if not built onto a rim).  Partly to see how well greased it is, partly because I want to see how it works.  It's supposed to be a hack of the 5-speed, so presumably has two declutchable suns.  Hopefully the Achilles heel of the latest 3-speed - the rattly pawl masking shroud - is unnecessary and omitted.

If I don't like the way it rides, the wheel will be offered for sale on here; 120mm OLD, so more suited to a track bike or vintage frame than a modern road frame.

I sort of don't get the whole thing of it. Can you leg break on it? Is the momentum still there pushing your legs around like a normal fixed, but you have 3 gears and not just the 1.
 ???

Don't question. It makes people angry.