Author Topic: ETA Cycle(&Car) Rescue  (Read 1902 times)

ETA Cycle(&Car) Rescue
« on: 05 April, 2010, 02:25:04 pm »
Anyone any  experience of this organisation?

ETA | Ethical Breakdown and Insurance - Join the drive for GREENER motoring

As a car driver / cyclist I can't help feeling that the claim to be
'a carbon neutral motoring organisation' is highly suspect!

But I would have appreciated someone to recover a bust bike last year.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Re: ETA Cycle(&Car) Rescue
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2010, 02:45:54 pm »
Yes, was a member of their breakdown service for two years. They use independent garages or contractors for rescue services.

Had to call them out twice - once was ok, fixed an electrical fault by roadside. but I had to wait 1.5 hours before they turned up.

Second time was dreadful. Recovered my vehicle after double flats. Tyres not repairable, so they agreed to recover me home - 130 miles. Sent wrong recovery vehicle first time. Damaged my vehicle while loading it onto the second one. The truck  was v. slow, got home at 5 am. Cab was filthy.

ETA ignored my emails and letters regarding complaints and compensation for damage. Always passed the buck on the phone. No response when I didn't renew and told them why - so no points for customer service.

Now with RAC. Much better, not much more expenssive.

Avoid the ETA at all costs.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2010, 02:54:30 pm »
Thanks,

Was attracted by the cycle rescue but..there are other ways to recover a bike

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2010, 03:02:47 pm »
The cycle service would interesting to me.  I'd prefer a dirty cab to an epic walk with a broken bike and an injured me!  There's a spanner in the works, though.  "You must be in possession of photo identification when you call for assistance".  The only photo ID I have is a passport - which I don't want to always carry - and it'll cost money/hassle to obtain an alternative.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2010, 03:06:21 pm »
Thanks,

Was attracted by the cycle rescue but..there are other ways to recover a bike

Especially as what they are offering is transport to the nearest bike shop or railway station. At a guess, nine times out of ten you could walk that before they could get to you. After all the more remote you are the longer it will take them.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »
I've had the cycle policy for 3 years but never needed to use it so can't comment!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2010, 04:38:33 pm »
Never had the cycle rescue but had the car breakdown service for years. Called them out twice and they got me going again quickly with no problems (although I wasn't far from home either time).

Main reason I joined - I didn't want my money used by the road lobby for some Clarkson-type whingeing about speed cameras and "persecution of the motorist" bollox.

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2010, 06:35:28 pm »
We've used them for the car for years

Once rescued from Bergerac all the way home - that worked very well.  I've used them twice since in the UK and they've been adequate but a little tardy. As Handcyclist says, they use local garages so the quality is variable.  We stay with them for the reasons Rhys W gives.

« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2010, 07:33:01 pm »
If you don't like the AA or RAC, GEM offer breakdown assistance;
http://www.motoringassist.com/breakdown

Was in it until I got breakdown cover included with a new car. Never called upon it myself but others got good service.